Living the Dream...revisited ITV.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Living the Dream...revisited ITV.

Postby katy » Thu May 08, 2008 11:33 am

I have just watched this programme, was on sometime last week, probably Friday. Did anyone see it? I remember the first programme about 4 or 5 years ago.

This one was two couples who left the UK with mobile homes, dogs etc. Both bought cheap properties in andalucía that needed complete renovation. One couple are still here living in a complete wreck without electric except for a generator (probably almería). The only thing they seem to have done in all the years is build some basic dog kennels! An absolute dump and although isolated the scenery is unremarkable.

The Son is just about to leave for the UK and says he will never come back. The nearest village is 4 hours walk! He sounded really nice different from his father and Stepmother who are complete nutters. They have also decided to move...to Bulgaria cos it is cheaper!! The programme covers them seeing a Lawyer as they don't have an escritura as they bought by private contract.

The other couple did a full renovation of their property and then sold it and returned to the UK about 2 years ago. They both have their old jobs back, a modest but very nice cosy home (better than they had in Spain). They also took back 9 cats they had adopted. They seemed a much more sensible couple than the others.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Thu May 08, 2008 11:42 am

I watched this last week Katy. The couple that went back must be one of the few that actually made money out of their mistake, think they bought for 30 odd and sold for over 150k? They have ended up with a far better home in the UK than they sold when leaving for Spain :lol:

But the other couple :shock: Been pretty well stitched up when buying that total slum of a place. Looks like they are just stuck there to me, unless they walk away with nothing.
As an aside, would you put your dog in those kennels? I certainly wouldn't, infact I wouldn't put my dog in the house!
I felt sorry for them as he does seem to have tried hard to keep working whilst here.

bubba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bubba » Thu May 08, 2008 12:38 pm

there is another revisited on tonight. does anyone remember watching the original living the dream where they showed people with bars on the costa about 12 years ago maybe more, they showed a couple with a little boy and a baby, when we came here they were our neighbours, and the little boy now 18 was killed in a motorcycle accident recently in benalmadena. very sad

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu May 08, 2008 1:54 pm

I watched it Katy not a very good advert for anyone wanting to do the same.Why ooh why do these people go to a new country on a wing and a prayer IE not enough money and haven't even go a property in mind and just buy the cheapest horriblest first thing they see.Buy the way its on BBC2 not itv just in case anyone else wants to watch the series.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

lyndajo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lyndajo » Thu May 08, 2008 3:45 pm

"Why ooh why do these people go to a new country on a wing and a prayer IE not enough money and haven't even go a property in mind and just buy the cheapest horriblest first thing they see........."

Not everyone likes to have all the t's crossed and i's dotted and like to live on a wing and a prayer. Wouldn't do if we were all the same.

"Obey all the rules..........miss half the fun....." :) [/i]

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu May 08, 2008 3:57 pm

Yea but why put yourself thru all that hassle.I you fail to prepare.Then prepare to fail. :D :D

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu May 08, 2008 4:08 pm

I didn't see that couple having any "fun". They had lived like that for 4 years, about on par with squatters. The programme ended with them putting a cheap blue plastic cover over the roof as that is all they could afford. Oh and of course they didn't have an escritura!

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu May 08, 2008 4:16 pm

That's what i thought really they weren't living just existing and had been stitched up by that so called fellow Brit.But some people are happy to live like that :oops: :oops: :oops:

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Thu May 08, 2008 4:32 pm

I watched the programme too and was amazed that anyone could stand living the way the couple still in Spain were doing. I hate to think of what they will end up with in Bulgaria if they ever get there.

The other couple who had returned to the UK were very lucky to have sold their Spanish house, but as for the 9 cats, it turned my stomach to see them sitting on the kitchen worktops. How can anyone let cats sit on a surface where food is prepared, ugh.

Tonight's programme is apparently about the family who had bought a bar in Portugal. I remember seeing the original one and thinking they seemed completely clueless so I will be interested to see how it turned out.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu May 08, 2008 4:36 pm

There is a lot of info on another forum about this couple´s kennels in particular and everyone speaks very highly of them and the good level of care for animals. Certainly Tracy has a reputation in their local area for being a genuine dog lover with a very kind heart, and the man who "sold" them their house went out of business some time ago apparently.......

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Sat May 10, 2008 10:14 pm

I met a couple a few weeks ago who have decided to move out to Spain
No jobs to come to, no savings (not even 3 months rent) will be living in a friends place on a golf club for a while but can't wait to get here, they say they have nothing in the UK so may as well be here with nothing ...and we were asked what we thought of their plans???
It's so hard as nobody wants to crush some one's dreams but it looks like a disaster waiting to happen. I think the numerous programes on moving out here have a lot to answer for.... A few weeks ago one was on that advised a couple to split the land they were thinking of buying to make enough money to build their house!!!! they never mention having an extra 10% for legal fees....or licences or permissions .......Oh God I can feel myself going again...gotta get a G&T
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Sun May 11, 2008 12:06 am

unfortunatly a lot of people as you know come out here to 'live the dream'

i have said it before,if you dont know what your doing,dont do it and bar owners are the prime example of this

i suppose the couple that mm met have nothing to lose but i think they may find in the end they will get no help from the state so really they are better off in uk

i have been blaming these programmes for years,there was one called go naked?,the couple took over a bar in fuengirola port called COME SOON,THEY WERE A DISGRACE,the place turned into a drug smoking den,been closed now for a couple of years,another followed the progress of BAMBU BAR,well they lasted a year i think and they became(hohoho)commercial estate agents,the bar has since had at least 3 changes in ownership and the latest couple have split up so i guess that wont last either

success stories are few and far between

on a lighter note,my wife and i were watching the original of the family that bought the mona lisa pub in portugal when a customer was asked 'whats your breakfast like?' ,he replied 'my name is gary smith'

what a thicko i thought,'thats my cousin' said my wife,and it was or is

smiley alert :lol:
jayne countys most famous song,google it