UK NI contributions -

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

UK NI contributions -

Postby pilgrim » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:54 am

It seems each January I receive a new letter from th UK NI Contributions office. This is this years.....

To enable this us to consider whether you are liable to pay UK self emplyed contributions could you please advise us of thefollowing -

1). Is any of your work carried out in the Spain(including by email or telephone)? (not a typo, that is how it is written) YES
2). Do you have a place of residence in the UK? NO
3). Is all of you work carried out in the UK? NO

Up until now they have insisted that I pay them as required by law.

My husband and I are in a UK partnership I do all the paperwork, contracts, accounts, and general day to day admin from here in Spain, hubby does the 'graft' in the UK. We pay UK Tax and NI / hubby spends the more than a 180 odd days in UK - I don't :D All tax correspondence is sent to our Spanish address so what is this all about??

Scince we have moved here nearly 4yrs ago doing it all by the book (or at least trying to, but they keep moving the goal posts!) we have had nothing but aggro from the NI Contrubtions office, on the other hand the tax office love taking our money!!!! I thought they were one and the same now?

The question is does anyone else have a similar experience? or in a similar situation to us and how do you deal with it............and before anyone suggests that we ring the helpline in UK have done so on more than one occaision, never had the same answer twice!!

A work colleague of hubby´s suggested that we get paid in dividends as he does and gave us the name of the man who does all the paper work for him. Sounded a bit dodgy to me - can anyone enlighten me on this? This is in the Contstruction Industry.
Last edited by pilgrim on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:29 pm

Do you work for a Limited Company are you directors or employees of that company or are you classed as self-employed?

If you are classed as self-employed by the company has the company got 'government' approval of your self-employment?

If it is a Ltd company where is the registered address of the company UK or Spain?
Last edited by safeashouses on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

contributions

Postby patricia » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:30 pm

Since your husband is working in the UK you would be liable to pay tax in the UK

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:36 pm

Not necessarily as individuals are taxed individually depending on their individual circumstances.
The question is does anyone else have a similar experience? or in a similar situation to us and how do you deal with it............and before anyone suggests that we ring the helpline in UK have done so on more than one occaision, never had the same answer twice!!
You will rarely find anyone in a similar situation as yourself as far as taxation is concerned it is a minefield.

:idea: You should always write to your tax office and keep copies of all correspondence.

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:54 pm

We are not a LTD Company but a Self Employed Partnership, hubby holds a CIS card and pays approx 20 per cent tax at scource.
This is how it was done in the UK as set up by our accountant (chartered)

We do everything in writing and keep all correspondence it just takes such a long time.

Judging by the number of people my husband meets at Seville and Jerez Airport on his regular flights doing similar thing - living here, working in UK, just thought there might be someone out there in a similar situation.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:37 pm

Judging by the number of people my husband meets at Seville and Jerez Airport on his regular flights doing similar thing - living here, working in UK, just thought there might be someone out there in a similar situation.
You are working in Spain though for the UK partnership as I said it's a minefield. :wink:

If you have an accountantant then everything should be being done correctly as far as tax and NIC is concerned.

The letter is probably just to check that your circumstances have not changed, it may be an idea to return it to the Inland Revenue via your accountant. :wink: