National insurance contributions

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Bingham
Andalucia.com Amigo

National insurance contributions

Postby Bingham » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:18 pm

What happens after leaving the UK with all that you have paid in..then you work here in Spain? are they frozen and a pension ( small!) awaits you when you reach that age?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:05 pm

yes.

you can do a "pension forecast" i think its called, can do it online, that tells you how much "lump sum" you have to pay into the national insurance to get your maximum pension back out per week / month when you do reach that age.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:11 pm

Or if you haven't paid NI for 30yrs plus you can continue to pay from a UK bank until you have paid enough to get a pension, although I have heard of some problems connected with this but I'm sure someone else will be able to enlighten you!

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:18 pm

Here's a link to the UK pensions website you should find all your answers here http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/

However you may not be able to get a state pension forecast at the moment.

Important information
We are currently unable to provide our usual pension forecasting service to some of our customers in Great Britain and Northern Ireland. This is because we are changing our computer systems to reflect the changes to State Pension rules introduced by the Pensions Act 2007 and the Pensions Act (Northern Ireland) 2008. We aim to provide the full service again by Autumn 2008.

You can still get a pension forecast if you will reach State Pension age before 6 April 2010, but not if you will reach State Pension age on or after that date.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:18 pm

Lots of information here
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nic/work/abroad-index.htm

I think they hope that the information will be up and running for you to do a forecast online as from end of June on www.thepensionservice.gov.uk

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:19 pm

SNAP - great minds thought alike Paula :wink: :lol:

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:24 pm

:lol: What perfect timing.

A very helpful lady (they all seem very helpful) at the pensions dept told me yesterday they do hope to have it up and running end of June. We shall see!

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:49 pm

I think you have to still be resident in the UK though, unless that's one of the improvements they're making. They'll send you the forms by post on request (tell them you don't have a printer!) or you can download them if you want to but I think it's at least 16 pages and like most government forms you probably only need 3 of them! I took one look and filed it for a rainy day :lol:

sheilap
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sheilap » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:17 pm

The government is changing the rules on the pensions and it right you won't be able to get a forecast until after August. At the moment you have to have 44 years paid stamps for men and 39 years paid stamps for women to receive the full pension, but this is to change in 2010 . the rules will then be 30years paid stamps for men and women. So If you are near pension age and have at least 30 years or more don't pay any voluntary contributions until after you have your forecast in the Autumn