Complaints Book

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gymcrazy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Complaints Book

Postby gymcrazy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:19 pm

Could anyone give me more details about the Complaints book various establishments have? What are the implications of someone filling this out (if any) for the establishment?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:31 pm

Not sure but the establishments do not like it and it (usually) leads to a satisfactory conclusion. I have filled it in twice, a garage and a restaurant. It is not really a book, it is a pad similar to invoices. there are 3 copies one for the business, one for you and one to take to the nearest consumer office. When I visited the garage to fill it in they were very arrogant and rude, however, after a few days they rang and offered me my money back.

Complaints are dealt with by the junta and I suspect they lead to more intensive investigations.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:08 pm

Spelling probably incorrect but is called Hojas de reclamaccion its an offence not to have this available in any business or organisation.

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:17 am

When this is filled in one of the forms goes to the town hall and they have to look into the complaint.

It can be used as a threat and as Katy said sometimes the firm involved will offer to make good the wrong, hoping that you won't take it any further.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:06 am

I have not actually been through this but did ask a garage for it when we were grossly overcharged for a repair. Up until that point they were sticking by their guns and insisting that the price was fair, and no amount of discussion was going to make them feel any differently. OH still tried to discuss it when I simply said pay the man and I asked for the form. There was a stunned silence, and great deal of head scratching and then for some reason they decided that maybe they could discount the bill by €500 :lol:

So even though I did not have to fill out the form the mere request seemed to do the trick

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:40 am

My business was inspected regularly regarding complaints books, we had to show that the book was 'ready to hand' and that a sign , in Spanish and English was displayed in a prominent place...For non compliance the business could be fined, and we had to pay for the books and signs...We had numerous retail outlets and traded for quite a number of years, and only ever had one complaint !..We did receive a telephone call from the 'complaints office' about the complaint, but they advised us that it wasn't going any further, as they had received 15 complaints from the same woman, all different shops...she was a 'nutter' who had found a new hobby....Well at least they did follow it up..
I have also, once, asked to use the complaints book, again over a garage bill, and the garage quickly checked the bill and apologised, saying that it had been calculated incorrectly...I think that they had added the date in....
I don't advocate that everyone should start demanding to use the complaints system, but it certainly does deter some of the more unscrupulous businesses.. :wink:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:18 pm

Didn't help when I requested the complaints book at an office of RACC over a request for a No Claims Bonus certificate (that they wouldn't give me), in order to prove to my new insurers that I had a full NCB. They smilingly told me that as a "members club", they don't have to have one. Nice.
Tip: Don't use RACC to insure your car - or anything else. Try Linea Directa - they were very understanding, and accepted my "palabra de honor" that I have a full NCB.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:53 pm

dont they have to have one by law ? or i spose cos they are not open to the public ?

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:00 pm

Every business has to have one it was explained to me by an inspector who visited our local bar €3 to buy one and a €3000 fine if they don't buy one.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:21 pm

Only businesses. Not private members clubs. Incredible but true. RACC are classified as a club. Amazing loophole if you ask me. I even threatened to bring the police since they had no complaints book. They just smiled and said "be our guest".
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

j4mes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby j4mes » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:26 am

I have just been advised by BMW to go in and fill in their complaints book!

The car went in 2 weeks ago on a grua. 1078 euros to replace the fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel sensor.

I went and collected it a couple of days ago, got it home and noticed that it was damaged (the engine tray (think thats what it is called) has been broken, the front skirt on the bumper has a piece missing and the headrests have "popped up" (this happens in the eventuality of a bump)... Seems quite obvious it's been smacked coming off of or going on to a ramp (either grua or BMW)....

Anyway, because BMW signed the car in, the grua will accept no responsiblity....BMW said the car was so dirty that they didnt notice the damage and as such will not accept responsiblity...

It wasn't damaged when it went in (i have the piece of paper from the grua showing any marks) so either BMW or the Grua have broken it.

Will filling out the complaints book help me resolve this, or is it just that, a complaint?....Thinking I am going to have to ask a lawyer to send a letter stating my intentions???

Whadda ya think?

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:34 am

got it home and noticed that it was damaged

That's where you're going to have a problem, :idea: you should have inspected it before you left the garage.

Sorry for you and hope you get some recompense but don't hold your breath.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:40 am

Just a thought, but there is a chance, a very good chance that the ECU has recorded the data of the incident and when the headrests popped up.

I'd personally try and find someone who can extract this data for you........if it linked incident against time then you could have a strong case.

Kenny

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:50 am

Nice one Clueso Kenny even in your weakened state you've come up with a gem.

Now why didn't I think of that - never owned a car with ECU that's why.

J4mes looks like you could be in with a chance after all.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:20 pm

Can someone explain ECU please :)

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:26 pm

Sorry Bong.......ECU = Engine control unit.

It's basically an on board PC that controls all electronic activity in the vehicle.

A lot of these units record every happening and should something go wrong somewhere on the car will produce an "error code" which points to where a fault lies.

With the correct software you can plug into the ECU and read it and all it has done.

Kenny

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:54 pm

[quote="Campo Kenny".ECU = Engine control unit.
<snipped>
With the correct software you can plug into the ECU and read it and all it has done.

Kenny[/quote]
Thanks but one more question......
does it register the date it occured ?

j4mes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby j4mes » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:16 pm

Safeashouses.....I know.....Still what can you do..it's not something one would notice unless it's pointed out (it was in fact my 6 yr old son who said "dad, wheres that bit gone from the front"!!! and then "hey dad look, i can see metal bits on the headrests!!!!"). I think this is why BMW signed it in, they simply didn't notice....

It is a good idea about the ECU, one I will explore, thanks Kenny...

Terribly frustrating, thats both Salamanca in Banus and Guarneri in Malaga that I have had trouble with.....................

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:17 pm

I asked our local friendly bar-owner what happened if someone filled in his complaints book. He said in Spanglish 'I show you what 'appenz' and with a smile on his face produced a huge walking stickand began to make threatening gestures!

(This was a joke, I didn't want to complain about anything, I was just enquiring!).

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:39 pm

Every time I've asked my friendly local bar owner for his he's told me that his was full. :lol: