Off Roading

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Faire d'Income
Resident

Off Roading

Postby Faire d'Income » Mon May 14, 2007 1:30 pm

Does anyone have any experience of this in Spain? I'm interested to know if there are any equivalents of BOATS/Byways in Spain that can be used and what the laws are relating where you can/cannot drive.

Any takers?

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Mon May 14, 2007 2:06 pm

what do you mean by 'off roading'?
If you mean on private property then obviously you need the permission of the land owner (I am not being facetious, I am only getting one side of discussion out of the way :) )
If you mean driving down a road and turning onto smaller and narrower roads which go over mountains, hills and campo generally, then my understanding is that all roads are public roads, so you can basically drive anywhere that a road (even tracks and dirt roads) take you.
I know guys who travelled from one side of Andalucia to the other, on quads, without ever driving on 'paved' surfaces!
Why not ask at your local quad dealer?
Ofcourse as all roads are public roads, then the vehicles used must be completely road legal!
Best info that I can offer, sorry its not complete.

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Mon May 14, 2007 2:11 pm

Colin, as far as I'm aware you don't have green lanes in Ireland which are effectively treated the same way as public highways but are only really accessible by (as far as vehicles are concerned) 4x4s and bikes.

I'm not talking about the Spanish tracks which you can easily get a hire car down but the sort of tracks that require diff locks, recovery equipment and winches. Failing that, I'll just explore the river beds and creeks in the area but I was after something a little more challenging.

The private property is a no-brainer.

:D

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Mon May 14, 2007 2:26 pm

Colin, as far as I'm aware you don't have green lanes in Ireland
true, the whole bleedin' countrry is green! :lol:
I'm not talking about the Spanish tracks which you can easily get a hire car down but the sort of tracks that require diff locks, recovery equipment and winches. Failing that, I'll just explore the river beds and creeks in the area but I was after something a little more challenging
I've done it a few times in the Girona area. Our instructions were to follow the tracks but not to leave them, as permission was needed - don't know if this was just to make us obedient and follow instructions or if it was true
The private property is a no-brainer
that's ok, I have no brain :lol:

But I still suggest to ask a local quad dealer. Not everyone uses their quad on the road, so he will possibly know adventurous areas where the quaddies go.

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Mon May 14, 2007 5:02 pm

Cross over to Morocco and have some of the best off-roading............forest, mountain and of course desert.........

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Mon May 14, 2007 5:07 pm

Thanks but I need it to be in Andalucia.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Mon May 14, 2007 7:26 pm

Faire d'Income wrote:I'm not talking about the Spanish tracks which you can easily get a hire car down but the sort of tracks that require diff locks, recovery equipment and winches.
That'll just be the regular sort of track that an estate agent describes in their particulars as "easily accessible by car"... :wink:

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Tue May 15, 2007 11:18 am

Have you never tried fording a river in a Fiat Panda when Spain actually has some rain? Where's your spirit of adventure?
:D

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Thu May 17, 2007 2:37 pm

You can drive anywhere unless its obviously private or a sign says otherwise.