Special Prisons

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Special Prisons

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:26 pm

What kind of country has to have a special prison for policemen?

The UDYCO special crimes National Police Inspector, Carlos Farré, who was arrested on March 14th in connection with alleged irregularities, has been released from a special prison unit in Sevilla designed especially for policemen, on 40,000 € bail.

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/pu ... 6098.shtml

I wonder if they also have one for lawyers and politicians. :roll:

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:42 pm

It's a unit within a prison, UK has them too for 'special' prisoners like police, prosecution lawyers and even offending prison officers. It saves them from being recognised by their 'customers' and the repercussions that could ensue. :!:

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:47 pm

As a matter of interest, is there a special prison for convicted prison officers.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:28 pm

I think they should all be put in together. A bent cop, especially, deserves all he gets and is a total disgrace to his former colleagues.

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:37 pm

..and there are special units within hospitals for people working for the NHS.
For a while i nursed an aneasthetist with a heavy cocaine addition who had been suspended from his NHS position but he used to nip out every Thursday afternoon to do his private work!
anyway, anyway, love from me.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:37 pm

Too much temptation for the prisoner, who would lose their special privileges and remission time for bad behaviour.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:33 pm

Looks as though that special prison unit for bent cops is going to be full soon:

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/pu ... 6155.shtml

spanish hopes
Resident

Postby spanish hopes » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:11 am

I can't speak for Spain as I have no knowledge of the Spanish system, but in the UK, convicted Police or Prison Officers are not so much kept in special prisons as in units within established prisons for their protection from other prisoners.
The main downside for them is that they usually have to spend their incarceration in the same units as 'Nonces' i.e. sex offenders and paedophiles who are also being protected from the main prison.
In most cases depending upon the nature of the crime, the degree of violence if any they had used and of course the length of sentence, convicted Police and Prison Officers are relatively quickly transferred to low category or Open prisons as they are usually considered less likely to re-offend much as is the case with domestic murderers who get considered to be released on licence quicker than a murderer who did it for profit, whilst committing a crime or with a sexual motive.
This may seem like a soft option and in some ways it is, but in other ways it is harder. The opportunity to just walk out if a problem develops at home is always there and if a prisoner does walk then he is (when captured) returned to a higher category prison.