Naughty Tenant

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Naughty Tenant

Postby poshtotti » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:06 pm

We let our "supposed" friend stay in our apartment for a couple of months, when she was having a tough time, she paid the bills. In January she vanished - We know that she has gone back to the UK.

All mail is still coming to the apartment & I have been returning it marking it Absent - "Ausente". Now i have had a couple of telefonica bills, she connected a land line during her stay. :evil: but I have checked & it has been disconnected, she must have cancelled the direct debit but not paid the last bill.

Yesterday there was a letter from ASNEF/EQUIFAX - Servicios de informacion sobre solvencia y credito S.L. - Now i'm angry! - Again I have marked it Ausente & returned to the sender.

Does anyone know how the credit system works over here? - If she has run up debts & used our address as hers, who is liable?
If the telephone bill is less than expensive, am I better off just paying it & writing it off as a loss & admit that I was totally stupid for helping someone we considered to be a friend for 2 years?

I'm really mad, I have sent "HER" emails, no reply, tried to call mobile - Switched off, how horrible & selfish people can be.

Thanks,

Silly & nieve Poshtotti x

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:19 pm

Not silly at all, similar to us really in the sense that it always seems to be one way traffic :twisted:
We've done away with big favours now to all and sundry after similar experiences and as you suggest for yourself have put it down to experience.
I just hope the **** has the decency one day to make it right but somehow I doubt it.
Good luck anyway.

Cheers,
Kenny

Rookiekookie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rookiekookie » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:22 pm

I don't know but surely she had to give her passport number to Telefonica to put the line on in the first place.

Might be worth calling them, explaining the situation and giving them as much information as possible.

They may not be able to collect the debt but if the bill is in her name then surely it is her problem not yours ?
Life is always better with a glass of wine in your hand - and a few bottles in the wine rack !!!

jennyshaw
Resident

Postby jennyshaw » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:55 pm

I would have been tempted to open the letters just to see how much debt she had run up, then sealed them and then sent them back.

Would that have been wrong? :?:
Jenny

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:14 pm

Ditto Jenny. I would most definately open the post.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

Alpujarra
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alpujarra » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:15 pm

I had a similar situation with a property I used to rent out.

The advice given to me by a solicitor, was not to pay the outstanding phone bill as it was a personal debt and could not be attached to the property.

You may well get a few others also keen to see their money back.
Don't accept any registered letters bearing her name.

julian
Andalucia Guru

phone

Postby julian » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:09 pm

as long as the phone bill is not in your name it is not your responsibility, just ignore the letters.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:24 pm

Telefonica usually take a deposit anyway so they sould not be chasing the debt..unless its huge.

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:19 pm

I got shafted in exactly the same way - my "friend" left me with several months of utility bills.

Don't worry about it, tell the companies and the solicitor who will start writing letters - that she was a tenant and has done a runner. It happens all the time on the coast.

It doesn't seem to affect your credit or that on the address of your property. :oops:

poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poshtotti » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:36 am

Thank you all for your replies.

Yes, I have been dying to open the post, but thats because I'm a nosy mare & want to know what "she" has been up to!

My only saving grace is that they are personal debts will not associated with the property, phew! :oops:

Luckily we dont live at the property & so there is no fear of registered post being signed for, due to the security of the complex the postman doesnt deliver straight to the mail boxes, the gardener dishes it all out. I have marked our names on the mail boxes so "hers" should be returned anyway from now on.

Not so stressed now - thank you! :roll:
Poshtotti x