Will castration solve my dog's wanderlust?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
pentaqua-new
Resident

Will castration solve my dog's wanderlust?

Postby pentaqua-new » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:53 pm

17 month old golden retriever who is finding "love" - the other day we found him 'attached' to a chained up bitch with a bemused look on his face! But previous 3 months has been disappearing as I walk him on the campo and seems to be chasing up any 'smell'.

Have had two labradors previously with nothing like this problem - but then we were in the UK. The trouble is, we can't let him off the lead now 'cos he waits until he's around the corner and off he goes.

Will castration (poor sod) sort him out?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:36 pm

Yes.
Any responsible pet owner should have their pet nurtured.
Cuts down on wandering, humping your visitors legs etc but more importantly reduces the number of unwanted litters.
I help out at an animal refuge, this week we had another 11 puppies brought in. The owners did not see why they should have their dog nurtured.
We recently adopted a puppy, hewas one of 13 new born puppies dumped in a bin.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:26 pm

I think that's "neutered" it was a silly posting anyway, why should I have my dog neutered.
Ah! the full english!!

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:32 pm

Get it done, you don't want to be responsible for even more unwanted puppies.

I also work for an animal rescue charity and they had six abandoned puppies brought in today. About 4 weeks old, absolutely gorgeous and dumped in a cardboard box :evil:

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:12 pm

Getting him castrated will stop the humping of visitors legs etc. We had ours done at 9 months as I couldnt stand the embarrassment any longer, every time someone came over. It certainly stopped 98% of his se.xual urges.
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:42 am

Retro P wrote:I think that's "neutered" it was a silly posting anyway, why should I have my dog neutered.
That's a silly post. You should not have a dog if you don't understand about responsible pet ownership.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Heston
Resident

neutering

Postby Heston » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:26 pm

Hi It will also reduce his chances of testical cancer too very common in the golden retriver..I had one with the same problem some years ago..he did recover but prevention is better than cure.

I am waiting to take my 18 month old bitch in to be done also at the moment, we live in the campo and she keeps running off looking for love..luckily at the mo none of the old campo boys ( dogs!!) fancy her but we may not be as lucky next time! :lol:

Spingo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Spingo » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:21 pm

I have two male dogs and a female. We've had them all done. In the past in UK we've had male dogs and never really needed or wanted to have them done. However, out here in the campo it's so easy for them to wander. One of the boys had started wandering off in search of love before the opp but he stays closer to home now. I worried about whether or not to have them neutered but I believe we would have lost them by now if we hadn't. They could get run over, trapped, poisoned or drowned in an unfenced balsa. It can be a tough decision but your dog will be less likely to wander and there will be quite a few less unwanted pups as a result. Our dogs were about a year old when we had them done, which is supposed to be about the ideal age. Hope you know a good vet too.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:23 pm

Spingo wrote: It can be a tough decision ....... Hope you know a good vet too.
With respect - it's not a tough decision, it's the only sensible one.

Any vet will do - it's a very routine op, performed so often they can probably do it with their eyes shut.
Get it done.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.