Spanish child visiting England - E111?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Sandra
Tourist

Spanish child visiting England - E111?

Postby Sandra » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:42 pm

We are hoping to take the 11 year old son of our Spanish neighbour to the UK for a few days soon. His father has just got him a passport, but we haven't a clue whether he has to have an E111, or his social security card, in case (god forbid) he should need medical treatment in the UK.

We will get travel insurance for him, and his dad is going to write a letter of authorisation for us to take him out of the country. Can anyone think of anything else we need to do?

Also any tips from anyone who has entertained a Spanish child in the UK would be most welcome. We will take him on one of the sightseeing buses in London, on the London Eye and any suggestions of any other attractions in London that might appeal to an 11 year old Spanish boy would be gratefully received.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:10 pm

My friend's kids (Spanish) went to the UK last year on a residential language trip, travelled without passports but with ID cards. Had to have a letter from the Guardia to enable them to travel without parents in a student group.

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:13 pm

St. Martins in the fields crypt is good fun for boys....dead bodies and brass rubbings (but good fun, not naff)
anyway, anyway, love from me.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:19 am

The Tower including the London Regt museum, my kids loved it at that age. Also the British museum especially the Egyptian exhibits.

Mhic.

jazper
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jazper » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:43 am

London Dungeon?

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:06 am

My firm had machines in the London Dungoen and I worked in there a few times, early morning before it opened around 6.30ish. I can tell you that is one evil bloody place, I'd be counting my beads and the Hail Mary's!!!

Mhic.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:24 pm

suggestions of any other attractions in London that might appeal to an 11 year old Spanish boy
Madame Tussauds..with a camera so he can get his photo with...er King of Spain...and others.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

costachick
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costachick » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:05 pm

We go the the UK every summer, last summer my son was ill and needed an emergency OP.
I handed my son's Spanish Social Security card to the A&E reception and there were no probs.
--------------------

I always take 'cola cao' with me to the UK as my 2 aren't impressed with the English hot choc..

If you want things to do out of London then try Warwick Castle, river boat trips, canal walks, A walk along a typical English beach (mine love seeing the donkeys).
My son loves walking around English cemeteries !!! and my Daughter likes going to look round castles or stately homes.

c_mego
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby c_mego » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:07 pm

The note from the parents stating that you may travel with the child out of the country must be notorized by a lawyer, or it's worthless, and it needs to be the parent(s) with full time custody (in the event of divorce)

You should also have something that states you are guardian during that period of time, so that you can make medical choices during the parents absence
Life's a journey not a destination.