Flys aaaaagh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:25 pm

We had a huge fly problem here in April during the hot weather, it seemed to be really localised to my area as my friend, who lives about 8 miles away, wasn't affected at all. We bought one of the fly zappers that pete mentioned which did b***** all, they just sat on the top washing their legs :x . Red wine works well for fruit flies but the best remedy for house flies is the old fashioned sticky fly tapes. They look really disgusting hanging around with a fly graveyard on them but better that than letting them drive you insane.

Looks like the flies are coming back again, hubby is off to B&Q for more fly tape :shock:

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:46 pm

Sticky fly papers just aren't doing the job, they seem very well practised at avoiding them.
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:48 pm

Killing them once they are inside is rather like "painting the Forth Bridge" - an endless exercise! As has already been said, stopping them getting in is surely the answer! Fly screens on windows and doors!

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:41 pm

Kenny, thank you - it is always good to hear from someone who has just that little extra imagination than everyone else - it worked for Mr.Dyson.
I bought one of the wooden beaded curtains for our balcony door and it works fine, it has not stopped the mosquitos though. I think they work together and while a couple hold the beaded drops apart others nip through and nibble me. Who is this guy Basil rgat was mentioned - is he the local pest controller?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:06 pm

Read this thread yesterday, smugly noting that there are no flies here! Bed at 2am yesterday, 2.15 am. fly buzzing around, spent about 10 mins whacking it with a towel...peace. 7.30 am. fly keeps biting my hand, then dive bombing my ear. Switch on Sky news, notice after 15 mins fly has gone...sleep :)

Dozing by the side of the pool this afternoon, fly trying to get up my nose, sure its the same b***** from this morning, wish I hadn't read this thread everything was fine before :(

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:16 pm

Katy, And just stick a bit of the free tapas underneath 8)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Curly-FAKE-Dog-Po ... dZViewItem

jennyshaw
Resident

Postby jennyshaw » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:25 pm

The flies near us seem to bite, it really feels like sting, but someone said that it is a kind of acid which they have regurgitated.
Jenny

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:16 pm

Nice :shock:

I got bitten to death in Spain last year (October), I have never been bitten by a mosquito but these little sods ate me alive, they never touched the kids but their sun cream had insect repellant in so I'm nicking that this time :wink:

k
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby k » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:18 am

As previously said, Basil is supposed to deter as is cirtrus peel, don't throw it away and make pomanders for indoors or hanging at doorways/windows. (can't get away from screens though ) and citrus body lotions help from keeping them away for divebombing your extremities.
We have also tried white vinegar on the patio table and althought not 100% it does detract from an invasion, you just need to think/smell at times you are always eating a salad !
As for mossies, what were they invented for ?

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:40 pm

The flies near us seem to bite, it really feels like sting, but someone said that it is a kind of acid which they have regurgitated.
here in Canada, we have at least three kinds of biting flies. We have the little black b*****s, sometimes called "no see-ums". THey bite, take a good chunk of youaway. You probably didn't feel it because of the injection by the fly. The blood streaming down from the wound is your first clue that all is not well.
Then we have two kinds of large voracious, hungry flies. When they take a bite you feel it. Then of course the streaming blood confirms what happened.

All bites seem to take forever to heal, become very itchy and, as a result, you usually find that the scratching causes yet more bleeding.

Rotten little (and not so little) cannibals.
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

den1
Tourist

flys

Postby den1 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:23 pm

Hi

I find an electric fan works every time. The flies don't like it and will stay away I used them inside and out.

Deni
:)