where to live in Spain while commuting to Gibraltar?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
SunnyGuernsey
Tourist

where to live in Spain while commuting to Gibraltar?

Postby SunnyGuernsey » Fri May 25, 2007 5:26 pm

Hi,
My husband is considering a career move which would involve us relocating to Gibraltar. We have decided that we would prefer to live in Spain and for him to commute. We have 2 boys age 4 and 7 so its important for us to get the location right for schooling.

I would be grateful for any advise on the areas within commuting distance from Gibraltar.

we have been out recently and looked at the area of Guadiaro near Sotogrande which we thought looked like a nice place to relocate to? Can anyone offer any advise onthis area? also on the school in this area? or offer an alternative area for us to consider.

Rookiekookie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rookiekookie » Fri May 25, 2007 7:44 pm

Hi there - i live in Manilva which is about 10 to 15 mins away from Torre - nice enough area but not alot going on.

I friend of mine lives up at Duquesa and commutes in no problems.

The general consensus is to live this side of Gib rather than the lower part of spain - there are some problems with an Oil refinery in San Roque so I would avoid that if you could.

We are about half an hour from Gib - traffic is not a problem at all in the mornings until you get the border.

There is some free parking near the border - approx 5 mins walk, but you can also pay and park closer if you wish.

Gib is ok to work in - but i wouldn't live there for love nor money

:D :D :D :D :D
Life is always better with a glass of wine in your hand - and a few bottles in the wine rack !!!

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Fri May 25, 2007 11:28 pm

Hi,

We live in Sabinillas with our 2 boys aged 5 & 7 and I commute to Gib to work. Always plenty going on here for the kids especially in the summer :lol:

SunnyGuernsey
Tourist

Postby SunnyGuernsey » Sun May 27, 2007 11:14 am

Hi crazyred,
Thankyou for replying all advise is most welcome at the moment so we can concentrate our search next time we are out, Do your boys go to a state school? if so how did they settle? how long have you been living out there? what are the crime levels like there? How long does the commute to Gib take? do you travel in by car?
Hope you dont mind me asking so many questions, i'll do a bit of research on the web, Re: property prices etc...

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Sun May 27, 2007 7:05 pm

Theres also sotogrande itself which is beautiful and has a very good school and there are some townhouses & villas in the area that arent too expensive

SunnyGuernsey
Tourist

Postby SunnyGuernsey » Sun May 27, 2007 8:02 pm

Hi, daneinspain
Thanks for replying, we did have a brief look around sotogrande when we were last over to look at area's. Do you know what the name of the state school in Sotogrande is ? I've tried searching on the web but the international school keeps coming up. Do you have any experience with the school? or know anyone who has had children attending the state school in Sotogrande.

Thanks Lynda