Moving To Malaga

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Dixie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dixie » Thu May 17, 2007 2:14 pm

Thank you all again for ur posts...I must admit I had a bit of a giggle at reading them :lol: ...I only asked for a bank name lol :P .....Tim as i said I'm looking forward to moving out there brits or no brits lol I'm the one that will make it home not people around me :wink: ...Dido thank you for your post aswell, We move out on the 9th June and I'm getting more excited as the weeks go by, just still a bit stumped as to things we take for granted here in the uk ie: banks, doctors, dentist, supermarkets, but I'm sure with most of the info I've been getting on here I'll be alright :wink: and I will keep you posted as to how it all goes :wink: Thanks again
Denni xxxxxxxx

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Thu May 17, 2007 2:39 pm

Pigeon Tim wrote:If anyone wants to avoid Brits then stay in Britain. :P
London's new national language is Polish! [img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/aiw/tease.gif[/img]
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu May 17, 2007 3:28 pm

Chrissie, Your comment that you tend to avoid areas ful of brits does not match your location of choice ie Gt Britain!

Postings like thgis do nothing but create bad feeling the original poster asked you for information about the area not your social preferences, for your information (are you sure you've actually been in Spain) there are few places in Southern Spain where there are few or no brits, if you wish to avoid brits, why are you posting here?
Ah! the full english!!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu May 17, 2007 5:49 pm

There seem to me to be people posting on this forum with severe personality disorders and/or major issues with their own insecurities.
Retro P wrote:.... if you wish to avoid brits, why are you posting here?
Well done Retro, that should be the FINAL word on this stupid subject. Absolutely SPOT ON.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Thu May 17, 2007 6:27 pm

The pains in the @rse who pester us in the village when we are over there always seem to come out with this "we like to avoid the Brits" thing, it must just be an "in saying" or something :? .
I feel like saying "well **** off then and stop boring me" but I don't, as I'm on holiday and under strict instructions from SWMBO to be nice whilst away :cry:

Kenny

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu May 17, 2007 7:57 pm

Miro/Kenny/anyone who'll listen, you're right this is a strange thing to say, what is this anti british stance (usually taken, strangely, only by brits) I don't get it , the only reason I can think of that people make remarks like this are those who are (a) ashamed of themselves or (b) jealous of other brits.
Many of these individuals who live in the Campo/small villages and do not completely integrate are often laughed at behind their backs by locals who can't understand why foreigners are doing their damndest to move in to an area from which most Spaniards are desperately trying to move out of.
And finally (I do go on, don't I) how come you only ever hear Brits saying this, I never hear Germans saying "we tend to avoid the Krauts" Or the Swedes saying, yeah we try to avoid people from Sweden??
I swear that as long as I have a hole in my ar5e I will never understand my fellow man, I'll keep trying though!
Ah! the full english!!

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Thu May 17, 2007 9:10 pm

Retro, you have hit the nail square on the head with a comment in your post.

Kenny

Mydogdylan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mydogdylan » Thu May 17, 2007 9:50 pm

Well you did ask and that place is known as little Britain ............so there you are.

I would'nt want to put you off moving there but there are good points as well as bad points about the place.

If you want to ask anymore questions Grande or Torre then fire away.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu May 17, 2007 10:58 pm

Retrop you have it exactly, what I was trying to say :) I still don't understand it though. Kenny has it right too, we had an old bore near our first house and he said our furniture was wrong as it was too dark! and one day in winter when I was dressed in black he spoke to me patronisingly and "explained" that when in spain we should dress in light clothes. He always thought he was integrated though and all the spanish people really disliked him.

McT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby McT » Thu May 17, 2007 11:50 pm

Well Dixie, as is not unusual on this forum, everyone has ignored your request for information and started fighting amongst themselves. I have never been to AEG, but the following details apply to anywhere on the CDS.

Sky - you'll need at least a 1.3M dish. There are dozens of installers and one place to find them all is in Sur-in-English. Browse through the on-line PDF version here: http://canales.diariosur.es/surinenglish/pdf.htm

Telephone - apply on-line here: http://www.telefonicaonline.com if your Spanish is up to the job. If not, when in spain call 1004 and after the various announcements say "Ingles" several times and you will eventually get an English speaking operator.

Banks - it costs you every time you withdraw cash from an ATM other than your own bank's, so choose a bank that is convenient. All Spanish banks charge for every little thing, but received wisdom suggests that mutuals (generally those with 'caja' in the name) are slightly cheaper. If you have UK income, open a Nationwide current account. They don't charge for withdrawals in Spain and give a good exchange rate.

Good luck,
McT

katie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby katie » Fri May 18, 2007 12:16 am

Good post McT :D

Dixie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dixie » Sat May 19, 2007 7:34 am

Thank you McT for your reply and your links :) Exactly what I was looking for! I was beginning to think I wasn't going to get a response related to my questions lol :lol:

Denni xxxxxxxx

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sat May 19, 2007 8:16 am

McT, You're right of course, we do regularly veer off course, personally I can't resist a bit of banter, you'd probably make a good moderator!
Ah! the full english!!

Dixie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Bump!

Postby Dixie » Thu May 24, 2007 4:37 pm

Just incase there's anymore info :lol:

xxxxxxx

McT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby McT » Thu May 24, 2007 8:10 pm

One other point about choosing a bank that I forgot to mention - they tend to charge for receiving funds from the UK, so you can end up paying at both ends. If you have a lump sum to transfer (to buy property, for instance) or regular amounts, use a currency broker and ask them which Spanish banks they have an arrangement with. See this thread: Money Transfer

I went with Cajamar eventually, having been swayed by their English website and the "We speak your language" sign on the door. Although it turned out that no one in my branch was willing to speak English! Ah well, you wouldn't expect to be able to communicate in Spanish at your local Barclays, would you?

McT

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Thu May 24, 2007 9:52 pm

Dixie - to avoid possible deletion of post as it mat be considered to be advertising, I will pm you with my bank information and a contact. The guy dealt with my family from the first, set up accounts with no problems, informs me in advance of any new deals or taxes on the horizon, and is always helpful. He works in the main branch in Marbella but you can use any branch after you have set up your account.

Dixie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dixie » Fri May 25, 2007 1:00 am

Hi McT...Thanx again for the info...I've heard a lot about the charges from the banks, I'll be sure to choose wisely :wink: xxxxxxxxx

Alan I look forward to ur e-mail and ty aswell for ur post :wink: xxxxx

Beryl1914
Andalucia.com Amigo

AEG

Postby Beryl1914 » Fri May 25, 2007 12:32 pm

Dixie I have visited AEG and there are good shops and a very good Indian restaurant. The area is great as one reply said for inland to the Spanish lakes and for the coast as well. Everyone has different needs and wants so this could be just the thing for YOU
Enjoy :lol:

daisylulu

Postby daisylulu » Fri May 25, 2007 1:38 pm

Dixie....we drove through AEG last weekend and were suprised at how big it is. You will find everything you need there and I'm sure there will be a good mix of spanish and english.

Does anyone know if the english baker still there? Saw him on 'Living in the Sun'?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri May 25, 2007 5:55 pm

you mean "taylors" and yes he is, on the ringroad, up "the big hill", aint that right dixie ?? ;)