im sorry i need to moan!!!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
princess peach
Andalucia Guru

im sorry i need to moan!!!

Postby princess peach » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:41 am

Right,here is my gripe(does anyone else feel the same)
My family live in Spain,my husband works and pays tax in Gibraltar.(over 100 pounds a week paid in Tax to Gibraltar government)
We are not allowed healthcare(husband is, me and child are not).My child cannot go to school there.
So why are the Gibraltar people allowed to go to UK for health/medical treatment,and why are they allowed to go to college in uk as well???
can someone please tell me why????
My husband pays 100.00pounds a week tax,to walk on the Gibraltar streets(when he has to) and occasionally use the rubbish bins!
Does anyone else feel this way too????
This really gets my back up!!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:30 am

I don;t know why, but when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about a completely different subject - of a more personal nature, involving complaints from neighbours and thin walls! 8)
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:30 am

Surely you knew all this before taking the job in Gib? Seems a bit late to be complaining about it now. You may disagree with the way it works, but it ain't going to change! Moaning about it might get it off your chest, but that's about the only good it's going to do you. :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:47 am

Yep, just proves the point.Britain is too soft..........unless you're British :idea:

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:11 am

So why are the Gibraltar people allowed to go to UK for health/medical treatment,and why are they allowed to go to college in uk as well???
Because they are British, and it is a British Overseas Territory and there are certain rights that go with that.

Personally I have always believed that it should be given to the Spanish, but that is another story.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:57 pm

Hi Princess,

I also work in Gib & live in Spain. The Giblets are only British when they want to be & only part of Europe when they want to be.

If your husband lives in Spain then he can transfer your health cover to Spain by getting a form from the Gibraltar tax office (the one near the Early Learning Centre). You then need to take this to your local social security office with everybody's original passports, your children's full birth certificates, a marriage certificate ( if not married then an Empadronamiento showing that you have lived together for more than one year) and the afformentioned form. On this they will write the names of all people to be covered, sign & stamp it. You can then take this piece of paper and register with your local doctor. Keep it safe in case of any future hospital emergencies (although, you will be put on the computer and this shouldn't be necessary). All your medical care will then be charged to Gibraltar where your hubby pays his tax.

This does work as I've just done it and my 2 kids & common law hubby are covered.

Now, wasn't it easy to give some constructive advice people and no frank, you do not know before you work in Gib as the authorities tell you that you will automatically be covered in Spain. It's only when you start working there that you find out the true situation.
Personally I have always believed that it should be given to the Spanish, but that is another story.
And Spain should give back Ceuta & Melilla. Unfortunately we are not in charge and are unable to make the decisions!!

If you need any other help Princess Peach please feel free to PM me.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:03 pm

Can you get health care and education in Spain?

Sorry, somehow I missed the last post!

Presumably she did look into this before she moved abroad, but untill you are affected by it, you have no idea how many "officials" give out the wrong information!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:33 pm

well,in reply to all that.I have tried to cover myself I have an EU health insurance card for all members of my family(one that you need if you go on holiday)so if my family is ever poorly,i would go over to Gib and pretend i was here on holiday.
I also have spanish residency and some letter(cant quite remember what)that will cover me in Spain for hospitel treatment.My son does go to school in Spain,and has done for the last 2.5 years.He did go to Gib school when we first come over here,and it sent him completely backward-he forgot all his times tables etc...so lazy!

Alan -La Cala-you mentioned that
Because they are British, and it is a British Overseas Territory and there are certain rights that go with that.
Surely then it HAS to work both ways!!!
I totally understand that if you do not pay into the system you shouldnt be entitled.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:42 pm

OK-here is another problem i came across!
all the job vacancys in the shop windows.."Must speak english and spanish"..in other words-must be gibraltarian or spanish(or if you are lucky-english who can speak spanish.)
To work in main street where 99.9% of customers are tourists..I find when i go into these shops the assistants can barely speak any english...grrrrr it makes me so mad!
Thats why i prefer to live in spain.the peeps are so much nicer! :twisted: :twisted:
Last edited by princess peach on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:12 pm

And Spain should give back Ceuta & Melilla.
Absolutely.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:49 pm

You Cannot obtain a UK passport from Gibraltar unless you (not your husband) live or work there, no matter what you say or would have us believe, I know this for a fact I think you are "confused"
Ah! the full english!!

Rotten Johnny

Postby Rotten Johnny » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:21 pm

Unless they have changed the rules in the last six months you cannot as Retro P says, get a British passport renewed in Gibraltar, the reason I know is because I was involved in exactly the same circumstances earlier this year when a female relative who was abandoned by a low lifer who worked in Gib was refused a passport renewal in Gib and told to go through the process via Madrid.
Her cumstances were almost identical to the ones described earlier, I don't know about being confused but I certainly know that you cannot get a British passport renewed in gibraltar.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:22 am

:wink:
Last edited by princess peach on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:31 pm

This subject has come up before. See:-

http://www.andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic-t11611.htm

Following that correspondence I wrote to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Consular Section in London asking for their definitive answer. The reply was:

"Thanks you for your enquiry and your concern over the possibility of people being able to apply for more than one passport, by perhaps applying in Gibraltar and in Spain.

The Government of Gibraltar has re-confimed their policy to me on issuing passports. As you mention below, it is both to Gibraltarians and to British residents who work there. They would also assist a person in an emergency - for example a person who had lost their passport on the flight between the UK and Gibraltar. However I would like to reassure you that before any passports are issued - either overseas or in the UK - checks are made against a central passport database, to ensure that a person cannot fraudulently obtain a second passport.

Thank you for your concern in this matter - you are quite right to point out the potential dangers of abuse of travel documentation.

best regards
K E Roskilly
Passports and Documentary Services
Consular Directorate
Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Old Admiralty Building
London SW1A 2AH

I think I would believe this advice over what some say here. I would suggest that if princess peach has a son who got a Gibraltar Passport then it might be best if she kept quite about something that is clearly wrong! :shock:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:43 pm

:)
Last edited by princess peach on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:59 pm

:D
Last edited by princess peach on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:47 pm

Princess Peach. those of us who actually have a passport and have renewed it (in my case several times now) know the procedure, first you apply for a new passport, offering whatever else is necessary in the way of photographs, birth certs etc, you MUST then SURRENDER your old passport, how then did you get back into Spain from Gibraltar, I think the hole is big enough now, I'd quit before it collapses and swallows you up :wink: :wink: :wink:
Ah! the full english!!

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:03 pm

she said she has Spanish residencia

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:18 pm

:roll:
Last edited by princess peach on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:26 pm

I have just joined this forum,and so far...not impressed...think majority of you wind up merchants are old men with nout better to do!!!!!!!
Last edited by princess peach on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.