Transferring money

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Steve&Yvonne
Andalucia.com Amigo

Transferring money

Postby Steve&Yvonne » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:26 pm

How have people found to be the best and cheapest way of transferring money from Uk bank to a Spanish bank.
Living in the south west and moving to Andalucia in six weeks time

Blue Sardine
Tourist

Postby Blue Sardine » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:30 pm

Hi

Try Hifx in UK i have never used them but they dont charge commission they make there money in the exchange rate. Local estate agents recommended to us! Not thate state agents are trust worthy! lol

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:46 pm

any monet brokers are good. HIFX are one of the better known. I have used them in the past, no problem. You have to trust them with your money tho which is always a bit scary, the biggest firms can go bump as we al know. Maxwell is a good example. i am not sure if you are covered under any protection scheme with money brokers.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:50 pm

Just be careful which Spanish Bank you choose, they will try and charge you for receiving the money. Negotiate with them first, asking what they will charge, if not satisfactory, just walk away.

Steve&Yvonne
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Steve&Yvonne » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:15 pm

What about using Paypal? If both accounts have debit cards can I make a transaction to myself as though I was buying something?
Steve
Living in the south west and moving to Andalucia in six weeks time

Blue Sardine
Tourist

Postby Blue Sardine » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:19 pm

Thats a great idea, never tried that one! Though i have cancelled our paypal account as after using eBay we had somes of money taken from our paypal account and our UK bank account. This has happened to my father too. This same thing happened to thousands all over the world. They may have added more security now, Once bitten twice Shy and all that.... although i did get divorced then married her again....lol

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:46 pm

HiFX are good, but only for amounts over £5000. They say that they will refund any receiving bank charges, but we've never been charged anything (Cajamar). I used to use Moneybookers to transfer smaller amounts, but it's a bit slow - depends how much you want to move and how quickly. Other way is to open account with Nationwide before you leave UK. You can keep an account with them when you live in Spain, but they won't let you open one
AlisonB

DecorDiva
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DecorDiva » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:45 pm

Halifax are good if you have a UK account and a spanish account transfers are free for any amount

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:45 am

They just get their fees from the lower exchange rate they give you.

Sid

j4mes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby j4mes » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:59 am

I have regularly used HIFX. The rate is better than the banks, and it's always been efficient....

wendyakemp
Resident

Postby wendyakemp » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:52 am

When using things like Paypal you must be very careful about the exchange rate. I think they are very low.
If you are back and forth a lot and need lots of transfers of small amounts you can get a euro bank account from most banks and many don't charge, but again check the exchange rates offered.
Nationwide advertise that they don't charge for converting back to sterling,haven't tried it but some of my customers rave over it.

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:00 pm

Steve&Yvonne wrote:What about using Paypal? If both accounts have debit cards can I make a transaction to myself as though I was buying something?
Steve
Don't forget the paypal charges which is a percentage of the amount transferred, it will no doubt cost you more than a currency broker. I've used www.currenciesdirect.com for over 2 years now, no charges if transfer is over £5000 and £15 charge if under and they guarantee no receiving charges from spanish banks
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

Heston
Resident

sending money

Postby Heston » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:55 am

always use currencies direct alway a good rate but like someone else said always check ur Spanish bank dosnt charge to receive

hunterm

Postby hunterm » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:31 pm

Hi

I have just done a simular thing but I am transferring in Pounds and do the conversion here

E.G £100.000 cost £30 to transfer and then change on the day of arrival.

Regards

Malcolm

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:37 pm

I assume you've checked conversion rates first?

On amounts of that much I always use an international currency broker here and send the money to bank in Spain in Euros.

We usually change at 4 or 5 points above high street, yet when I investigated the idea you mention I couldn't get anywhere near that rate in Spain and would have lost out.

Kenny