animals

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
annie_d
Resident

animals

Postby annie_d » Tue May 08, 2007 9:22 pm

...our house is inland. Not terribly close other houses but there are one or two. They all have MANY dogs. My husband wants dogs. I am wary, prefer cats. He is selling it to me as necessary. Are they? What do others think? Opinions please.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

dogs

Postby Julie » Tue May 08, 2007 10:49 pm

Always a good deterrent, and they tend to love you unreservedly, which can only be a bonus

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue May 08, 2007 11:22 pm

A determined thief will not be put off by a dog or threee - more likely just poison them or worse, which would be heartbreaking. maybe a good alarm system would be better. And cats keep the mice away, which is a bonus!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

julian
Andalucia Guru

cats

Postby julian » Wed May 09, 2007 7:11 am

you´re right, the cats are great for keeping all sorts of undesirable "bichos" away from the house and garden, except for the fact that they like to bring you the remains to show you what great hunters they are! anyway at least you´ll have the dead "bichos" not live ones all over the place!

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Wed May 09, 2007 8:21 am

Our last cat in the UK used to delight in bringing in half a mouse or bird into the kitchen, leaving it in the middle of the floor , as a present or in expectation of a "treat" for being so clever. It used to send my wife into a frenzy wondering where the other half was, so I had to move the washing machine, the oven, peer into every floor standing cupboard to make sure the other half was not in the kitchen rotting away. I used to tell the cat not to do it any more but he just smirked. Garfield was well behaved and serious compared with our cat.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Wed May 09, 2007 9:20 am

I wouldn't worry too much about whether to get a dog or a cat. If you live in the campo one or both will find you sooner or later, in fact you might end up with a small menagerie!

lotofbunny

Re: animals

Postby lotofbunny » Wed May 09, 2007 10:13 am

annie_d wrote:...our house is inland. Not terribly close other houses but there are one or two. They all have MANY dogs. My husband wants dogs. I am wary, prefer cats. He is selling it to me as necessary. Are they? What do others think? Opinions please.
Once you live here you will have probrably cats and dogs, they seem to find you!

I have been here two years in Albuñol and I have a Donkey named Branston, three sheep Fat Larry who I found hours old hand reared him , just bought him two girlfriends Lola and Sheila, 5 white cats, and a Alsation, now the locals think im mad and bring me other animals, of which my friend Jim who runs the donkey santuary in Nerja often awaits my visits with other pups, kittens etc. where we can find good homes.

kexon
Resident

animals

Postby kexon » Wed May 09, 2007 12:17 pm

:I dont want to frighten you too much, but we arrived in spain, with one dog and one cat,we now have two germans shepards,who prowl around outside at night,and a ratenera,who keeps the vermin in check,the three cats were week old kittens abandoned in our garage,which we syringe fed as mum had done a runner,although its quite a menagerie,they all get along and fulfill their purpose.If you manage to stay pet free,then I salute your willpower!o

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed May 09, 2007 5:13 pm

We live in the town centre on the concrete jungle coast, but a cat still managed to find us. He was half dead when he turned up, but still spotted the "sucker" sign over our extranjero heads. We nursed him back to health & gave him a comfortable home with food & drink on tap. In return he does sweet FA. We used to leave a window open for him to come and go, but another stray cat saw the opportunity and popped in to pee on our sofa. Ours doesn't even bother to defend his new, luxurious territory. He's now got so lazy, we have to clean his paws for him after No2's, otherwise he jumps on our bed and leaves a little trail.

Yes, it's only a matter of time before they find you, but don't expect them to work for you. Even if you do get dogs who appear vigilant and tough, don't forget they'll still take a siesta, same as all the locals!

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Wed May 09, 2007 8:27 pm

ok. Thankyou one and all!...We will CHOOSE cats and then see if a dog chooses us (but I do hope not) :roll:
anyway, anyway, love from me.

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Wed May 09, 2007 9:56 pm

Hi Annie

Give dogs a try. They are so loving and loyal. Here is a picture of our little mut and I bet you can't help but love him. Give dogs a try 8)

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed May 09, 2007 11:06 pm

Here's our moggie, watching the soccer on his TV!