Cleaning a Washing Machine

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Cleaning a Washing Machine

Postby karandjon » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:41 pm

In England I used to use white vinegar to wash the inside of my washing machine. I cannot buy it here, and wondered what others used?

Thanks

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:20 am

I live in a hard water area in UK and try to use Calgon on a regular basis. I hadn't used my machine for a few weeks recently and then noticed a sandy deposit on some dark items of clothing after washing but Calgon should hopefully sort it.

I also keep the machine door open when not in use and dry the rubber door seal and then as recommended by a repair man a few years ago, apply neat washing-up liquid to the rubber to keep it supple. I always do this with the one in our spanish apartment and it has lasted 22 years. Fingers crossed it does so for a while longer too.

MrsP
Resident

Postby MrsP » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:39 am

22 years :shock:
Chris

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:12 am

Yes Mrs P since the summer of 1985 as part of our furnishing package. Value for money or what, mind you in all that time it has probably only had the equivalent of about 2 years use, I just hope I haven't now given it the kiss of death. :)

Everything in the apartment is 22 years old (well nearly everything, we've had a new TV and replaced the video player with a DVD).

The occupants are a bit older than 22 too. :wink:

Megan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Megan » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:48 am

I'm a 'never used anything to clean the inside of my washing machine' person. Apart from dirty washing, fabric conditioner, soap powder, salt and dyes are all that my washing machine ever sees - I'm fanatical about double checking pockets etc ever since a tissue went through a wash and created a nighmare of 'fluff' over everything else :( :lol:

My last washing machine kept going from 1989 to 2004 with weekly use of at least four loads - think I must be one of the lucky ones when it comes to household appliances etc because they always seem to last for ages :D Which is good news for me as I save a fortune by not ever signing up for any extended warranties, she says quickly touching wood just to be on the safe side from now on :lol:

I remember reading an article once which stated that appliances etc are no longer 'built to last' because it's not in the manufacturers' commercial interests if it's decades before we need to buy replacements - myth or truth, guess only the manufacturers know that :roll: :wink:
Meg - Sunny by nature

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:08 pm

We bought our first microwave in 1984 (and it cost over 200 pounds then!!) and it is still working. It's a huge old thing but was obviously built to last. I think a lot of appliances now have too many settings and gadgets that most people never use, and once the computer chip in them goes wrong, then that's it. When we bought a new dishwasher, it was difficult to find one that was relatively simple and a basic design. On my washing machine I use the 40 degree 'normal' wash cycle, and rarely use anything other than that, so all those LED displays and knobs and buttons are wasted on me :lol:

bob
Resident

Postby bob » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:41 pm

Megan wrote:

“I remember reading an article once which stated that appliances etc are no longer 'built to last' because it's not in the manufacturers' commercial interests if it's decades before we need to buy replacements - myth or truth, guess only the manufacturers know that”

It’s called “planned obsolescence” and it’s nothing new. Been around for more than 50 years that I know of. Came across it in Vance Packard’s book “The Waste Makers” if memory serves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:39 pm

As my post above which stated that I live in a soft water area and do not need to use any cleaners as you do not get any deposits has been deleted :roll: I thought I'd make another post :lol:

White vinegar is an excellent softener for clothes if you add some to your final rinse. Does anyone know if you can get it in Spain? :lol: :lol: :lol:

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:47 pm

Megan I suspect you may be right. The life span of todays machines is poor in this throw away society and this does suit the manufacturers down to the ground. If anyone is looking for machines with a long lifespan try Miele products they are excellent.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:12 pm

We have had several washing machines and Bosch is my choice.

However for some mad reason we bought a Service three years ago when we moved into a new house. it developed a fault not long after and we called the repair guy out.
As most guarantee work is contracted out these days, he wasn't under any loyalty guise and told us that Service were the worst ones for breaking down and he wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.
It did break down after the guarantee ran out and yes we bought a Bosch, but Miele are rated as the best I believe.

Great tip, Safeashouses, about smearing the rubber seal with washing -up liquid. I will definitely do that as our washer is on the terrace. Prettily disguised but still gets full sun sometimes.
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

Heston
Resident

cleaning a washing machine

Postby Heston » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:58 pm

I just use the Calgon tablets it seems to be going strong.

Just out of interest my parents have been married for 48 years in March and my mum still uses an iron that they got for a wedding present!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:06 pm

White vinegar is easily available in Spain - the brown mal stuff is becoming more available I feel, and the price is becoming less of a rip-off.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

laclotte
Resident

Re: cleaning a washing machine

Postby laclotte » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:19 pm

Heston wrote:my parents have been married for 48 years in March and my mum still uses an iron that they got for a wedding present!
Clearly she did not do much ironing over the last 48 years.....clever woman your mother :wink: :wink:
- You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note -

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:18 pm

peteroldracer wrote:White vinegar is easily available in Spain.
Hi, this was my original question - I used to use White Vinegar in the UK but cannot find it here. Please can you tell me which shops you find it easily available in? I have tried the Mercadonas. Eroski´s etc.

Thanks

Karen

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:23 pm

I will check tomorrow, but am sure it is in Eroski at least - and Dunnes have both sorts. An alternative to vinegar/Calgon etc is to pop in a Steradent (or Spanish equivalent) tablet, then give it a short wash cycle, pausing it for half-an-hour before the first drain/rinse. Steradent also works well on furred-up kettles, and is a lot kinder than aguafuerte!

Megan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Megan » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:54 pm

bob, thanks for the interesting link re planned obsolescence :)
Meg - Sunny by nature

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:09 pm

Plenty white Sarsons vinegar in Dunnes - but at 1.50€ a small able bottle, I would use something else! It could be cheaper to let the machine cal up, then replace it with a new one that will use less power and probably work better!

Kamila
Resident

Vinegar

Postby Kamila » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:00 pm

karen, I use white wine vinegar for all my descaling. It works well. I buy it in Mercadona.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:18 pm

Hi Kamila, I have searched high and low in my Mercadona and can not see it anywhere! I will maybe ask if they can get it in from one of their other stores.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:46 pm

Hi Karen, do the chemists or drugarias sell acetic acid? If so you can make your own vinegar. Alternatively have you tried wine vinegar or lemon juice? Just a thought :)
Sandramay