Lidl

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:18 pm

It's enlightened me too, the PIG ignorance of some members who take everything written as serious :roll:

Kenny

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:25 pm

Spot on Kenny..... :roll:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:42 pm

Have to agree with you there, Kenny.Image

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:55 pm

Martin Page wrote:What a superb thread to to identify everybody's opinionated image of themselves ....
Rich or poor (I'm niether), you get what you pay for, If you want to buy cheap ****, go ahead it's not my life, personally I've found that such bargains as are to be had in Lidl are very few few and far between, the psychological marketing of Lidl is designed to attract the cheapskates in society so it's natural to assume that the majority of it's customers will be from a limited income band,
Finally ther'e no shame whatsoever attached to being poor so I really don't get the gist of your rant, unless of course you yourself are poor , and jealous of others :roll:
Ah! the full english!!

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:05 pm

There is a fresh meat counter in Lidls in Antequera which is excellent. The fruit and veg is fresh and good quality but like all stores you have to watch out, for example the other day I pointed out a mouldy item to an assistant in Mercadona. I think Lidl is excellent value for money. The bric a brac section does have good stuff occasionally - and last month the chinese theme with chili sauces and bamboo shoots etc. were very good. It is a very popular store, more popular in Antequera than Aldi, but Plus is where a lot of Spanish do their shopping.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

Heston
Resident

Lidl

Postby Heston » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:00 pm

What a funny thread certainly got some of you going! Personally I have to say the fruit and veg is always a good buy and much better quality than mercadonna ( much less packaging too)..I love a rumage in the Bric a brac section and have picked up the occasional bargain..dont really buy any other foods in there. the funny things is the one near us is full of ex pats who wouldnt have been seen dead in Aldi or Lidl in England but flock there as it has a Britishness about it!!!!Whats that all about!!! :lol:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:12 pm

I think the fruit and veg is good, especially the cauliflower, better quality than Mercadona next door. It is a fact though that it gives the impression of being a poor persons shop. I also buy cheap ham for the dogs as they are spoilt and won't eat their own dog meat without some ham on top!

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:17 pm

Katy What do you do if a poor person brushes against you whilst you are buying the cheap ham for your dog :shock: :wink:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:33 pm

Being one of the sad and very poor people that shop regularly in Lidl, these are the items that are usually on the list.

Water 43c for 5 litres.

Wines:-
Australian Chardonnay/Columbard 2.59
Australian Shiraz 2.59
Albarino 3.99
Rueda Vina Pati 2.19

Irish frozen crab (800g) around 5.00 but only near Xmas.
Frozen calamaritos (400g) great for Paella.
Smoked "York" ham. German but the best I have tasted.
Jam.
Cottage cheese.
Grated Parmesan cheese.
Chocolate.
Fruit and veg.
Bread making flour mixes - good multi-grain ones.
Cat litter.
Soft goats cheese.
German beer.

Plus a few others on occasions.

I have to say that I dislike the place but they do have some good products and good prices. Some of the stuff is rubbish but you will find rubbish in all the supermarkets. All their stores are well situated and parking is not normally an issue.

Just because their marketing plan is to appear down market does not mean that they are no good. You do not get to be in business for 76 years and open 7000 stores in 17 countries with a krap marketing plan.

Sid

ps. You will find the prices more affordable if you put on a Rumanian disguise and sit outside with a bowl for a few hours before entering! I find that having a skinny dog by my side helps.

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:33 pm

Campo Kenny wrote:Katy What do you do if a poor person brushes against you whilst you are buying the cheap ham for your dog :shock: :wink:
Tell them to buy the tinned dog meat.......as it is really steak n kidney with the wrong label :lol:

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:54 pm

Our family are not and will never ever be snobs..............just because we castigated and dis-owned my brother and his wife for buying "Tescos Value" beans (the ones with the stripes on the can) means nothing, they deserved it :shock:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:57 pm

I send hubby, he is fascinated by all these gardening/DIY offers. We have a basement full of things in boxes and about 6 yard brushes wide enough to sweep marbella paseo. He did get a bargain a few weeks ago, 10 roses for a euro! seen the same in the florist for about 8 euros. :)

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:15 pm

Hello,
My name is Benidorm and I admit to shopping in Lidl, it was 3 times a week, but now I've cut down to twice a week, and with the help of all of the such nice friendly people here on A .com soon I hope it will only be once a week....One day I hope to never have to go again to Lidl.....

I'm so pleased to see that so many people have come out of the closet to admit that they are Lidl shoppers, even Katy, however I suspect she wears a disguise when shopping there..... :lol:

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:23 pm

I have to confess too: I subscribe to the Lidl newsletter. I was introduced to Lidl by...."THE BEACHCOMBER" yes of this Parish :shock: :shock: . It was seemingly innocent; he advocated a certain Satellite Digi Box as being a good buy...it was out of stock by the time I went there but if he had one I was determined to have one too so, I planned and waited for it to come back on offer, necessitating joining the information highway of newsletters and regular updates.
I was an innocent lad and not used to the ways of the big city, I was soon buying things like Microwave Ovens (€55 and very good value), 2 tonne trolley jacks (€15.99 really useful), Squishy loungers (€29.99.. very comfortable) but I did get my Digi-box €29.99..how do they do it for that price? I'm hooked...I hate myself.....but I do have lots of "stuff" which I can console myself with
( I even have Lidl undergarments...shame :oops: :oops:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:35 pm

Yes, I have to admit that I put on a disguise in case I bumped into anyone who knows me 8) and went to Lidl in Coín and bought three digital satellite receivers for €35 each and a video recorder for €50 and they are all still working perfectly!

I wasn't tempted by the food, though!Image (or the undergarments come to that)
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:37 pm

Country Boy,
Welcome to the Lidl 'fold'........However you are not allowed to mention the word 'undergarmets' on this site...it might offend someone :shock:

Rookiekookie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rookiekookie » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:56 pm

Thanks just pants ..... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Life is always better with a glass of wine in your hand - and a few bottles in the wine rack !!!

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:15 pm

I buy all the same stuff as Sid, though haven't tried the ham, don't usually like the packet kind. Wines are great, and the cava. And the chocolate deserves a thread of its own. My nearest is Calahonda, have never seen any beggars, and by the looks of the cars in the carpark the customers aren't too poor.

23 yr old son of a friend of mine in the UK is a manager at a Lidl store!! On 30kGPB pa, not bad for a 23 year old. But yes it would seem that they treat their staff quite shoddily and the staff turn over is high with little training, on the otherhand they don't care how the staff treat the customers either. Annie they do have cold storage for frozen stock in the UK stores, imagine it would be the same in Spain.

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:46 pm

I like to get there as early as possible on "new-line" day.......That's when I open all the packets, re-pack in wrong sizes and generally through stuff around......poor people like to forage and sift for items :wink:

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:07 pm

The UK Lidl site has similar offers to the Spanish one, Italian food offers, but just compare the price of the Limoncello di Sorrento.

After Italy, I know which country I'd rather buy it in.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/i.home