Hotel needed on the Spain/France border?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
daisylulu

Postby daisylulu » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:05 pm

Hi,

Can anyone recommened a hotel on route from here to Roscoff? We would rather it was on the french side of the border and within an hours drive from the border?

We are travelling animal free but will be towing a large trailer so we need a hotel with a private carpark.

Any ideas please :D

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:44 pm

daisylulu,
We have found Biarritz to be very convenient, just near the border, and plenty of hotels, no problem in the winter....

Most have carparks, try Fasthotel, easy to book online, and meals are good and reasonable, if required....We then take 10 to 12 hours to drive to Granada area,and vice versa, nice steady driving , with plenty of coffee stops.....We use the M50 around Madrid, avoids traffic jams and 'bandits'....
We always drive through France on a Sunday, no big trucks and usually quieter...If you are breaking the drive through France, Angouleme is a good stopping off place, again good motels, try Fasthotel or Etap....Hope this helps
Bon Voyage....

daisylulu

Postby daisylulu » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:53 pm

Many thanks for your help :D

I shall take a look at Fasthotel.

We have heard much about the bandits and certainly would like to avoid them!! especially with 2 children in the car :? We will be travelling mid-week.....would you say there is a better time of day to bypass Madrid and the bandits?

Thanks again :D

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:16 am

daisylulu wrote:We have heard much about the bandits...
What have you heard? Where? Interested as I may be driving a few things down just before Christmas.
Brian.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:09 am

Daisylulu,
I always try to avoid Madrid first thing in the morning , up till about 10am, then 1.30 to 2.30pm and them 5.30 to 7.30pm..It is always busy, but horrendous during the peak times...There are numerous new roads now open in Madrid, which has eased the situation , I find the M50 to be the best route...The 'bandits' operate by pulling up alongside, and pretending to be police, they ask you to pull over and then try to rob you....However, the Madrid police have now arrested a large network of thieves , so hopefully they will be out of circulation for awhile...You really don't need to worry, just be aware !
There are plenty of other Motels with decent accommodation, but we use Fasthotel and Etap, for overnight stays...no point in paying for extras that you won't use.....I recommend that you book online , you can cancel by phone usually up to 5pm on the day of your stay....Many of the motels are busy all year round, that is why I always book ahead....
If you are not using a tom tom navigator, try Mappy online, it will give you the best routes and approx. fuel and toll charges, for your journey...
If I can assist you further , please ask....

pentaqua-new
Resident

Postby pentaqua-new » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:29 am

Ibis at Irun - just in Spain and the petrol is cheaper.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:10 am

On the trip up from Spain, I find it better to get into France in the afternoon or evening, however it does get busy near Bilbao, avoid crossing the old border area in the mornings, very busy.....And don't forget to fill up with fuel before leaving Spain, but don't leave it until the last minute, always big queues at the last chance filling stations..
On the return journey, I would suggest that you stay at the Etap, in Arrigorriaga, south of Bibao, you will then have an easy start in the morning, avoiding heavy traffic....
I've tried so many routes/methods over the last 20 years, none are perfect, but what I have described has worked well for me....Just about to do my 8th trip.....this year :cry:

Heston
Resident

hotels

Postby Heston » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:18 pm

Daisy lou

Personally I would avoid Biarittz its extremely expensive I was there recently and found it to be quite a rip off!!It wasnt even that nice!
Try bookings.com I have had some great hotels and good prices through them.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:42 pm

Heston,
I don't know which hotel you stopped at, but we only pay 40 euros for 2 per night at Etap and 48 euros per night at Fasthotel, in Anglet, which is a short distance to Biarritz centre, and it is very easy to get on the road to and from Spain.....We avoid the area in July/ August, when it is expensive and difficult to get in anywhere....And if you want really cheap, try Formula One, not en-suite , but fine for overnight stops..... :oops:

I always try to book direct with the motel groups, some of the booking agencies charge booking fees...

Heston
Resident

hotels

Postby Heston » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:06 pm

Benidorm

the hotel was great and very reasonable I just objected to paying 4 euros 50 for a cup of coffee and 10 euros for a pint of beer!!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:17 pm

Heston,
I fully understand what you mean about expensive hotel drinks, we always take our own bottle of Rioja, and a big bag of crisps, I'd hate to be the cleaner of our room... :oops:
And we also take an electric kettle, and a choice of tea and coffee, and we fill our flasks , in the morning...and don't pay for breakfast, as I take my own packet of Coco-pops.....Me tight...not at all... just careful with my pennies ! :wink:

When I'm traveling I just want a clean bed and preferably en-suite room with a telly, that's why I use Motels....If I'm on holiday, I stay in Parador type hotels with plenty of luxury...I can afford it because I'm so careful when I stay in the motels... :oops: :oops: ....

Heston
Resident

hotels

Postby Heston » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:39 pm

Benidorm

sorry Benidorm I am not explaining myself..I never bought a drink or anything else in the hotel..these were the general prices in the resort!
We sat at one beach fronted cafe one day and ordered two coffees ( 10euros!) and the chap said we couldn't really sit there ( in the sun) if we were not ordering food..we had to sit on another table ( in the shade!) i asked if we were taking a table up from the hoards queuing to get in at 11am in the morning for lunch....needless to say we didn't move!! I just hated the place the people were not nice and the whole general feel to the place was obnoxious! Just my opinion of course..in fact we left the resort early and went up to the mountains which were beautiful!

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:46 pm

BENIDORM wrote:Heston,
I fully understand what you mean about expensive hotel drinks, we always take our own bottle of Rioja, and a big bag of crisps, I'd hate to be the cleaner of our room... :oops:
And we also take an electric kettle, and a choice of tea and coffee, and we fill our flasks , in the morning...and don't pay for breakfast, as I take my own packet of Coco-pops.....Me tight...not at all... just careful with my pennies ! :wink:

Please....please...tell me that this is a joke...and I just don't 'get it' :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
- You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note -

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:51 pm

Heston,
Sorry to hear that you've had a bad experience in Biarritz.....
We have stayed there regularly, for about 20 years, at least 2 or 3 times a year on average, and honestly never had a problem.
.As with all holiday resorts we always avoid the tourist places,bars etc, and have found everyone really friendly...About 2 years ago, we spent nearly a week there...metal detecting on the beaches...great time and very profitable ! :D
Still think that it is a great place to stop over when travelling up from Spain, and we stay on the other side in Northern Spain , on the way down.....
We will be back there in a few days...again !
I agree it is great in the mountain area, and we have stayed there in farmhouse B&B's, but not many open in the winter.... :cry:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:55 pm

Laclotte..
I think that the problem with you, is that you don't 'Get It' ...often enough ! :shock: :shock:

Heston
Resident

Hotels

Postby Heston » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:00 pm

just not my kind of place..l dont have a porcshe and a load of plastic surgery!!

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:05 pm

Your type of 'living' ...if that is what you would call it, would just not appeal to me :cry:
Take my own kettle on holidays for the sake of saving a few Euros :shock: :shock: :shock:
I guess you are the type that feels they must also take all the shampoo/soap/shower gel that is provided by the 'establishment'. Just think...you would not have to visit Lidl for weeks on end for your toiletries :lol: :lol:
No....not for me...but 'horses for courses' and all that........:roll:
- You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note -

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:31 pm

Laclotte.....

Ad Nauseum.....

palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby palmtrees » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:59 am

We liked Biarritz - we were going to stay at Bayonne (?), but kept driving round in circles and couldn't find anything decent so headed on to Biarritz (reverse route Fr-Sp). We had a trailer and two dogs, parked on a street just near the hotel, and had an excellent night. Great hotel, chic, not expensive, very clean and white so we left the wet dogs in the vehicle.

Paid something horrific in a bar for two beers (equivalent of £2 each at the time) but then found a cheap Italian for dinner. This was in November and Biarritz was really quiet and lovely. Sort of like Scarborough out of season with a French accent. :wink:

I guess you either like it or you don't.

scampicat
Resident

Re: Hotel needed on the Spain/France border?

Postby scampicat » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:29 pm

pentaqua-new wrote:Ibis at Irun - just in Spain and the petrol is cheaper.
I too would recommend this hotel.