English shops in Spain

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
pirate
Andalucia.com Amigo

English shops in Spain

Postby pirate » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:35 pm

Just out of interest....

Would you pay a little extra for some of the things you miss or not?

Theres a few English shops about here.

Are they worth a visit?
Snot me, stwiscki

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: English shops in Spain

Postby frank » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:45 pm

[quote="pirate"]Just out of interest....

Are they worth a visit?[/quote]

Nobody here missing anything about the UK, not even friends and family by the sounds of it. :D Always moaning, "More bleedin' visitors from UK! " 8)
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Chalky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Chalky » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:18 am

Surely it depends on how much you miss those things, how inferior you regard the local equivalent and how much of a premium you have to pay :?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:24 am

hmm true ... on the rare occasion that i venture into "english shops" the prices always seem to be higher .. but then.. they have to import the stuff so whats the problem ?

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:47 am

In all honesty I doubt there's much that can't be substituted by a local or Spanish product although I do bring my own vimto and peanut butter, that's about it, If you do your homework you can usually find what you want.
If anyone is REALLY desperate take a trip to Calahonda (the western one) about one mile up the strip (Avenida de Espana( on the right hand side next door to the Irish bar where you will find Pacos shop /minimarket as about 60%-70% of the residents in Calahonda are brits he stocks everything I usually take a trip there to stock up on walls bacon and sausage, heinz beans etc, Ionly found this place by accident but as I said if you desperate Pacos yer man!
Ah! the full english!!

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:50 am

heinz beans
I only very rarely eat beans so am no expert, but is there really any difference between heinz beans and others?

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:54 am

Mosy UK shops sell stuff I didn't eat in the UK. I think the best one seems to be on the commercial centre close to Dunnes in Fuengirola. Has some waitrose products too. I go for Bisto Best and Bisto veggy. Sometimes they have it in Supersol though.

Bandy
Resident

Postby Bandy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:57 pm

Loads of stuff available on the CDS.........even up in the mountains as well,
Cortes, Gaucin, Ronda........marmite, tetley tea bags, British beer etc etc if you need a fix. Prices are obviously more expensive. A local ex pat in our area is using the superb local pork to make incredibly delicious English style sausages which are going a storm with the Spanish and not leaving a lot for the Brits :!: :!:
is the sun over the yardarm yet ?

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:59 pm

Retro P - you can get Heinz beans in Mercadona. I bet they're more expensive in an English shop!

We used to take a trip to Iranzo's in Nerja to stock up on things we missed, but it was really expensive to do this, as it is tempting to fill the trolley. I must admit I saw some Lincolnshire pork sausages in Carrefour the other day and they are now in my freezer. They have a section in the freezer area where they stock some English foods.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:10 pm

There are many British Supermarkets in Benalmadena & Fuengirola, some with silly names like Spainsburys and we now have a Waitrose / Iceland although deliveries are erratic. There are problems with the French ( when is there not? ) who are periodically blocking the tunnel and causing confusion in the arrival ports, thus delaying deliveries to Spain.
Generally, everything is available, except Yorkshire Tea Bags. There is now no point going to Gibraltar, especially as I got slapped by a monkey a couple of years ago. Gave every one else a laugh though.

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:55 am

Alan - You got slapped by a monkey? Consider yourself lucky. My brother-in-law got shat upon by a monkey a couple of years ago. On his head!
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

marchamona
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: English shops in Spain

Postby marchamona » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:30 am

pirate wrote:Just out of interest....

Are they worth a visit?
Anyone seen Quorn anywhere apart from an English shop?

palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby palmtrees » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:19 pm

Not seen Quorn anywhere. But I never ate it in the UK so made no difference to me especially as the herboristerias sell so much tofu/tempeh/seitan and some stock Redwood products too.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:10 pm

They sell Quorn at Russells on Torrox Costa, but that's the only place I've seen it.

Arkwright's at Puente Don Manuel has a huge choice of food and their tea cakes are the best! When you live here full time and rarely visit the UK (such as my OH who hasn't been there in 7 years) you do miss some British things - I think it's only natural. I can't see anything wrong with buying tins of beans (I find Mercadona's own brand ones OK) and real ale when you feel the need :D . We have no choice but to pay extra for British food that's been imported and I don't mind buying a few bits now and then, but I do survive mainly on Spanish products. I cannot do without mincepies and luckily Dunnes have at last stocked up, so I bought a load the other week (they have the best ready-made ones, I think) ....yum :lol:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:06 pm

wicksey are you still on about mince pies?? :roll: :lol: :lol:
glad you got plenty :wink: -gib have only got the pre packed plastic tasting ones in-not the usual dusty icing topped ones that i have been eating for the last 2 months...no more mince pies for me this christmas... :cry:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:12 pm

You had a head start on me Peachy :lol: :lol: Only a few more days to go and all the Christmas goodies will be gone and I'll be feeling guilty having eaten all that pastry and pudding. Then it will be the same ole new year's resolution ..... must not eat junk ..... :D

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:19 pm

haha..ive been thinking about "not eating junk"all year...thats about as far as i have got...
going to eat apple pips all next year... :wink:

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:47 pm

Princess Peach Wrote: wicksey are you still on about mince pies??
glad you got plenty -gib have only got the pre packed plastic tasting ones in-not the usual dusty icing topped ones that i have been eating for the last 2 months...no more mince pies for me this christmas...

Well, I havent been able to get anthing Englishy here, at all!! Having said that, i took the advice off the Food Section, and soaked fruit in brandy for ages, then added my home made nispero jam, to make the mincemeat, then made the pastry (should it have had sugar in, mine didnt), and have had to make do with these. The mincemeat is nice but the unsweet pastry isnt great. liberally sprinkled with icing sugar (from the uk), makes them edible! :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:12 am

aww,nevermind karanjon..your not really missing much,and think of all the "weight gain "you will be saving yourself from! :wink: