Price of petrol

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Price of petrol

Postby anyroads » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:18 pm

On my way home from the station carpark tonight I dropped into Morrisons to get some petrol. It is now 99.9pence per litre, say 1.42 euros.

What is the average price over there at the moment ?

anyroads

freecatsrus
Resident

Postby freecatsrus » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:20 pm

In eroski the other day it was 0.99 euros about 65p.

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:05 am

However for those of us earning euros, its just like paying 99 pence for you guys earning pounds.

Its probably more expensive for us seeing that wages are lower here!

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:14 am

OOOH

You have caught on ...all depends on where you earn your money and where you spend it!!!

Fred

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:05 pm

On my way thru France i seen petrol for 1.30 so anyone driving back ide advise to fill up in irun or there abouts
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:34 pm

.......and always take a detour off the French autoroute as you will find prices much better in the local towns (sometimes up to EUR 0.30 per ltr cheaper).......stop for petrol and have a nice lunch .....the petrol saving will pay for it :wink: :wink:
- You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note -

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:19 pm

pertol in liverpool is around the quid a litre. not seen it it here yet only got back today so i'll have a look tomorrow.

always find the cheapest petrol to be in eroski fuengerola, 5c cheaper a litre etc.

blondie at last ! i've been saying this for years ! hahahah ... i always work things like this out as a percentage of an average wage in the country i'm talking about.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:18 pm

spanish_lad wrote:blondie at last ! i've been saying this for years ! hahahah ... i always work things like this out as a percentage of an average wage in the country i'm talking about.
Too right, SL. So many people that have lived here years talk in pounds and that doesn't really mean much to me now. A recent trip to Gib was a eye-opener for my OH who hasn't been back to the UK for 7 years ..... he kept thinking the prices were in euros, then getting an 'orrible shock :
"2 pounds 50 for a pint of beer ... that's over 3.50€" :wink: The diesel was cheaper though at only 83 cents a litre (strangely it was shown in euros and pounds)

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:57 pm

does anyone else get theirs from Carrefour? if you buy over 18e of fuel, and have a points card for the shop, you get 8-10% off the fuel. Thats a saving of a fiver when you fill up with 50euros of fuel!! therefore the 1e a litre it is at the mo goes down to 90-92c !! Bargain!!!
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Don

Postby Don » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:53 pm

Tis true Karandjon that Carrefour appears to be the cheapest with discounts (with the card) up to 10% allowing their claim to be the cheapest in the area. I used to use them all the time for petrol but found their diesel to be not so good and after a bit of research found some blogs suggesting that they bought the cheapest stuff from Portugal which is even reported to have damaged some engines. Since going diesel last year (in the car not the infamous bike) I have tried every brand I can find and the V-power from Shell maybe just over the 1 euro per litre mark but I get 12 to 18% better mileage from it. Taxi drivers swear by the super diesel even at the higher price as they regularly are getting up to 100 km more out of a tankful.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:27 am

karandjon wrote:does anyone else get theirs from Carrefour? if you buy over 18e of fuel, and have a points card for the shop, you get 8-10% off the fuel. Thats a saving of a fiver when you fill up with 50euros of fuel!! therefore the 1e a litre it is at the mo goes down to 90-92c !! Bargain!!!
any reaction to the claim that the petrol is cheap poo? ive had a little experience with bad petrol but that was in the uk. if its that much cheaper in carrefour i'll fill up in there instead !!

Don

Postby Don » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:43 am

spanish_lad wrote:..... any reaction to the claim that the petrol is cheap poo? ive had a little experience with bad petrol but that was in the uk. if its that much cheaper in carrefour i'll fill up in there instead !!
As far as I can tell spanish_lad, the petrol is cheap but both cars and bike dont seem to suffer. It is the Carrefour diesel which is suspect from the blogs around. From the technological point of view a modern petrol engine could cope with "cheap poo" as you put it, through its computer engine management module as it can modifiy injection and ignition settings. A diesel engine management unit doesnt have any choice as to the spark ignition side of things and this means the fuel quality is rather more critical to engine performance and longevity. All I know for sure is the Carrefour diesel doesnt give me anything like the mileage over a tank compared to the more expensive stuff.

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:58 am

Has anyone even noticed how much petrol has gone up in the last 3 years in Spain???????

I arrived just 3 years ago, and was paying 55 cents a litre, now its 99!!

