Another Little Tail from Rasta the Dog

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Another Little Tail from Rasta the Dog

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:54 am

Just thought that I would write you another note, before my Dad sets off on his travels ...again.....

Christmas is a sad time for me, I can't help remembering that only a few years ago I was sat in a shop window in Spain, waiting for someone to buy me.....

My first Dad had taken me and my brother and sister to the pet shop and sold us ..like slaves....We were only very little puppies, and we were really frightened when they put is in a shop window with sawdust and newspaper for a bed...They did give us plenty of water and food, but it was terrible sat there in full view of everyone....They never turned the lights out and it was so hot and stuffy, that we slept most of the time, but every time we woke up there was someone peering at us through the window, and they kept tapping on the glass...
We had been there nearly 3 weeks and it was only a few days before Christmas, when suddenly my brother and sister were sold, they cried when they were taken away...And now I was on my own , I kept crying, and I was so sad.....
Then the next day, I was suddenly lifted out of the window and a man was staring at me, then prodding me like a dead chicken.....He pushed me into a box, and closed the lid, and now I thought that I was about to die....
Anyway I was soon at this mans house and I was presented to his three children as a Christmas present.....The children were really rough with me, dragging me around as if I was a plastic toy, and I really hated it..

.After about 3 weeks they hardly bothered with me, and I was left alone all day, and it was then that I had my little accident and did a whoopsie on their new rug.....I didn't do it deliberately, but they were so angry when they came in, and smacked me so hard, I couldn't even cry, because when I did they hit me again...
The next day I was stuffed into a box again and the man threw me into his car, after about 10 minutes he stopped the car, and grabbed me by the scruff of my neck, and hurled me into some bushes.....I landed in a big heap and was so confused and dazed that I just lay there for ages.....Then I walked along the road, hiding every time that someone approached, I didn't eat anything for about 3 days, then a kind old lady gave me some scraps..I lived like this for ages , sleeping under a wheelie bin at night and spending my time looking in rubbish bags for food...
I met some other dogs who lived on the streets and they showed me how to cadge food, they were really good mates....

I've already told you how my new Mum and Dad found me, and I'm really happy now........Woof...Woof Woof....GGgrrr...........oh I'm sorry a strange cat just looked at me through the window,, I really must try to continue with my anger management course, I really like cats......Now where was I ?..oh yes....I was telling you how happy I am now, but still very sad at the thought of how many more little puppies and kittens will be sold this Christmas, like toys, then chucked out in a few months time......
So I beg you, please give a lot of thought to buying a puppy or kitten as a gift, we are living creatures and need a lot of tender , loving care....
If you really want to have a pet , why don't you go to one of the animal sanctuaries, there are loads of lovely pets , and they would really be so happy to have a nice home...like me......
The people who look after these unwanted pets are so helpful and will tell you how to look after us properly...

And can I ask you a little favour........please save your scraps over Christmas and take them and feed my mates who are still living on the streets..and as a special treat why don't you buy them a few dog treats and chews, they would be so pleased and it would make them feel so special......
So I hope that you all have a wonderful Christmas with your families and friends....

Lots of Licks and Kisses from
Rasta The Dog....
LLLLLLLLL XXXXXXXX LLLLLLLL XXXXXXXXX

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:25 am

Thanks for that....May the sun always shine on your windowpane! :)

MrsP
Resident

Postby MrsP » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:18 am

If anyone can offer this little lady a home or her puppy George who is nearly 8 weeks, please pm me.

Chris

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:26 am

Better still why not take them both, sure they would love to be together! :)

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:35 am

What cute little dogs and I'm sure as Katy said it would be great if they were re-housed together...

Rasta wants them, but I've told him ..maybe later.!

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:41 pm

Just have to point out to Rasta it's part of the risk you take if you go for the domestication option. Swings and roundabouts. You were lucky. You could be a Turkey and we all know what's going to happen to them shortly.
Grouser

MrsP
Resident

Postby MrsP » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:48 pm

To be honest mum has lost all interest in the puppies, she won't let them suckle any more.
This pic of George was taken this morning, he is a darling. Although we already have 2 rescue dogs we have fallen in love with his sister so she is coming to us.

Chris

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:38 pm

Thank you Rasta for that timely tale. I hope your message reaches as many people as possible and helps make this difficult time of year a little brighter for at least a few of our furry friends.
Best wishes, from Miro the Cat (I love dogs too!)

P.S. my mum just bought me a new blanket and pillow for Xmas - she thinks I don't know, but I've already seen it and smelled it!!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:53 pm

If I were to be looking for a dog, I would go for the Mother, she's lovely and older dogs are so much harder to re-home.

MrsP
Resident

Postby MrsP » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:25 pm

Mum is only young too, the vet reckons a year to 18 months, no more.
Chris

Don

Postby Don » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:50 pm

A timely tail, Benidorm c/o Rasta. Once upon a time I bred a couple of litters of pedigree labradors when I lived in Scotland. As "luck" would have it, both litters were born in November but I made it a rule that even if sold prior to christmas, no puppies would leave us before christmas as christmas presents. I only made one exception ....

One day a family of four arrived to look at the pups and fell in love with one. I explained my rule to them and the Dad said he would return the next day to talk again. He duly came back alone and explained that one of his sons had been walking their old lab some weeks before, on a leash, but somehow a car had hit the dog and killed it. Even though all investigations had shown that the boy had done everything right according to witnesses, and it was the fault of the car driver basically driving over the pavement, the boy had blamed himself and had become so depressed they were trying desperately to cheer him up for christmas. If I would break my own rule for him, he would come back on the next day with his family once more and let his son pick the pup they had fallen in love with. I was welcome to knock on his door at any time without prior notice over christmas and new year and if I was at all worried about the pup I could take it from them ..... and he put it all in writing and signed it. I thought long and hard but something convinced me he was genuine, his address checked out and so I broke my rule. The next day, they came again as a family but nothing of the previous day's conversation was mentioned apart from the open invitation to call on them and check. The young lad was clearly well chuffed to pick his pup and off they went.

And yes, I did call on them the day after boxing day as I needed to know for sure. I was welcomed into a family room where one very happy pup was playing with two very happy kids, pup came to greet me and promptly wet the carpet .... which was simply cleaned up with huge smiles from Mum and Dad. I think it took all of 30 seconds to convince myself that my worries and fears were unfounded and breaking my own rule, just this once, had given that family, and most importantly that pup a happy christmas together.

But all that said, it was a tough call to make at the time.

MrsP
Resident

Postby MrsP » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:55 pm

The mum and puppy are now at a local rescue centre.
My friend took her in even though she has already got 3 dogs, one of which really did not like the newcomer.
She kept her until the puppies were weaned and found homes for 3 of them.( I have got one coming to me after Xmas )
I hope they find a new home soon so they can have a happy Xmas too.
Chris