Record pollen levels

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Heston
Resident

Record pollen levels

Postby Heston » Sat May 26, 2007 5:29 pm

I read this today in the local paper...lots of people in masks around here at the moment..you would think it would be lower with all the rain were having! :( u

Pollen Levels at 10 Year High

In Jaen province, pollen levels have reached more than 5,300 grains per cubic metre according to the Red Espanola de Aerobiologia with other monitoring systems registering levels of more than 12,000 grains and those levels have not been seen for at least ten years. Nearly 10% of emergency cases in Jaen hospitals this week are linked to asthma and hay fever related problems, according to the Chief of Allergies in the city. In Andalucia olive pollen levels are also at record levels.

Nicks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nicks » Sat May 26, 2007 6:14 pm

Thats interesting, I have a kid with a whole host of allergies, incl pollen and we were planning to come over next year this time... better pack the asthma pump, antihistimine and buy some local honey while I am there....!!

daisylulu

Postby daisylulu » Sat May 26, 2007 8:01 pm

Honey.....? What does that do....my hubby suffers from hayfever

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Sat May 26, 2007 11:22 pm

I think the theory is that people with hayfever should eat 2 tablespoons of a honey a day provided by the bees in their area. The imperative part being that the honey must be locally produced.[/b]
anyway, anyway, love from me.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun May 27, 2007 12:19 pm

I believe that honey works where the bees have processed the pollen that you are alergic to. Olive trees aren't insect pollinated rather they are pollinated by the wind so in that case honey wouldn't work. Well that is the theory.

olive

Gazespana
Andalucia.com Amigo

Pollen Levels

Postby Gazespana » Sun May 27, 2007 6:42 pm

Believe me nothing seems to work at the moment, I've been sufferring for three weeks now - streaming itchy eyes and nose, with flu like symptoms great !. First it was the Holm Oak and now the Olives for best relief send to UK for Beconaise, Piriton or Benadryl. :cry:

yummymummy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby yummymummy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:55 pm

I´m suffering badly as well. Does anyone remember from last year when the season ends here. I can for the life of me remember. Whatever is around at the moment is what is getting me...

mickhick

Postby mickhick » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:17 pm

I suffered from it badly at night - totally blocked up & couldn't breathe. The local pharmacist gave me tablets called Rino-Ebastel and they work very well for me. They cost 6 Euros for a pack of 10 and you take one a day.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:41 pm

I buy Cetirizina from our local chemist, 20 for 5 euros and also 1 a day. They don't always work though and I end up taking a 2nd later in the day against the pharmacists advice :oops:

Are the Rino-Ebastel stronger or do they just work in a different way? I have all year round allergies, don't even know what to, and I could do with an alternative for the worse days.

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:54 pm

Cassandra - I would suggest a visit to your doctor. The first step on the road to allergy relief is to find out what you are allergic to. Then your doctor can prescribe the right remedy (ies) to your particular allergy (ies).

My main problems are dust and newly cut grass. Benedryl usually works for me.
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:04 pm

Guess your right, about time I started getting my money's worth from this private medical insurance anyway :roll:

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:11 pm

Olive tree pollen finishes around here a on Monday. That was the date given to me by the locals (in Mid May) who of course are experts!

Good signs are when you can see the florets on the ground below the olive trees - those trees have started setting fruit.

Pharmacists/doctors are a good starting point for something like Virlux over the counter but self help includes:-
Staying indoors
keep all windows shut 24 hours a day
keep pets out
wash clothes,bedding and dry indoors
shower and wash hair regularly( and every time you have been outside)
change and wash clothes after venturing outdoors

If you have to venture out:-
Wear mask
wear wrap around sunglasses or better still goggles
lip salve inside of nose
keep car windows shut
use car recirc air con function (till you pass out through low oxygen content)

If this doesn't work go on holiday for four weeks anywhere else.

olive

Chrissie
Resident

Record pollen levels

Postby Chrissie » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:41 pm

There's a very good homeopathic remedy made by New Era. It works really well for me and equally well for my very sceptical husband :?
Not sure if you can buy that brand in Spain though.
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:47 pm

Pharmacists/doctors are a good starting point for something like Virlux over the counter but self help includes...
As I wouldn't call this living, you could just roll over and dir!
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:59 pm

I did wonder why the postman was wearing a mask last week! Now I know! Thought it was something personal...

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:32 pm

Hi Gazespana,

I am training as a homeopath and your symtoms; streaming itchy eyes and nose sounds like a remedy called Allium Cepa. You can order it at the pharmacy. If you ask for Allium Cepa 30ch granulados(which are little *beep* in a dispenser tube) and take one whenever you feel necessary. This has worked very well on a little boy at my son's school with the same symptoms. He also had a cough which kept everybody up for weeks and they are all now sleeping soundly.

Chrissie, New Era are biochemic tissue salts which will work well if you have the correct symptoms for that particular remedy and if it works for you that's brilliant. If you are talking about the combination remedies then they contain the main tissue salts that are used for hayfever.

Also you can take a homeopathic version of grass, tree & mixed pollens over the winter which may help to gradually lessen the symptoms.

Allergic conditions such as hayfever & asthma respond really well to homeopathy so, if you have a homeopath nearby I would strongly suggest seeing them.

Anna

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:09 pm

Cassandra? Do be careful with the cetirazine based ones. They can cause side effects worse that the original problem if you are "that way inclined"
anyway, anyway, love from me.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:19 am

What side effects :? can't say I've noticed anything in particular but it's always possible something could creep up slowly. I've been using them for quite a while, 3 years+, and do try to breaks from them but since moving here have found it necessary to take them most days. Most of the time it's just excessive sneezing and congestion so more of a nuisance than anything but it can get a bit scary if you have a sneezing fit when your driving on the motorway :shock:

heathxxx
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby heathxxx » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:55 pm

I suffered with hayfever in the UK and do here too. it mostly seems to be because of the olive blossom that it's triggered here. Unfortunately no anti-histamine tablets or treatments seem to have any affect for me, so it's just a case of keep a hanky handy. I'm quite fortunate though in that it does'nt seem to be as bad as I ever experienced in the UK, possibly because there's not as much pollution in the air here.

Gazespana
Andalucia.com Amigo

Record Pollen Levels

Postby Gazespana » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:05 pm

Hi Anna - Thanks for the advice I'll give it a go, my eyes have got worse Doc says its now allergic conjunctivitis he gave me some different eyedrops which do seem to be more effective. Never tried homeopathic stuff before so I'll let you know the results.