Mobility aids

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
dido72
Resident

Mobility aids

Postby dido72 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:01 pm

Where would a find a shop that sells mobility aids, I need a portable shower chair and some toilet grab rails, or is there anyone selling some second hand ones?

Anywhere in the Antequera area or Malaga area as I am off to Ikea on Friday! :D

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:09 pm

Can't answer for those areas but near the main Velez-Malaga hospital are three mobility shops.
Have a look near main hospitals in your area.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:16 pm

Thanks Gerry I hadn't thought of that, we live nearish Antequera Hospital but have never seen any mobility shops, then again we haven't been looking till now! :D

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:42 pm

Ask at the hospital they may be able to advise you where to get a shower chair. If you don't need one permanently then here's a firm who hire them http://www.mobilityabroad.com/services.html although if you need it for a few weeks it may be just as cheap to buy one.

You may be able to buy grab rails at a DIY store like Leroy Merlin.

If you don't want to fit the grab rails permanently there are suction ones you can get http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IDEALWORKS-SAFETY ... dZViewItem

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:15 pm

Dido,
There are numerous charity based organisations around who may be able to help you with secondhand items, or may even be able to loan you certain items.
I don't know what is available in your area but certainly there are such organisations at the coast.Perhaps you could try the British Legion, etc, I'm sure that they would be able to point you in the right direction...
I passed a skip today, in UK, loaded with everything from zimmer frames to bath aids, I had to have a 'nose', and they all seemed ok, it was outside a 'closed down' peoples home...what a waste !

Gordon...

ashfieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ashfieb » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:42 pm

There is a shop in Antequera in calle Lucena, don't try to drive as Lucena is all dug up at the moment.

Cheers, Barry

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:59 pm

Safeashouses I had a look at those on ebay and they make me a little nervous and I think they can only take up to 14 stones of pressure and in my experience disabled people tend to be quite heavy!!! I am going to Leroy Merlins on Friday so will have a look in there, thanks :)

Benidorm I have sent an email to the RBS in Mollina to see if they know anywhere so cheers, such a shame that skip was in the UK :cry:

ashfieb where is Lucena (the shop not the place!) I will have a look there too!

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:02 pm

Ashfieb said a shop in Calle Lucena this link will take you to a street map http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie= ... wloc=A&f=d

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:18 am

There used to be a shop right opposite the hospital the other side of the roundabout, don´t know if it is still there. There is definitely a shop in Antequera. I´ve walked past it loads of times and yes I think it is Calle Lucena. Next time I walk past I´ll try to get some info.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:07 pm

Sorry ashfieb I read it as called Lucena :oops: .

Thanks guys, I didn't realise how many options I would have!!!