Scary moment

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Campo Kenny

Scary moment

Postby Campo Kenny » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:54 am

So there's me last week in the rain grovelling around on my hands and knees outside the house pulling the remaining few weeds up from the gravelled area where we park the car........ as ordered by the Mrs. :cry:

I hear a rickety engined car pull up on the track above the house and a second later a booming voice cries "Amigo........Aqui"

****, I thought, I looked up and it was the menacing looking bloke from the Finca 200 yards down the track. Now this guy makes the baddies from the magnificent 7 look like choirboys :shock: He looks like a Red Indian, and has hands bigger than tennis rackets, he wears worn out cowboy boots and a stetson and even his weather vein on his roof is 'orrible,..it's a metal cut-out of a bloke with a shotgun carrying two shot creatures by their ears :shock: His car is a 100 year old Datsun Patrol (yes Datsun) and it always has bodies dangling from its tailgate.

OK, quick thinking here, I shouts Mrs. to go and see what he wants , she replies she's got no clothes on as she's just got out of tepid shower :cry:

"Amigo Aqui" the voice boomed again, Ok this is it, I gets up and walks towards his car.........he's scowling and I'm bricking :oops:

I put my hard walk on, but I knew it was a useless gesture as I was dressed in a white T shirt that had gone pink in wash, Brazil footy shorts, OH's raincoat and my canvas shoes protected by galoshes :roll: , as a confidence booster I would have paid a grand to be wearing my Doc Martins, Jeans, padded checked builders shirt and Everton baseball hat (backwards) which were all back in England.

I gets to car and he starts rummaging in footwell...........I was sure he was about to pull out his colt revolver and start shooting at the floor and tell me to dance as they do in the westerns :oops:

After an age he pulls a package out and says "Para te". I didn't know what to expect..........I shouts Mrs. again to open it......no answer so I peeped into bag...........2 f***ing lettuces........pheewwwww :oops:

Thinking that was that he then forrages in the footwell again!! "Christ almighty" I murmered, up he pops with a few straggly "weeds" and puts them under my nose :oops: ......he beckons me to sniff :? ........"Mint" I said "No Menta" he snarled. and beckoned me to plant it now. "Manana" I said "Ahora" he said as it will die, so I wobbles off in my galoshes for our only little bent trowel to try and dig a hole in the rocky mass that is slowly turning into a garden......it was useless and pathetic for the task I'd been ordered to do and merely bent even more :cry: . He looked a bit bemused and got out of the car with one of those big flat pick-axe type things.........I shouts Mrs. again in growing panic and she shouts "be out in a sec.".

Anyway he plants the mint for me after I had to stop him from taking his first swing with his tool as it was right in line with the main water feed from tank........that took bottle believe me.

Mrs. then arrives with a couple of beers.......his face lit up, and he went back to car and brought out a little tiny puppy which he carried inside his jacket, he handed it to Mrs. and he informed us it was his new dog.......I thought he ate them :wink:

He then said " come to my casa".............In for a penny I thought.

What an eye opener, as we arrive at his beautiful but ramshackle place he picks up a little black kitten and kisses it, speaks softly to his pigs and pours us 2 glasses of his homemade campo wine..............he then vanishes for an hour and leaves us wandering his menagerie. We then get called to a spread that would cost a fortune in a restaurant..............A huge salad made with all his own produce including eggs. A superb fish dish and a massive plate of his own home produced cured pork..........amazing :!:

The only b0llocking we got off him was for saying please and thank you..........he said "friends don't say please and thank you"

We finished off with the usual look at his pics of his wife/kids etc. and bid our farewells after making sure we could return the compliment in June.

For a guy who looked like the tougher brother of Roberto Duran he really made us realise just how kind and special most Spanish people are.

Kenny

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:34 pm

Thanks Kenny great reading.

Envious, well of the last bit anyway.

Chrissie
Resident

Scary moment

Postby Chrissie » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:05 pm

Great stuff Kenny :D
When's the book due out :?:
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

marios
Resident

Postby marios » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:30 pm

Hilarious.

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:53 pm

Great Kenny.

We are never surprised at the warmth and welcome we continue to receive.
At the Bar on Easter Sunday for my morning coffee and Annis when one of the regulars started complaining about his children not coming to his casa that day and how they had all become to snotty and middle class. this was discussed over about half a dozen Brandies. Anyway he got wasted and was being a bit of a pain spilling his drink and making a noise.

So I did what I thought best. coaxed him into my car and took him home.

End of story I thought!

Half an hour later he is banging at my front door and When I op end it, there he stood. showered, shaved and in his best Sunday togs. He insisted I go to his casa. So I informed the OH that I would be half an hour. When we entered his casa his wife greeted me like a long lost friend and gave me a guided tour that included every cupboard and wardrobe in the place then insisted that I fetch my wife.

Again the grand tour was repeated and when we returned to the lounge his wife had magically produced a table of food.

No arguments, we sat and waded through the food with my amigo while his wife stood ready to top up drinks and push more food my way as soon as I stoped chewing.

We eventually left after three hours (when his son and grandchildren arrived). We felt honored and privileged to have been taken into their house and invited to feast with them.

