Check you phone (& other) bills

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

Check you phone (& other) bills

Postby Miro » Tue May 08, 2007 7:20 pm

A neighbour of mine uses one of the many telephone services available for low cost calls. This particular service offers international calls at certain times for a fixed monthly cost. I don't know the exact terms of her particular option, but basically she can make unlimited calls between 8pm and 8am for the one fixed fee. You can find all the various options on their website: www.ono.es

Her latest bill arrived, and instead of just her usual fixed monthly charge, there was a list of all the calls she had made outside the pre-determined hours of her service - all in the hour or so before 8pm. Now, knowing that she never makes international calls outside those hours, she called the company to protest. After much aggravation trying to get to speak to a real person rather than a robotic answering service, they admitted that the error was their's, and was due to the fact that they had "forgotten" to adjust their clocks when daylight savings came in a couple of weeks back. The calls have been refunded, naturally.

I for one don't believe that this was an accident. Was she the first and only customer of theirs to notice this error? Have they now notified all their other customers of their error and issued refunds? Do they not operate a computerised system that automatically adjusts the time? I know my bog standard, off the shelf piece of PC junk can and does do so, so why not theirs? I personally believe this was just a cynical ploy to fraudulently charge customers for services they had already paid for, in the knowledge that the majority will not bother to check their bills and will not notice.

The moral of this little tale is clear. Check all your utility bills carefully. Check your bank statements. Check your receipts from supermarkets and other large stores etc. Recently I have personally found stores such as Carrefour, Leroy Merlin etc., putting one price on a product on the shelf, but charging you a different price (higher, naturally) when the product is scanned at checkout. Occasionally this could be a genuine mistake, but it seems to happen all too often, and most people will not even notice.

Watch out! You have been warned. :x
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Tue May 08, 2007 8:31 pm

I agree totally with you - it is sad but true - we seem to get charged for 'everything and anything' the moment someone has our bank account number or credit card details. I honestly believe that people get ripped off continually without even noticing it! Until recently I never even bothered to open bank statements/credit card statements etc. on a daily basis. Every so often (once a month or so) I would open, not read and file all paperwork. Until one day I was waiting for a correction from my bank account …….. wow ……..did I get a shock at all the deductions that were being made without my knowledge (probably my consent as I just signed on the dotted line when I opened the account). I too would advise everyone to seriously examine all account…..especially those that are on a standing order.
Just as an after thought - in case it can help - if you dispute any credit card charge you can demand a full refund from the credit card company (according to Swiss law). The amount will be refunded to you in full….it is up to you to advise/repay the correct amount to the person concerned. It is amazing how many times a ‘double’ cost has been made….without even noticing it!! Open and scrutinise all your accounts immediately!
- You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note -

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Tue May 08, 2007 9:41 pm

the same rubbish goes on here...just got my p60 whuich states i earned £15.ooo more than i did!!!! Customer service is on it's ar5e
anyway, anyway, love from me.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

check bills

Postby patricia » Wed May 09, 2007 10:06 am

I totally agree. I have been trying to get a bill for Orange for weeks. They keep telling me that they have sent me one! I want to check to see what calls they have charged me for as all they have done is take the money out of my bank account and I have no list whatsoever of the calls I have made. Anyone else have this problem!