Support for Beachcomber

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:57 pm

See here for the 2004 results:

http://www.soitu.es/elecciones/2004/gen ... index.html

It's about the same.

I've no idea about the stance of the UK government regarding voting. There are far more Britons in Spain who would be able to vote than there are Spaniards in the UK.

If you qualify you could apply for Spanish nationality.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:00 pm

Just to clarify what I meant by an illegal war for Katy and Kenny, I meant one that doesn't have the clear and specific sanction of the UN. As the UN was formed in 1945 it has no bearing on wars prior to that date. All war is reprehensible as the UN charter indicates and one of the major functions of the UN is to prevent/avoid war by debate and other alternative methods. Bush, Blair and their cohorts sidestepped this process for reasons best known to themselves, using trumped up 'intelligence', hence outside an agreed world framework for dealing with international problems, hence illegal.
Grouser

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:18 pm

League of Nations was there do do exactly the same as your above quote Grouser.

Kenny

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Nations

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:27 pm

Fairy Snuff Kenny, and wasn't what was left of the Nazi war machine brought to trial for war crimes?
Grouser

citymike
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby citymike » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:32 pm

Grouser wrote: 'Zapatero is an atheist.'
Surely a good thing. We have only to look at what religion has done in Spanish History for numerous reasons why. The inquisition, Spanish colonial practice in the New World, and the Catholic Church's grip on politics in Spain, hand in hand with the monarchy to name but three.
Mankind needs religion of some sort even if it is a passionate belief in atheism. In the communist regimes the state became God. Jung on writing about Freud claimed that he had replaced God with sex as his religion.
Grouser wrote: 'His picture on homosexual magazine covers'
And your problem with this is?
Well, I was slightly disturbed that he was naked. Nice cheeks, though

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:52 pm

citymike: I have to disagree with your definition of religion, and certainly do not agree that mankind needs it!
One dictionary comes up with:
"re·li·gion /rɪˈlɪdʒən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ri-lij-uhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
"

As you will see, all variants involve a belief in some causes of the world, or creation of it.
A disbelief simply means that any concept along these lines is regarded as rubbish - or perhaps dangerous manipulation of people through an unprovable promise of reward or fear of punishment.
For my part, I simply dismiss the concept, and abhor the control of simple people by the hierarchy of each and every sect.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:10 pm

I believe in a minority religion, mostly practised in the North West of England, called Theakstons Old Peculier. Some think ot was named after me, but that is a foul calumny. It is just about the only thing I miss from the UK. Well, perhaps Tanglefoot.
My brain works like lightning -one flash and it's gone

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:16 pm

NorthWest!!!! Go and wash your mouth out this minute! Theakstons is Yorkshire born and brewed - from Masham, in the Dales.
And how about a pint of Old F@rt, brewed on the premises in a pub in Burley, Leeds? So strong that mine host would only serve you more than one pint if you swore that you were not driving.......
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

citymike
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby citymike » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:10 am

peteroldracer wrote: For my part, I simply dismiss the concept, and abhor the control of simple people by the hierarchy of each and every sect.
How could anyone disagree? Especially when argued with such religious zeal