I ain´t that good at working out percentages but I know that it´s a rip off! Nearly double in 3 years whilst the wages stay the same :shock:

Don

Postby Don » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:10 am

Indeed Blondie it has doubled over the last 5 years but still cheaper than France and UK prices. Judging by the number of new Mercs and BMWs on the road the locals dont seem to struggle with either the prices of the cars or the costs of running them. I have always wondered how to tie in the apparent spending of young Spanish people with their average salaries and it does not add up. At first analysis they cannot possibly afford hosues at €300000 and new cars too but somehow they do.

Having said that, Renault were apparently very surprised at how the Romanian built Dacia took off in Spain as one of the cheapest around.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:30 am

[quote="spanish_lad"]

any reaction to the claim that the petrol is cheap poo? ive had a little experience with bad petrol but that was in the uk. if its that much cheaper in carrefour i'll fill up in there instead !![/quote]

I worked for the last 20 years on a UK refinery, and I would imagine the situation in Spain would be no different. There are only so many refineries in the country, and it's not economic to send tanker loads of fuel all around the country. So all petrol companies have a swap agreement, for instance I worked for Texaco (now Chevron) and all BP stations in our area filled up at our refinery, (plus all the Tesco's, Morrison's etc) and on the east coast, all Texaco petrol stations were serviced by BP. So it's always amusing when you hear people saying I would never put X brand of petrol in my car, when unbeknown to them, they already have. As regards "cheap poo", there are incredibly strict regulations that have to be met before you can sell any petrol, be it supermarket or otherwise, so they can't get away with palming you off with some second rate petrol. Some will have some different additives, detergents etc,, but personally, I can never detect any difference in any of the different petrols.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:36 am

[quote="blondie"]Has anyone even noticed how much petrol has gone up in the last 3 years in Spain???????

I ain´t that good at working out percentages but I know that it´s a rip off! Nearly double in 3 years whilst the wages stay the same :shock:[/quote]

Petrol has reached an all time high, so an increase seems feasible, but I have just read that a bombero de butano has gone down. Not sure how that works out.

El precio máximo de la bombona de butano de 12,5 kilogramos bajará un 2,97% a partir del domingo y se situará en 11,77 euros, según el Ministerio de Industria.
El nuevo precio, vigente hasta el 31 de diciembre, supone una rebaja de 36 céntimos por bombona respecto a los 12,13 euros que costaba desde el pasado 1 de julio. La bombona ha bajado 58 céntimos en seis meses
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Don

Postby Don » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:27 am

frank wrote: .... Some will have some different additives, detergents etc,, but personally, I can never detect any difference in any of the different petrols.
As I understand it Frank, this is indeed the difference with Shell V-power diesel. They include an added straight chain (aliphatic for the chemists around) component synthesised from gas which changes the combustion conditions of the diesel resulting in smoother, quieter and cleaner combustion with more power per litre. Shell in Malayasia and Sasol in S.Africa are so far the only companies world wide with a F-T synthesis plant for this added component which they bring into Europe for V-power. Biodiesel is very different chemically from refinery diesel and also burns differently to straight refinery diesel. And of course there is more than one type of biodiesel. These days we also see ethanol blended into refinery gasoline which could all got to creating slightly different blends. Maybe on the transport issue we are close enough in Sevilla to Portugal to make it worth Carrefour bringing it over but maybe on the med costa it would all come from Algeciras.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:49 pm

blondie wrote:Has anyone even noticed how much petrol has gone up in the last 3 years in Spain???????

its gone up alot in 8 years, i was here in 99, it was still in peseatas! strangly, like you say tho, wages dont seem to of risen to cover it :shock:

i said "cheap poo" because thats how everyone on the forum would understand what i meant.

so theres no reason not to use carrefour fuel in my car then. i'll be filling up there instead for that saving ..

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:32 pm

Don,

ther reason most Spanish drive round in nice cars as young as they are, is that they mostly still live at home and only have one thing to spend their money on - themselves.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Deja Vu

Postby olive » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:06 pm

I paid 1.06 for unleaded 95 on Monday in Granada cos that was how much it was.

One of the things I loved about Spain was that fuel always seemed to be about the same price whether you bought at a supermarket or in the middle of nowhere. Three years ago it was about 82 cents and about 85 pence in UK.

Now 1.06 here and only £1.00 in UK.

Of course we Brits will be well placed to lead the scramble for buying cheap petrol not at our rural station but at Eroski or Carrefour where we can save a few cents. Won't be too long before the rural stations close down and motorway stations jack their prices up and we are all running on just fumes hoping to get to the next cheap station inevitably next to a supermarket. Sound familiar?

olive