Those summer visitors....

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Those summer visitors....

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 21, 2008 6:25 pm

Is it just us, or does everyone else find that their visitors are the fussiest eaters on the planet? My OH's granddaughter asked if she could bring a friend for a week. OH just called her and asked, in passing, if the friend had any particular likes/dislikes. "Well, since you mention it she is a bit of a fussy eater..." she says. The girl eats chicken and chips, might force down a bit of salad, beans on toast or crisps are ok, and if she must, a mild curry now and again!!
What the *^%$ is wrong with parents bringing up such fusspots?!
Or are we unlucky?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Wed May 21, 2008 6:28 pm

If she is hungry, she will eat.
You just need to tell her, "Things are different in Spain."
anyway, anyway, love from me.

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Wed May 21, 2008 6:49 pm

Annie if that was the case my two eldest grandchildren would have gone home in a box, determined or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The boy wanted a bowl of boiled rice for his breakfast and no he is not Chinese but comes from Sussex. I felt sick watching him eat it.
Take him to KFC in Marbella and he was like a wild thing!!!!!!!!!!
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Wed May 21, 2008 7:59 pm

Lol. I do find that children can be stubborn. the trick is to make your announcement and then never, ever catch their eye. Mine will eat rabbit and seafood when in Spain becaue i thell them that's all there is.
YES....i admit it, a big part of me doing it is for my own pleasure. I have to take it where i can.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Wed May 21, 2008 8:14 pm

I used to have major problems feeding my OH son during his long summer holiday with us. He did not like gravy at all so anything with gravy was out, hated tomatoes but a tomato sauce was fine. In fact tomato ketchup came with everything, including roast dinners :shock: Did not like pies of any description spicy food, and only liked one or two vegetables one of which was tinned peas.

I finally retrained him and now he is a good trougher and especially likes really good asian food. My secret...I ignored every word and gave him everything, he used to hate me for it but he loves me now....lol

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Wed May 21, 2008 9:32 pm

My youngest was the faddiest eater ever from the time when he was weaned. If it didn't feel right on his finger, it wouldn't go near his mouth!
I used to teach children with severe learning difficulties and know all about behavior management. I tried every technique in the book plus many more. Nothing worked!
In the end we stuck a bargain...I wouldn't badger him to eat and if he didn't like what was on offer, he would just go hungry. Without complaint!
He lived. We lived. He will now try anything and eat most things, except fish. All on his own terms.
What I'm trying to say here is, please don't balme the parents for a faddy child! Don't dance attendance on the child either.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 21, 2008 10:15 pm

But the friend of the granddaughter is 23 years old............ :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:19 pm

Food is the bane of my life both with my children not eating enough and with me eating too much!!!

2 out of 3 of my children are HORRIBLE eaters, my daughter (and oldest) is the worst and I think her attitude to food rubs off on my son (middle child). My youngest son on the other hand will eat anything, you could give him a plate of raw broccoli and he would eat it and then finish everyone else's too. The older 2 are a constant worry to me, I do say you have to eat that or you have nothing but it doesn't work, they just have nothing!!! I hate throwing food away so I usually eat it :cry:

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Wed May 21, 2008 11:09 pm

[quote
YES....i admit it, a big part of me doing it is for my own pleasure. I have to take it where i can.[/quote]
Thank you Annie - that's given me a brilliant chuckle! I know the feeling.
And Dido - yes I spent years thinking I couldn't waste food so ate it myself. so what's my excuse now with children who have long left home? And a granddaughter who can eat like 2 horses and stays beautifully slim. No justice is there?
But faddy eaters (have been one myself on and off) - ignore them. If they're hungry they'll eat. If they're still breathing they're ok. Don't worry and don't pander to them. Might work!!!!