Saying adios to Carlos

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Saying adios to Carlos

Postby katy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:38 pm

Had to let one of my Cats go this morning, he had kidney failure and had taken a turn for the worse this week and hadn't eaten for days. Carlos was a siamese, we think he was 19 (according to some documents we found for the importation of a Siamese from the UK when we bought this house.) He must have been living rough for some years before we lived here as the house had been empty. Sometimes he would disappear for days, returning cut and scabby. Always very timid he rarely came into the house.

Everything changed a few years ago when he was badly mauled, (think I posted on here) according to the Vet by a wild animal. Since then he never left the garden, had different sleeping places according to the time of day and came into the house at sunset to sit beside me, even when I am on the computer he would sit by me. If I went out he was always waiting at the gate when I returned.

So, we knew today had to be the day. Spent a sleepless night and the Vet came early and Carlos went peacefully while I stroked his still silky fur.

My other two cats seem very quiet and as for me I think I see him everywhere :cry:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:51 pm

Very sorry to read about the loss of your beloved pet, Katy.

Chrissie
Resident

Saying adios

Postby Chrissie » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:57 pm

Katy, so sorry to hear about Carlos. I have a Siamese too and they're very special. I expect you'll continue to see him around for a long time. He had reached a very good age and I'm sure you spoiled him.
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:14 pm

Me and him are sorry to hear about your sad loss too Katy, we've been through it too so know how you're feeling. :cry:

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:03 am

"Fear no more the heat of the sun/nor the furious winter rages./Thou thy wordly task hath done/home art gone and taken thy wages./Golden lads and girls all must/as chimney sweepers; come to dust."

Goodbye Carlos.
nil illegitimum carborundum

MarkF
Resident

Re: Saying adios to Carlos

Postby MarkF » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:24 am

katy wrote:Had to let one of my Cats go this morning, he had kidney failure and had taken a turn for the worse this week and hadn't eaten for days.
But you did do the right thing Katy. I had one of my cats put to sleep last year, I put it off a few months later than I should have and I regret that now. :( I still look at his "places" expecting to see him. :cry:

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:05 am

Sorry to hear your sad news Katy but at least Carlos had the best possible life with you and far more than he would have had if you had not moved there. I am sure he lived years longer than he would have done otherwise and was lucky to have a loving and caring owner.

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:21 am

Jool wrote:Sorry to hear your sad news Katy but at least Carlos had the best possible life with you and far more than he would have had if you had not moved there. I am sure he lived years longer than he would have done otherwise and was lucky to have a loving and caring owner.
Could not have phrased it better Jool. I know it's no consolation at the moment but just keep in mind what Jool said there.
It's the part of my business that I hate - we deliver food to all these gorgeous dogs and cats (& rabbits etc too) and get fond of so many of them. Just last week our son & daughter in law had to let their lovely collie/G Shep go - she had a massive tumour and was suffering. My daughter in law rescued her at about 7 weeks when the owners of the mother didn't want the puppies at all. she's been a brilliant dog - a great guard dog (she looked and sounded fierce!)& lots of fun.
Enjoy your happy memories of him.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:31 am

Im really sorry Katy,im sure at the age of 19 Carlos wouldve had a fantastic life with you.I totally understand how you must be feeling at this horrible time.I still cry for my puppy who i lost before xmas,even tho i have another one now.Take care.
Peach.xx

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:52 am

It's always so sad to lose an animal, although he sounds like he had a good long life to reach 19. We lost one of our rescue cats a couple of years ago to kidney failure but she was only 4. We now have another identical cat rescued last year by CAS. She is so similar it's strange and for the first few months we kept calling her by the other cat's name. As you say Peachey, you can get another animal, but you never forget the others that you've had and lost.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:03 am

wicksey wrote:
As you say Peachey, you can get another animal, but you never forget the others that you've had and lost.
I know Wicksey,the slightest thing starts me off-a little puppy came running out from a campo house into the road and nearly got hit by a car,me and my son were on the other side of the road..that was it-floods of tears for both of us.we got in ,my hubby thought we had been in an accident...both of us crying and upset about our old puppy.The new one does help heal,but i constantly compare-even tho the new one is a she not a he.
I will be glad when she reaches 9 months(the age that my pup died)then it will be like starting a fresh with her.
I do sympathise with Katy,Its horrible.But It does help when you have other people to support you ,that know exactly how you are feeling. :wink:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:12 am

Just to add-It also helped me a great deal in planning things after he had gone
getting all his pictures printed up and framed.
I bought a memorial for him that was framed.
I planted a tree for him,that his I.D tags will go on.
collecting all his belongings together ready for a special box for his ashes and his collar and toys to go into.
Little things i have done to make sure he is never forgotten-it does help a great deal.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:27 am

Treasure your memories of him Katy, nothing can ever take those away.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:11 am

We lost our beloved doggy last January- he was killed by another dog. We now have 2 dogs, 1 was a rescue dog and the other a pup who´s Mum was abandoned while pregnant. Neither will replace our precious dog but they have helped. I have a multi picture frame full of our dogs photos sitting next to the computer, so every time I use the pc I can think of our lovely doggy. Losing a pet is truly sad.

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:38 am

I am sorry for you that Carlos has moved on katy. As was said, i bet you still see him around for a long time yet. I do think cats are with you forever.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:43 pm

Thanks for the supportive messages guys...nice to know there are other people who understand. Haven't told any friends yet by phone as I fill up when I think about him.

My OH didn't like Cats and was horrified when I came home with one in the UK. Within 2 weeks he was talking to her and when we had to take her for the last trip to the Vet he broke down in the waiting room! We are down to 2 cats 2 dogs now, another is 16 and she came from the UK.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:05 pm

Oh dear :cry:
You must take comfort from two things, you gave him a good and well cared for long life. And just as importantly you performed the ultimate loving kindness in making the decision it was time for him to go.

lone
Tourist

Postby lone » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:12 pm

Hi Katy
I am very sorry to hear of your sad news, Cats choose their owners, as every cat owner knows. and it is a privilege to be owned. Hopefully it wont be long before painful memories recede and more happy and fond ones return.........thinking of you
regards lone

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:53 pm

Sorry to hear that Katy, but sounds like it was for the best.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:51 pm

Trooperman wrote:"Fear no more the heat of the sun/nor the furious winter rages./Thou thy wordly task hath done/home art gone and taken thy wages./Golden lads and girls all must/as chimney sweepers; come to dust."

Goodbye Carlos.
Who wrote that Troops?

Wish I could think of words like that!