Moving To Malaga

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Dixie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Moving To Malaga

Postby Dixie » Mon May 14, 2007 3:11 pm

Hi all just joined your forum and having been reading up for a week or so now. My family and I are moving out to Alhaurin el Grande in June and wondered if anyone can give me as much heads up as possible. I've been out and thought on first impressions it was lovely. I was wondering if anyone lives in or near this area, can give me some info on sky and telephone installation and also who's the best bank to go with? Any info would really be appreciated. :D

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Mon May 14, 2007 3:18 pm

There are probably upwards of 10,000 brits living in or around that area, no doubt you will be receiving some interesting replies soon 8)
Ah! the full english!!

Mydogdylan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mydogdylan » Mon May 14, 2007 6:43 pm

Why would anyone move from Big Britain to Little Britain mystifies me.

Chrissie
Resident

Re: Moving To Malaga

Postby Chrissie » Mon May 14, 2007 6:52 pm

Dixie wrote: I was wondering if anyone lives in or near this area, can give me some info on sky and telephone installation and also who's the best bank to go with? Any info would really be appreciated. :D
Have to say it's an area I would avoid like the plague :oops:
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

Dixie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dixie » Mon May 14, 2007 6:59 pm

Do you know the area well chrissie?....Tell me all lol :o

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon May 14, 2007 7:03 pm

well that was i nice welcome for them chrissie. i bet that went down like a lead balloon

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Mon May 14, 2007 7:04 pm

Dixie
Don't know the area intimately, but I tend to avoid areas with lots of Brits.
Sorry, I'm not being very helpful or constructive here. It's just a personal preference thing :?
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

Dixie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dixie » Mon May 14, 2007 7:09 pm

The brits I can handle ...I thought you meant the area was bad! lol

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Mon May 14, 2007 10:21 pm

Alhaurin El Grande is full of Brits but there are Spanish parts and lots of the Spaniards work in the service areas such as bars,restaurants, shops etc and speak some English. You will find it a little bit home from home.
However, it is a first toe in the water, and it will enable you to find out if you want that type of existence, or want to move nearer the coast for the beaches and entertainment, or move a little inland for a more Spanish feel.
What most advisors forget is that usually everyone has a car, so exactly where you live is not too important, you can just drive a few miles away and find another aspect of Spain. You are 15-20 minutes away from superb beaches, the same time away from the countryside, within 30 minutes you can up a 3000 foot mountain, or hurtling around on water skis. Learn as much Spanish as you can as quickly as you can, the Spanish people are friendly and helpful in general, do not be put off just because you will live in a more British town than most.

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Mon May 14, 2007 11:00 pm

now THAT'S a more helpful reply alan. I would like to help.....but i know nothing! It's too easy to be disparaging here though, cliquey even.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon May 14, 2007 11:55 pm

MYDOGDYLAN wrote:Why would anyone move from Big Britain to Little Britain mystifies me.
What a bloody stupid post.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Dixie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dixie » Tue May 15, 2007 6:01 am

Hello Alan....Thank u so much for ur reply :D The only thing that was really bothering me was the area, only being out there once i was a bit wary not knowing enough about it! Trying to learn as much spanish as quickly as possible :oops: but i'll get there lol, my estate agent is an ex pat who speaks fluent spanish and has helped us no ends she's wonderful, but we shall be taking lessons in the town to hurry us along :lol:

Annie.....Thanks for ur post aswell :wink: I've been on the net 6 years so i know all about cliquey lol...Where in spain are u? I'm sure u know more than i do at this point :lol:

Miro.....Ur post i loved!! lol :D Glad it wasn't just me that thought his post was useless information, which is why it wasn't justified with a reply :wink: Thanx

Dixie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dixie » Thu May 17, 2007 9:18 am

Can anyone tell me who's a good bank to set up a new account with in Alhaurin el grande?

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Thu May 17, 2007 11:07 am

Chrissie wrote:Don't know the area intimately, but I tend to avoid areas with lots of Brits.
I don't want to be picky but "Location: UK" err have I missed something? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Thu May 17, 2007 11:10 am

Dixie, you go for it, what appeals to some may not appeal to others and everyone is entitled to their own opinion! IMO it sounds like a good place to start your life in Spain, lots of brits about for a bit of help and support when frightend to death in a strange new world, close to the coast and work if needed, yet slightly inland so you can have easy access to "real spain" ( I was reluctant to put that but you know what I mean :wink: ) sounds about right to me.

I have never been to Alhaurin as my parents live near Antequera so we always spend our time inland and I have never even visited the coast ( which I intend to rectify when we come out in August ) but it sounds right for YOU and that is what matters.

Let us know how you get on :D

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Thu May 17, 2007 11:17 am

Dealer:
No you haven't missed anything, I just need to update my info. I'm still living in UK and Spain but spent 15 years living there permanently and have travelled extensively throughout the country. I also happen to speak fluent Spanish.
OK :?: In your humble opinion does that qualify me to have any opinion :?:
8)

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Thu May 17, 2007 11:23 am

Calm down now it was only me having a little fun with a play on your words..... :lol: :lol:
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu May 17, 2007 11:26 am

Why do all these people who don't want to be close to Brits move to Andalucia :?: Everyone knows you can see Brits in any isolated village now, different in the 80's early 90's. There are some Brits I would avoid but equally some spanish too! You must be anti-social because it is evident from the postings that most of you don't speak spanish so if a couple you will be joined at the hip for 365 a year. To avoid nearly all Brits move to málaga (city) or any other cities such as sevilla because aywhere else has been done to death since place in the sun started about 6 years ago :roll:

Chrissie
Resident

Moving to Malaga

Postby Chrissie » Thu May 17, 2007 11:26 am

OK - Just having a stressy sort of day :oops:
Think my sense of humour is at a fairly low ebb at the moment :?

Pigeon Tim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pigeon Tim » Thu May 17, 2007 1:56 pm

If anyone wants to avoid Brits then stay in Britain. :P