I did point out to my OH how his wife stood silently by and just brought food and drink and though she could learn from this. my black eye is nearly healed.

As a bonus. The next time I went in the bar I went to pay the bill and was told it was on the house as it had been note what I had done. It also has earned me considerable Brownie points with the regulars who now include me in the occasional free round.

I just love these people. Life is so Black and White. Good is noted and rewarded Bad is noted and you may as well leave town.
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

patricia
Andalucia Guru

campo

Postby patricia » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:02 pm

Exactly "his wife just stood silently by" nothing is what it seems I am afraid I bet she has had more than her fair share of black eyes :cry: [/quote]

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:06 pm

Thanks for comments folks and nice story Todd..............typical Spanish behaviour that is somehow lacking in UK.

Kenny

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:25 pm

Great story Kenny. Happily, these sort of things are not entirely lacking in other parts of the world. I once found myself in a similarly intimidating situation, afraid of the apparently hostile natives, who spoke in a strange tongue, and of whom I had been brought up to fear and who had quite a reputation back where I came from (London). I clearly remember the first time I found myself alone in a local bar and opened my mouth to order a drink, revealing myself as an outsider. To my huge relief and surprise, the supposed savages welcomed me with open arms, bought me drinks and treated me like an honoured guest. I came to understand and appreciate their fine sense of honour & humour & am proud to say that I now consider their land my second home. In fact, I literally fell in love there, and am still happily married to my very own Scouse Lass!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:27 pm

Good to see you back Kenny :D

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:51 pm

Cheers Dido, thanks for that........................I thought your seafront was bracing but the last 3 weeks were errrr..chilly :wink:

Kenny

mijas bound
Resident

Postby mijas bound » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:06 pm

Hiya Kenny,
very nice to hear that the locals, even the scary ones, are nice.
hope the weater is better on your next trip. 8)

i gotta wait till Nov/Dec till i get to come back over to Spain :cry:
Via con DIABLO

Hippo
Tourist

kindness of spanish

Postby Hippo » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:41 pm

We live in a small village, Paterna de Rivera. I am amazed at the amount of kindness we have had from day one.
This has included:
meals being brought to us during reforming work,
Free help when we were doing the reforming work, and I'm talking knocking down walls help,
Invited to house to shower etc. while the bathroom was being done,
Dinner, at any ones house that felt like inviting you,
Endless free beer from most of the local bars,
Accompaniment in times of emergency during little ones illness,

I am pleased to say that now the house is done, I have been able to repay some of these by inviting them to dinner, taking them food round,
Helping them with anything I can.

To get the full benefit, we all need to be forthcoming in our hospitality to them, and just go and help, rather than wait, or indeed ask. This is important to us, as we are surrounded by the Spanish in all directions.
Its at times like this I realise why we wanted to live here as apposed to the country. Believe me, it helps keep the cost down when you need something, as I have friends form all professions, who are only to pleased work with me on things.

Thanks to everyone Spanish, I didn't have this much free help back in the UK, and some of my relatives have professions
Another day in Paradise

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:01 pm

Good post Hippo. Paterna is a lovely town that hasn´t yet experienced too big an influx of Brits unlike Chiclana. You will have given a lot as well to be treated like that. It´s a two way thing and I suspect that you deserve your friendly reception. The bull running in Paterna is amazing isn´t it?
Like Pamplona 20 years ago.
Más vale un "por si acaso" que un "¿quién lo iba a saber?"

Hippo
Tourist

Paterna

Postby Hippo » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:39 pm

Went to the last one at Semana Santa. Oh yes, now that keeps the adrenaline going, lol :D Nothing like running because your petrified for your life, lol. :D
Can you imagine trying to do something like that in the UK. The health and safety officers, the risk assessment, lol
I don't think so. :shock:

This is why I really don't want it to change. We have kids of about 5yrs old riding round on these little motorbikes. I know they're dangerous, they know they're dangerous, but everyone drives carefully round the village, and as yet, touch wood, no one has been seriously hurt in the village due to traffic.
Everyone knows everyone. hence crime is low, and we all feel very very safe walking back from the local ventas in the early hours, even when we do meet 7 teenagers coming towards us.. They just part and say Hola.

But don't praise it too much, don't want any one else to know, To most, it's that lil drive through place between Arcos and Medina.
Keep driving through.... please :!:
Another day in Paradise

Big Col

whens the book out

Postby Big Col » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:17 am

brillient Kenny :D

brillient reading, my wife and I were transported into your garden on that day. :lol:

whens the book out???

all the best

Big Col

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:43 pm

Big Col, thanks for that mate

Kenny

katie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby katie » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:47 pm

Great read :D

Mixter
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mixter » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:05 am

Some very funny and heart-warming anecdotes here.....thaks for the laughs. :)

jennym
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jennym » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:51 am

Hi Campo,

I absolutely LOVE reading your posts - that was so amusing lol!
If a pathalogical liar tell you he is lying, do you believe him?

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:15 am

Jenny if you think Campo Kenny is amusing out here you should here the ones he tells in the Amigo's Lounge. :lol: :twisted: :lol: