Lidl

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:15 pm

Is it true that Ikea is the furniture store equivalent of Lidl? :D

nml
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby nml » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:43 pm

What is Lidl? :)

nml

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:48 pm

Allegedly the most down-market supermarket in Spain. Since they opened one close by found out its not so bad for wine, juices etc and fruit and veg. Awful presentation though :D

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:02 pm

Lidl is a stack it high on pallets and sell it food shop, on the one occasion I went could not see anything I could be enticed to buy. A bit like the PLUS stores here. Its German I believe unless its been taken over.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:08 pm

It's the place where the poor people do their shopping. If you venture into one take a torch and try not to trip over the empty cardboard boxes and plastic bags that will be lying around all over the place.

You may also do well to take a packet of chewing gum for the checkout girl although Sid reckons it is a wad of tobacco she is always chewing on. :D

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:12 pm

I met a poor person on my latest trip to Spain :wink: They confirmed they go to the said shop and swear by their wafer thin chorizo and pavo twizzlers :shock:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:19 pm

I know a German guy is is quite affluent and he shops there for biscuits as they are the same as when he was living in Germany. He also says their smoked salmon is good!! I personally couldn't buy anything to eat from there, just seems a bit off-putting. The shops all seem to be full of Eastern Europeans, complete Albanian beggars outside.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:29 pm

:roll: I've just come back from Lidl...bought a 'Landman' Wagon BBQ for 19 euros...used to cost me that wholesale in UK when I was in business!. I take a deep breath before going in and try not to look at all the shell-suited fat people buying unmentionable food, grab what I went in for and hope the queue isn't too long before I need to draw breath again.
Check out this weeks bargains: http://www.lidl.es/es/home.nsf/pages/c. ... index.ar10

Maybe we'll meet in there...I'm the one in dark glasses and short of breath :lol:

Beryl1914
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Beryl1914 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:43 pm

I shop there when I can as the water is a lot cheaper and the drink is too
Fold up bed last year very cheap and before you say it the quality was good. I think the layout of shops will change to protect the environment when packaging goes and will not look so good but who cares about the layout? I have only ever seen the Spanish,English and Germans in there.
:evil:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:48 pm

And, presumably, all the water is passed by the management. :shock:

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:05 pm

errrrm...I haven't ever seen anything that looked like management :?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:42 pm

What a lot of snobby people on here, I shop at Lidl, Aldi, Netto etc. and I think that most of their products are fine.....Who cares if it is a piled high and sell it cheap type emporium..I don't..!...I also shop in El Corte Ingles, but only buy things when they are on offer.....Fools and their money are easily parted.... :wink:

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:01 pm

And then someone said it's where poor people shop....and I confirmed that after meeting a poor person :wink:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:09 pm

Well I'm 'poor'...so I will keep on shopping there.. :lol: :lol:

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:15 pm

Our cats are fussy and they prefer some of the Lidl cat food to any other make including Felix.

I subscribe to Lidl's newsletter and decide, according to what's on offer, whether to make the trip to Antequera.

Next Monday lots of Italian food products - follow the link posted by country boy to see what's on offer!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:26 pm

Our cats live in the dustbin down the road, and don't care where their next meal comes from.....and I'm that poor that I was going to ask Laclotte to bring me a Red Cross food parcel, next time she comes in from the planet Zug.....

ps. Lidl in Loja...new,..... Avellana, it might be nearer for you than Antequera. :wink:

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:45 pm

We 'do' Mercadona and Lidl in the same shopping trip as they are opposite each other and easy to get to on the bypass.
My other half doesn't like Loja for some reason. I think it goes back to driving in the town when lots of the roads were up some years ago.
Trying to get out of Loja was a nightmare!

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:48 pm

There's a new Lidl (or maybe its Aldi) in Torrox Costa. Passed there last week and the car park was empty!
So (multiple choice question) does that mean...
(a) no customers in shop, or,
(b) customers so poor can't afford car, or,
(c) customers car stolen by eastern europeans, or,
(d) it was all a bad dream and I'll wake up soon and find its actually another Corivan market
:roll:

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:51 pm

I passed there last week too, and there was a mob fighting over a chicken wing that a delivery man dropped in the empty carpark :shock:

I like Covirans with bead curtains over their doors best........bit of exclusivity :wink:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:01 pm

Colinm,
probably answer
(e)...it was 3am in the morning, when you were on your way home.... :lol:

Campo,
I was in that mob and won ..the chicken wing tasted great with the unfrozen chips and peas that I got out of the Lidl waste bin.. :oops: