Lemon trees

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
mickhick

Lemon trees

Postby mickhick » Mon May 14, 2007 6:18 pm

I want to plant some lemon trees on our plot but have been told that they fall into two main groups - (i) large fruit with thick skins and many pips, or (ii) smaller fruits with thin skins and virtually no pips!
Can anyone recommend a variety of type (ii) please??
Thanks 8)

poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poshtotti » Tue May 15, 2007 9:08 am

We have type (i) lemon tree in our garden, but with very few pips. 2 years ago the tree was pretty much dead & we didnt know what it was, but we have brought it back to life & now have more lemons than we can use, but it's great to be able to pick on requirement.

Type (i) does have thick skin/peel but the insides are the nicest lemons i've ever tasted. I would highly recommend this type.

Top tip - When you've cut the grass/mowed the lawn, place the grass cuttings around the base of the lemon trees & when you water the tree it is held in the grass cuttings so you keep moisture going to the tree slowly but surely & without over watering. :wink:

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Tue May 15, 2007 9:30 am

We have a type (ii) which at all times of the year has blossom, small green lemons, larger green lemons, and ripe yellow lemons. The mix of these does vary throughout the year though. It has no pips whatsoever.

We inherited it when we bought so do not have full details, but have heard it desribed a a "Luna" lemon.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

mickhick

Postby mickhick » Tue May 15, 2007 9:31 am

Thanks 'totti, will bear that in mind.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Tue May 15, 2007 11:09 am

Poshtotti said
"cut the grass/mowed the lawn, place the grass cuttings "

Grass Cuttings!! I wish ..Mind you our lemon tree is just now really blossoming, after nearly dying in a hard frost a couple of years ago. Maybe the wild sweet pea, that I have cut, that was climbing it will suffice instead of grass cuttings.

Fred

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Tue May 15, 2007 1:49 pm

Don't know wether there is a best time to plant lemon trees but i would be inclined to plant them in the winter as there is more chance of some rain.Then if your not in spain full time they have got more time to get established.Or ask a friendly neighbour to water them or install an irrigation system.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Tue May 15, 2007 6:37 pm

Can someone post some growing tips on these trees please. We had one that got clobbered in the same frost the nearly saw Fred's keel over and since then I've not bothered due to a complete lack of success with the orange trees.

As far as I know, you're supposed to flood them with water every few days and keep them relatively sheltered, however, my theory is that its best to get mature trees to plant. I'd like to get a decent sized tree when I'm next down there and can hook it up to an irrigation system but don't want to bother if I'm going to kill it again.

Growing conditions are approximately 650 metres asl, south facing in typically Andalucian concrete brown soil. I can mulch if neccessary.

Any takers?

poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poshtotti » Tue May 15, 2007 7:18 pm

Our lemon tree had no green leaves, no blossom & we thought it was dead. I kept putting the sprinkler on it, put the grass cuttings around the bass & 6 weeks later we had green leaves starting to grow, 6 months later we had blossom & after 9 months we had lemons, lots of lemons. :D

Our soil is pants, really bad, even the grass seed wont grow. We dont have frost on the coast to worry about, but i maybe water the lemon tree every 7-14 days, but i soak the whole tree as well as the roots.

Perhaps they don't need too much water?!

mickhick

Postby mickhick » Tue May 15, 2007 9:17 pm

Thanks everyone - I look forward to any growing tips! We are on an exposed site 600m's up but several neighbours have managed to grow them. I'm with Fred as far as grass cuttings are concerned - unless you count the 3 foot high version in the campo around us....

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed May 16, 2007 6:08 am

Alan-LaCala
but have heard it desribed a a "Luna" lemon
luna lemon trees are best for home use as they produce lemons all year round.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Wed May 16, 2007 7:33 am

mickhick

I wouldn't worry about altitude. We are at 800 Meters + and are north facing, though maybe not quite as exposed as you. The poor lemon tree was here for 5 years with no one living on the property or caring for it. It survived as did the bay, plum, almond and olive trees. Another wonderful survivor were the Patagonian (not sure of spelling) geraniums and the roses and lilies!.. We have also been absent all of last summer , July to October. Hope this helps!

Fred

mickhick

Postby mickhick » Wed May 16, 2007 8:52 am

Many thanks Fred - it all helps! We have lost a few plants through buying what we thought might survive rather than asking others!