Advice needed

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
jennyshaw
Resident

Advice needed

Postby jennyshaw » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:03 pm

Say if you live in Spain, own you own property but cannot get anyone to buy it, have a family with 2 young kids and you dont have a bean, you cannot work, cannot go back to the UK because you have'nt got the money for the flights, have'nt even got any money to phone anyone, wondering where the next meal is coming from, in fact not eating at all.
What can you do, is there anyone you can ask for help.
Jenny

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:29 pm

Did either parent ever pay in to the spanish system? If so there is unemployment benefit. There may be other benefits too but it depends on the amount of social security paid in to the system. Is there a local gestor you can visit and explain the situation to? Can you borrow money for flights from family in UK and get back there and find work? Can you rent the spanish house out and use first month´s rent to get to UK?

Sounds a dire situation for anyone to be in.......

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:35 pm

:idea: Key into Google the words benevolent fund, scroll through and there may have been a fund set up to assist members and their families for a company that they or a family member have worked for previously or an association they have belonged to in the past.

There is always a way out of difficult situations.

:?: Is the house they live in mortgage free. :?:
Last edited by safeashouses on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raquel
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Raquel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:53 pm

Thing is you won't entitled to anything when you go back either.

try the local church if your that hard up.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:19 pm

Can you make reverse charge calls from Spain? At least that way they could phone family, an old friend, even a past employer if they left on good terms and ask them for help.

If the house is furnished and they just need the money for airfares (assuming someone to help at the other end) then call in one of the second hand furniture dealers, they won't get as much as selling items privately but will get it all at once and in cash.

If that doesn't raise enough for airfares for the whole family then they could consider coach travel, much cheaper. I don't know where this family, fictional I hope, are but you can get a coach from Almeria all the way through to London, just one change at Madrid, I think, at the central bus station.

I really hope this is only a what if but if not there will be a way. I know a family who were in a similar position many years ago but stuck in the USA, a relative lent them the boat fare back and a deposit for a house in England (they rented in America). Once back in England the father quickly found work and they managed to repay the relative within the year. The parents are now grand-parents and happily retired!

jennyshaw
Resident

Postby jennyshaw » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:05 pm

No not fictional, real, but I cannot say too much because as you can see my user name is my real name and I would not like to this to get back to them, they are a proud family.
They just need some help, and I cannot give it to them because I do not live in Spain.
Jenny

mijas-lady
Resident

Postby mijas-lady » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:05 pm

Neighbours of mine last year were in similar situation-he was out of work and her benefits had ran out-not too sure how long or much you get but she had been employed for 4 years.Her father was sending the money over for their rent( so in a way worse off as they had nothing to rent out or sell) She decided to go back last June -when the decision was made she even looked better :? Got the flight money from her dad-went back he got 2 jobs in a few weeks and seem settled now -booked 3 weeks here in July

mijas-lady
Resident

Postby mijas-lady » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:09 pm

Raquel-my friend is getting child benefit and tax credits even though she is living in her fathers home-says it makes a real difference! Another friend is a classroom assistant in a special needs school in N.I.-most of the pupils are from EEC countries with their families all given benefits,homes etc immediately-most have been given cars :roll:

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:18 pm

Jenny, I'm sorry to hear this is a real situation and I'm sure the family will appreciate any small thing you can do, caring enough to make this enquiry is a start. They really need to talk to someone out there. If they are in the same area as you (when in spain) then they may be reasonably close to Albox where there is an organisation called the Almazora Group of Friends which offers a general advice service, even if they can't help directly they may be able to point them towards some help. Also, a long shot, but have they tried the British Embassy to see if any help can be offered? I know everyone will say don't be stupid of course there isn't but you never know, it's got to be worth the question as they might be able to offer something minimal but useful like using the phone to contact relatives.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:18 pm

Not really a safety net here is there :( If someone is really destitute I would advise them to speak to the consulate. They wouldn't give them any handouts but may be able to put them in touch with someone who could help out.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:23 pm

Link to the Almanzora Group of Friends http://www.almanzoragof.org/
They seem to be more about settling in here but maybe worth trying :?

... and the British Embassy, seems there's an honorary consular agency in Granada, whatever one of them is!

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servle ... 4249353765

Raquel
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Raquel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:45 pm

theres loopholes mijas-lady....

lone
Tourist

Postby lone » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:42 pm

Would it be possible to take in a lodger for a while!!!
regards lone

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:14 pm

Could we not have a whip round for them? I know people don't like handing over money to people they don't know but how many of you couldn't spare 20€ or so for a family in need. Money is tight for us at the moment but I could spare that I'm sure, it would only take 20 of us to get them their flights home!!!!

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:12 pm

My hubby has suggested that one of us sets up a pay pal account and anyone who wants to contribute could put it in there anonymously and whoever lives closest to the family (or a friend of the family ie Jenny) could have it put into their bank account and pass it on to the family.

What does everyone think? We will set up a pay pal account and get pass it on to Jenny or whoever, if I get a few replies and Jenny thinks it is a good idea (she know the family) we can go ahead.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:13 pm

I think Dido has made a great suggestion here. Lets put the forum to good use and do something that matters!

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:21 pm

if its genuine I'm up for €20 could a.com hold the money?? this as got to be quick, or their problem gets worse, as we are spread all over the place, could use paypal.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:34 am

are you lot mad,these alleged people own their own home and you want to give them money
they cant work?
why?
if they are that desparate sell your,sorry their, alleged house at a knock down rate

anyway another success story for all you spain lovers put me down for 20p,might pay for a second hand accordian
jayne countys most famous song,google it

beachbabe
Resident

Postby beachbabe » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:53 am

most have been given cars
Oh for goodness sake! Far too much Daily Mail in your daily diet.

Sorry, but this is a massive lie.

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:10 am

In this case, as I see it, the person owns their own home (presumably without a mortgage). So there must also be IBI bills, utility bills etc. to pay and as a homeowner they should also have a bank account even if there is nothing or even a minus figure in it, - and they have no income or ready money to live on. Moving away from this situation is not going to solve it, in fact any debts will be increasing. And even to sell at a knock-downprice will take several weeks to complete - nothing in Spain moves that fast. I wonder if it is possible to declare bankruptcy (as one can in the UK) - and at that point the debts can be frozen. Do they have such a thing is Spain?