Pet Passport

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
scampicat
Resident

Pet Passport

Postby scampicat » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:38 pm

We have just acquired an abandoned hunting hound, found starving with an injured leg, limping along the side of the road.

Otis at this moment is at the vets, being re-hydrated in order to be fit enough to have his operation to repair his achilles tendon.

How much is a pet passport and how do we go about getting one for when Otis is fit and well?

Jennifer
Resident

Postby Jennifer » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:29 am

Hi Scampicat,
Ask the vet to check to see if the dog has been chipped.
If Otis hasn't got any records then its 7-8 months to have Rabies jab and get test results. Again ask the vet as they will know how much they charge for this service.
Regards
J

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:15 pm

Thanks very much.

Otis is not microchipped.

So if we want to take him to the UK this summer we really have to start now?

Hmmm....think we'll have to have a couple of short trips instead of one long one! Then the neighbour can look after him while we've gone!

Jennifer
Resident

Postby Jennifer » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:54 pm

Hi Scampicat,
Best to get started down the process.
If Otis had the Rabies jab today then in 6 weeks go for test , test results can take up to 4 months to get back, not that this matters too much as the DEFRA site says you need 6 months from the date of the last good test. The down side is if the test is not ok then you have to start again, having waited 4 months for the first results :(
Even if you got your results back in 10 days (as on a previous thread :o )
there is still the 6 months DEFRA time, have a look on the DEFRA site for Pets Passport, its the UK that's strict on time scales the rest of the EU is a bit more laid back :)

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

Regards
J

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:35 pm

Thanks for all the info.. We've decided to wait until 2009 before taking him, so loads of time.

I personally don't blame the UK for being strict.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:48 pm

Otis, nice name, classy!
Ah! the full english!!

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:13 pm

Retro P wrote:Otis, nice name, classy!
We were trying to think of a name for him and were toying around with Brun or Rufus (as he is a gingery-red colour).
Then at the vet's my husband looked at the dog and said 'Otis!' The dog wagged at this and it was obviously the right name; it really suits him! You can't have a soppy name for a hunting hound!

Anyway, the good news is he has had his operation to repair his Achilles tendon. All has gone well and we can collect him tomorrow.

Thanks Jennifer for all the advice about the pet passport. We'll get the ball rolling in the New Year.

Ashcroft
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ashcroft » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:25 pm

Just wanted to say Scampicat that I think you have done a very fine thing... Bravo!

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:03 pm

Oh dear...sorry to say it was bad news :cry:

After a phone call from the vet to say we could collect Otis and his operation had been a success, we went the following morning to be met by a vet with a serious face, shaking his head.

Otis had managed to get off the 'bucket' that they put on their heads to stop them biting the wound, and had bitten his leg to shreds. It was worse than before they had operated.

Although they did try very hard to repair it, we were told that Otis probably would not be able to walk much and would not have a very good quality of life. Especially as we live in a mountain village and have no garden - he had to be able to walk.

So we made the very distressing decision to have him put down. :cry:

I like to think that between us and the kindly vet, Otis at least had a better end than he otherwise would have done, and some love at the end of his life..

Thanks for your interest.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

dog

Postby Julie » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:26 pm

Sorry to hear your sad news, but at times we have to be cruel to be kind.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Heston
Resident

pet passports

Postby Heston » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:08 pm

Oh Scampicat how sad..but you did a fine thing for otis and sadly here in Spain you will have lots more otis's coming your way..i think I am up to about 4 now!
xxxxxxxxxxx

JJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby JJ » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:13 pm

We're now on dog number 3, one sadly no longer with us, and cat number one.

I am so sorry that it didn't work out for Otis, but you did your best and, at least, he didn't die on the streets.

JJ