Dog Owners Beware!!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
twiggy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Dog Owners Beware!!

Postby twiggy » Tue May 20, 2008 8:52 am

My beautiful west highland terrier bit a huge toad in the garden on Saturday night. When I say huge, I mean huge, if you put it on a dinner plate it would hang over the sides!
This toad was poisonous and killed her within 15 minutes.
I am told that they come out at dusk looking for bug to eat.
PLEASE put your dogs on a lead at night. This was traumatic and agonizing for both me and my dog.
The poison in the toad makes the tongue swell until they cannot breathe.
PLEASE BEWARE!

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Tue May 20, 2008 8:55 am

How awful. I'm so sorry and thank you for warning everyone on here.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Tue May 20, 2008 9:26 am

Sorry to hear about your loss. And we'll definitely take your advice

Fred

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Tue May 20, 2008 9:39 am

Twiggy, I am so sorry, heart rending for you and your poor little dog.......

fearless nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby fearless nige » Tue May 20, 2008 10:04 am

God that sounds horrendous. So sorry for your loss.

Biskit
Tourist

Postby Biskit » Tue May 20, 2008 11:08 am

Really sorry to hear about your loss. It was very considerate of you to start this thread at this difficult time. Thank you!

mijas bound
Resident

Postby mijas bound » Tue May 20, 2008 12:49 pm

does anyone know if these things can be harmful to humans??

probably not adults but small children??
Via con DIABLO

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Tue May 20, 2008 1:53 pm

Twiggy - How dreadful for you, sorry to hear about your little dog.

Mijas - I would assume if it can kill a small dog in 15 minutes it would be best to keep small children away from one.

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Tue May 20, 2008 2:28 pm

so sorry Twiggy it must have been so dreadful for you but thank you for sharing as it could save other pets
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room

Don

Postby Don » Tue May 20, 2008 2:32 pm

Have heard of this with toads and condolences to you also. Apparently a similar thing can happen with the processional caterpillars if a dog gets one in its mouth the tongue can swell and prevent breathing.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue May 20, 2008 4:04 pm

So sorry to hear about your dog, what a nasty thing to happen.
We had a very tiny baby toad in the garden the other day- I rescued it before the hens ate it. I wonder if it would have killed the hen?

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Tue May 20, 2008 11:00 pm

thanks for the info,i really feel for you,would hate to lose my two,your brought a tear to my eye :cry:
jayne countys most famous song,google it

twiggy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby twiggy » Wed May 21, 2008 8:36 am

Thank you all for your caring replies. It was indeed an experience that I will not forget in a hurry. I didn't mean to upset anyone, but I did want you to know the seriousness of these frogs and how much heartache they can bring.
There was a thread on this site not so long ago where the dog bit a toad, but did survive. I understand from the vet that the small toads are poisonous, but not deadly.
I have a 6 year old son too. I asked the vet about kids, and he said normally the child would not cause a threat to the toad, so therefor would not be effected. I think the poison has to be ingested to react. Still I have banned my boy from touching any sort of toad/lizard etc etc. I have spoken to the kids I know telling them not to poke with sticks etc!
I am glad the the message came across 'USE A LEAD'Thanks again everyone.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Thu May 22, 2008 8:27 pm

twiggy wrote:There was a thread on this site not so long ago where the dog bit a toad, but did survive. I understand from the vet that the small toads are poisonous, but not deadly.
Hi Twiggy. I am so sorry for your loss. Mine was the post before where my little dog did survive. I can not imagine how you feel at this moment.
Thank you once again for bringing it to everyones attention.

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

ICCSL
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ICCSL » Sat May 24, 2008 2:33 pm

mijas bound wrote:does anyone know if these things can be harmful to humans??

probably not adults but small children??
Here are some useful links:-

http://www.practicalspain.com/spanish-reptiles.htm

http://www.edgeofexistence.org/amphibia ... php?id=601

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwife_toad

Sorry about your dog Twiggy, and thanks for letting us know about this. I will certainly be more vigilant with my dogs. There isn't much info on the web with regard to these toads but it would seem practical to keep small children away from them.
Tina

Sadie
Resident

Postby Sadie » Sat May 24, 2008 7:57 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your dog Twiggy. I do understand what a horrendous experience it must have been as I too lost my westie to a toad just over a year ago. I am glad you felt able to post as I did at time (Pet owners be aware) so hope it will make others aware and save some more pets from this awful experience.

Here is a little poem for your doggie that someone sent to me.

https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat May 24, 2008 8:25 pm

We lost our little dog earlier this year, he was killed by another dog. Reading the Rainbow Bridge has bought a big lump to my throat!

twiggy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby twiggy » Wed May 28, 2008 9:51 am

I have forwarded the links to my local magazine to warn more people. The more people I speak to the more people are saying that there are hundreds of them, regularly seen at night around thier houses! It's seems funny that I no longer listen to the crickets at night, I now listen to toads :shock:
I read the poem, and yes, a tear came to my eye. Nice thought though.
Thank you, once again for your kind words.

Robano
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Robano » Thu May 29, 2008 1:23 pm

My sympathies to you.

We have a huge toad living in the hole where our main water tap is located. We open the top at night and close during the day when our cats are out. My understanding is that the poison is in something given off through the skin when it is attacked. Cats are unlikely to do that where dogs are maybe less careful about what they try to eat.

Does anyone have any idea sabout how to get rid of this toad. It dives deep under the concrete when we open the top. She is rather a fine looking creature and I wouldn't want to kill it - but catching it !!!!

Steve
Now living, relaxing and passing the time Cornwall for a while - very often thinking of the Axarquia and its mountains.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu May 29, 2008 2:03 pm

We had a huge Toad around for years. Sometimes it would be in the woodpile and if I walked out after dark it would be sitting on some steps in the garden. The Dogs never bothered with it and I grew rather fond of it. Last year my OH said he had seen it and there was a horrible tumour type thing on its back. I thought it may have been eggs but a few months after we found it dead in the undergrowth.

Last month I found a sort of Terrapin in the pool. I rescued it and took it to my neighbour who has a large pond. He said he had been looking for it for a year, it was a rare one worth 400E :shock: