Granada Moroccan quarter

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Campo Kenny

Granada Moroccan quarter

Postby Campo Kenny » Sun May 18, 2008 9:41 am

After the trips to Morocco OH (and myself) really have an affection for the place, she wants to go again during our visit to the Casa this coming June/July but I have a feeling a few days there may be just a bit too hot.

Anyway a friend has mentioned the above and says it's just like the real thing with all the atmosphere etc.
Can anbody second that or even dispute it?
We'd probably stay a night and try and book for the palace so a reccomendation for a really nice (special) place to stay would be more than welcomed.........what is the name of those places run by the government?, usually old palaces etc., she was reading about one in Granada via a magazine on our last visit but forgets the details.

Many thanks,
Kenny

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun May 18, 2008 9:53 am

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sun May 18, 2008 10:00 am

Wow cheer Hilly, that's the one. That 2 night special looks good value to me.

Thanks once more,
Kenny

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun May 18, 2008 7:23 pm

Having had a nasty experience on a holiday to Tangier we are not keen to return there so get our Moroccan fix in Granada city. I think it's the silk market where the traders are, which is next to the cathedral from memory. If you then go up through the Albaicin area there are some Moroccan tea shops and we have been to a nice tiny little restaurant at the top of the hill where you get great views over the Alhambra. We then walk back down to the river and into the main part of the city again. It's a favourite spot of ours.

A couple of pics below for you of the silk market area and a Moorish door in the Albaicin.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Sun May 18, 2008 8:06 pm

Have stayed in the Parador in The Alhambra Kenny, very nice 8)
Be sure to jump on the little bus up to San Nicolas mirador to see the view of The Alhambra that you will have seen on Calendars, you can then walk from there all through the Albacin. The pics Wicksey has posted are of all the little streets that run along side the Cathedral, full of Morrocan shops. Walk through them into Bib Rambla which is a square with all the flower stalls, and you will get the best chocolate y churros in the cafes over on the lefthand side. There are also lots of morroccan shops, teterias, and restaurants running along the back streets near to Plaza Nueva. Fabulous city, my favourite in Andalucia so far, we go every Feb or March for a few days. Be prepared to walk, and walk, and walk every inch of it.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed May 21, 2008 12:08 pm

Wicksey, Paula, thanks a million for that info Thanks for the pics too.

So I take it Albacin is in fact the Moroccan quarter then?, we know where to aim for now...does it have the traditional bazars etc.?.
Looks like we're struggling for staying at the parador this year on the dates that we'd hoped :( . Will have to try and find somewhere else nice now.

Thanks for your comments, we found it very helpful and it made us pleased to know it's worth the visit.

Thanks once more ,
Kenny.

PS Wicksey......what was the problem in Tanger?..........hope it wasn't anything too nasty, it's just that OH is very, very wary about walking in that city............I was just under the impression it looks worse than it is but it is an OK place..bit of grief from the sellers but they're quite easy to get rid of.

julian
Andalucia Guru

tanger

Postby julian » Wed May 21, 2008 5:54 pm

I spend a lot of time in Morocco, and have an apartment in Tanger, I´ve never experienced any problems there personally.

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Wed May 21, 2008 6:15 pm

We stayed at THE ABADIA in Granada (You can Google it) It was beautiful, clean, Moroccan, wonderful textiles, delightful courtyard The staff were so helpful. We have been back 3 further times. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

We were robbed in the Morrocan quarter by children but our lack of vigilance was mostly to blame for this, however the local police could not have been more helpful.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Thu May 22, 2008 1:26 am

well my experience of morrocans is seeing them dance in joy at the 9/11 bombings,chasing a carpet seller away as he was rude to one of my staff with him cheering saddam as he ran,going to tangiers and being very pesterered,bad food,and a tour of a toilet
i can think of better people i wish to live amongst
jayne countys most famous song,google it

julian
Andalucia Guru

frog

Postby julian » Thu May 22, 2008 7:37 am

a big adavantage of being in Tanger is that it looks like I will be unlikely to find you there frog.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu May 22, 2008 8:35 am

You were on form in the early hours Frog :lol: I don't like anything about the Muslim culture except some of its art. Their attitude to women is appalling.

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Thu May 22, 2008 8:58 am

I totally agree with you there katy. I could NEVER live there although I love the art and architecture. Far more pleasant, and certainly with fewer problems for women, to have a 'Moroccan experience' in Spain I think :D
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Thu May 22, 2008 11:36 am

Hi Kenny we stayed at the Sol Melia hotel for our 25th aniversary in 2006. Only 2 minutes walk from the albaicin district and main squares for buses (1euro) to the Alhambra) wonderful city. try www.solmelia.com
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu May 22, 2008 3:30 pm

Hi Kenny. I admit it was some years ago (1985!) that I was there but we had the most awful food poisoning and were ill in bed for several days. We found it smelly and dirty but I guess it may have smartened itself up since then. For us, Granada is much nicer and we can haggle for a few Morrocan bits and pieces and have a really nice tagine with proper mint tea.