Nationwide cash card - anyone using it?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
pentaqua-new
Resident

Postby pentaqua-new » Fri May 09, 2008 8:16 am

Which atms at which banks can you use? What sort of rate are you getting? Are there charges at the Spanish end? Any problems?

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Fri May 09, 2008 8:21 am

Glad this question was asked and looking forward to comments.
We've been reccomended to open an account and to take a debit card with them too. We usually take cash over for our stays there but have been told that with this card there are no charges and a decent exchange. Our current bank batter you for spending your own money :?

Kenny

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Fri May 09, 2008 8:25 am

We don't get charged now for using our HSBC card but only because we have their plus account. I had resisted converting to this but a) get it at half price for us both because I'm ex staff and b)it gives worldwide annual travel insurance for us both. The cost is probably less than annual travel insurance so it's worth it for us.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri May 09, 2008 8:53 am

We have one each and always get a good exchange rate and never get charged for taking out our own money. I have been with Nationwide for 30 years and have to say they have been pretty good, no real complaints at all. Definitely the best for withdrawing cash over here.....we have other bank cards but using those clobbers us on exchange rate and fees.....

100% recommended.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri May 09, 2008 8:54 am

PS - you need the Flex Account......

pentaqua-new
Resident

Postby pentaqua-new » Fri May 09, 2008 8:57 am

Have been N'wide customer for same period but which atms and what rates???

jan400
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jan400 » Fri May 09, 2008 9:02 am

I always use my Nationwide cashcards at the ATM's in Spain and there are no charges made for using it.

I usually get whatever the bank rate is (I haven't used it for a couple of weeks so I'm not sure what it is now) so it's a bit more than the tourist rate.

I use the account instead of transferring money via the bank. I just put pay in sterling in the UK and withdraw it at any ATM in Spain, although you do have to watch atm's that are in shops as they sometimes levy their own charge.

Usually I use a servired machine but that's only because my Spanish bank is Bankinter and I'm often wanting to pay the money straight in there.

Also, always opt to pay in local currency if the machine gives you an option as if you pay in sterling it's the machine owner who sets the rate.

The only drawback is that there is a daily withdrawal limit of £250 which is set by Nationwide and isn't nearly enough for us if we have bills to pay etc on a short visit.

To get round this we just opened another joint account & with the extra cards so we now have a limit of about 900€ per day.

I think this is one of the best tips we were given when we bought our house in Spain and it's saved us alot of money over the last few years.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri May 09, 2008 9:42 am

I don't have a Nationwide card myself.
However, on various other forums I am on the majority seem to favour a Nationwide card. This is for people who have money in the UK which they can take out in Spain.
You need a UK address to get a Nationwide card.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Fri May 09, 2008 10:06 am

There are no charges at any of the ATMs for using the Nationwide debit card. We always get very close to the published interbank rate. We last used it on 6th May and got a rate of 1.270. Our daily limit per card is £300, which at the minute is about 380 euros. Once you have one account opened, it's easy to open another with them. So we've done what Jan has, and have a joint account and one just in my name, so we can draw a maximum of £900 per day. Not sure if you can up the £300 limit. It used to be £500 but they lowered it because of the amount of fraud. Would be worth asking in branch before coming over. Also, for big purchases, if they take credit cards, there are no charges with Nationwide credit card (other than for drawing cash).
AlisonB

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Fri May 09, 2008 10:11 am

Helpful replies there which are appreciated.
Think I'll sort this out today and open an account.
The only downfall seems to be the daily withdraw, but I suppose if you carry a bit of cash for small bars/shops etc. then no probs.

One more question, I take it there is no limit on what you buy on the card, providing funds are in the bank?.i.e. could you "swipe" 1500 euros if you were buying some furniture etc.?

Cheers,
Kenny

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Fri May 09, 2008 11:18 am

We haven't had a problem with larger amounts on the credit card, but it might be worth giving them a quick ring first so they know to expect it.
AlisonB

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat May 10, 2008 8:14 am

I think that's good advice, Alisonb, in general terms. I had the experience of trying to make a big purchase on a Visa card which they blocked AND then cancelled my card. They thought it had been stolen!!! Caused a few problems at the time BUT I was impressed with their security. Now, before BIG purchases I let them know.

PS We use a Nationwide Card, FlexAccount. No charges, commerical rate of interest.

wendyakemp
Resident

Postby wendyakemp » Sat May 10, 2008 2:41 pm

Any atm showing maestro or cirrus sign, and you can draw the equivalent of £300 each day, the flexaccount card we have is not usable in stores, just cash machines.

El Viejo Hombre
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby El Viejo Hombre » Sat May 10, 2008 3:14 pm

wendyakemp wrote:the flexaccount card we have is not usable in stores, just cash machines.
As far as I am aware you can use your Nationwide Flexaccount card is most if not all stores displaying the Visa sign.

I have often used it in supermarkets such as Eroski or Supersol 8)

pentaqua-new
Resident

Postby pentaqua-new » Wed May 14, 2008 9:31 am

Thanks for all comments. Have just started to use Nationwide Goldcard (not wanting to transfer big amounts at the moment). Have got €1.26100 on purchases and no charge which is exactly what interbank rate has been over past day or two.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed May 14, 2008 9:42 am

Just a quick bit of advice please if poss? Deffo going for a Nationwide card for our trips to Spain that's for sure.
We were going to open the account and put some money in and use it as a debit card.
People have now said to us not to do that and use their credit card instead as it's beneficial for a lot of reasons :? and you get 30days to pay it back on your return.

We've never used credit cards and thus feel a bit dubious about not using "our own" money but it does seem simpler as it was explained to me........i.e. no topping the account up etc.
Which method do you folks use?

The other point I was wondering is if we did put a chunk of savings into the account what interest do they pay?.......that would be a bonus if it were any good.

Thanks Kenny

pentaqua-new
Resident

Postby pentaqua-new » Wed May 14, 2008 9:50 am

Withdrawing cash on creditcard:

This is what Nationwide posted to me last week;

"You can withdraw cash abroad with your credit card in the same way as you can in the UK, credit card withdrawals are subject to a cash withdrawal fee. "

Debit card withdrawals are free UNLESS the machine (atm) puts a charge on.

What I am doing is feeding my account on internet banking to cover such withdrawals on my debit cash card. I have an agreed overdraft facility so it makes it easier.

So actual purchases are OK with Goldcard and Debit Crad, but cash withdrawals better with debit card.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed May 14, 2008 9:59 am

Many thanks for that

Kenny

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Wed May 14, 2008 11:22 am

Kenny I've been using my Nationwide debit card for a few years, always a good rate and never had a problem. I used my credit card (usually only kept for car hire) once in a cash machine. It was a costly experience, even though I'd arranged to clear any amount monthly. It was hubbie's idea to compare rates......... he used his debit card :evil:
Rates at the moment 2.8% on my flexaccount and 5.5% on e-savings. Better rates on different products. Hope this is of help.
Sandramay

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed May 14, 2008 12:53 pm

Sandra, many thanks for that.....it was a great help.

Cheers

Kenny