so anyone see the fire in torrimilinos on monday lunch time

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

so anyone see the fire in torrimilinos on monday lunch time

Postby spanish_lad » Wed May 02, 2007 9:45 am

so i parks in the underground car park, come up and i'm looking in the shops.. i get to the counter and i hear a bang, thinking nothing of it, its like a tire popping in a tyre place when they take it off the rim.

i walk outside and theres hundreds of people looking up at the block of flats oppostite... one of the flats 3 floors up was engulfed in flames, smoke billowing out of the window and the end of the corridor ...

police turned up, fire engine, fire rescue crew.. it was a drama.

i hope nobody was hurt, two ambulances "blues and twos" came tearing up the road, but they didn't leave for ages :(

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Wed May 02, 2007 12:54 pm

Is this the same fire if so an account of what happend

Five injured after fire breaks out in Torremolinos apartment block

They all suffered the effects of smoke inhalation, and were amongst one hundred people evacuated from the building

A hundred residents were evacuated from a thirteen-storey block in Torremolinos on Monday afternoon when a fire broke out on the fifth floor of the building. Five people were treated for the symptoms of smoke inhalation, with two of them being transferred to a health centre for further treatment.

The fire broke out in the Vistasol building on Avenida Los Manantiales shortly before 2pm on Monday, and was brought under control by firemen later that afternoon.

There are no reports as yet on what caused the blaze or the extent of the damage
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed May 02, 2007 3:38 pm

Funny, I live pretty close to Vistasol, but this is the first I've heard of this story. I must pop round there for a bit of rubber-necking! Shame, the building was only re-painted a short while ago, bet it's a mess now. Vistasol has a bit of a reputation for drama. I remember a story of a friend of a friend, who bought a "subasta" (re-po) there , and when he got the keys and went to check it out, found a suitcase in the bathroom full of human body parts. Needless to say it was some time before he was allowed back in by the police/courts. I also remember a story not so long ago of someone taking the short way down from the 5th floor - I wonder if it was from the same apartment as this fire?
If I get any juicy updates, I'll post here.......
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Wed May 02, 2007 4:03 pm

when he got the keys and went to check it out, found a suitcase in the bathroom full of human body parts

That must have been a shock finding that there.Did he keep the apartment after that i would have had it straight back up for sale.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 02, 2007 4:51 pm

swerve wrote:a suitcase in the bathroom full of human body parts
Makes a change - he could have had transplants instead of houseplants....or pulled someone else's finger out....or shaken a leg......Sorry!!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Wed May 02, 2007 5:05 pm

The place may have belonged to a coroner who was taking work home with him :lol:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed May 02, 2007 6:52 pm

As far as I know he still has the apartment. He was a friend of a friend, but I still see him around sometimes, so I'll ask next time I see him.

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri May 04, 2007 12:56 am

Went past the building today - the studio where the fire started is clearly completely destroyed, and the ones directly above and either side of it have obviously sustained substantial smoke damage as well. But considereing there must be about 500 studios in the building, it could have been a lot worse.
No reports of any spare parts.....

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri May 04, 2007 7:53 pm

The story was reported in the Sur in English today. It said the fire service had to come out a second time an hour after putting the blaze out, to put out a second fire in the same flat.
Either they didn't do a very good job first time round (which would be a little worrying) or there was a really determined arsonist living there. :shock: