Wind turbine?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
telboy
Resident

Wind turbine?

Postby telboy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:05 pm

Does anyone out there have or know anything about wind turbines.

We are in the campo, it is virtually impossible to getting any more than our 1.2Kw allocation without forking out a huge sum of money to Sevillana.

I read an article somewhere in a UK mag that as well as getting planning permission, an installation would cost about 2,500 pounds for a generator of 600w capacity in the UK.

Is planning permission needed here?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:46 pm

Couple of years back I researched all I could find about wind turbines. Maybe things have altered, but at that time if you took the cost of the turbine and tower, planning licences, installation costs and maintenance, amortised those over the estimated (no guarantees!!) ten-year life of the machinery, your electricity costs were approximately three times the dearest tariff from a supplier using conventional means. Like so many "green" things, it is easy to be blinded to reality!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

robperrie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby robperrie » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:49 am

go for solar then,,,its always sunny,,

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:41 am

Contact Grupo RCL nr Ronda - Edwin who runs the place has several wind turbines up and running you can see in action, sells them and will give you all the advice you need. He also does solar and gennies.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:07 pm

I thought a gennie was a lady donkey. Congratulations to that man for diversifying in business. :?

House in Vejer
Tourist

Postby House in Vejer » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:20 pm

Hi I live with panels and a wind turbine and to be honest the wind turbine is a waste of time. Its 400watts but only produces this if it´s a VERY windy day. The rest of the time even on breezy days it produces under 25% of this.
Put your money into more panels instead.

robperrie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby robperrie » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:30 pm

thats true, i have a wind turbine and it comes in affect when its cloudy and during winter, but panels are a better bet and a turbine jus as a add on, prices are coming down soon for solar panels(PV)...

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:39 pm

One day someone will publish the true figures for the giant ones already scarring land- and sea-scapes all over, and reveal that they are a political ploy, not a way of producing power efficiently.
Experts - you are needed!! :cry:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:37 pm

Well, according to my missus (and little peachy) I generate a lot of hot air doesn't seem to save me any money though :wink:
Ah! the full english!!

Don

Postby Don » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:04 pm

To get back to the question, there is quite a lot of useful info on small wind turbines at http://www.bettergeneration.co.uk/wind- ... bines.html

At the domestic scale it is possible to get to kW generation if you have the airflow but that is way short of the MW generation for the big turbines. I am afraid PV technology does not really yet compete in terms of power output unless you have a spare field and the investment is still way higher per unit electricity output.

Solar hot water is basically cost effective in Andalucia but I know many who would still opt for a diesel stanby gen set either to supplement the mains electric supply or as a back up to a wind gen set.

Andalucia does host the worlds largest solar power platform at www.solucar.es where the second tower plant is just being topped out now. They use 3 different solar technologies to produce grid electricity and I do find the solar tower and heliostat field more aesthetically pleasing than a hillside of wind turbines but we really do need a portfolio of technologies for the grid supply for better continuity of supply.

I think the most telling technical fact is that it is far easier and cheaper to reduce electricity consumption than to generate electricity.