Transport Strike Starting Friday

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:19 pm

Wicksey wrote:.......It's basically because I've nothing better to do today :wink:
...and the fact it is absolutely roasting outside!!! :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

johnwp
Andalucia.com Amigo

petrol shortage

Postby johnwp » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:52 pm

I have clients coming over this saturday and they have been advised from car rental co , that the car will only be half full.

Suggest anyone renting a car check with the company you are dealing with.

Lake Vinuela petrol station still closed

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:04 pm

just been around town. the petrol station at the bottom of c/cartama is completly empty, and the one on c7gerald brenan / c/malaga has no "ultimate" petrol. apparently the one at the top by alhaurin golf only has ultimate left.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:47 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7450120.stm

from the BBc news webpage. Looks more promising :)

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:52 pm

I watched a fisherman come in to Carihuela beach this afternoon. He got totally surrounded by people apparently trying to buy his catch.
Gonna look for a boat and fishing rod tomorrow to buy.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:28 pm

There are lorries on the move tonight on the A92 in and out of Sevilla...

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:04 am

Boycott products made in China (and the rest of Far East!) - it'll dry their economy up and give us back lower prices for fuel.
Hello, but why call yourself 'Toyotadesigner' then, when we all know it is Japanese??? Is Japan not in the Far East now??????

Kmoppz
Resident

Postby Kmoppz » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:35 am

The wife arrived at Malaga last night, picked up the hire car and filled it up at the station opposite the airort no problem...

A bit of a relief, I was a little worrried sitting back here in the UK.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:41 am

From today's Telegraph
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ivers.html
I like the bit that says "British tourists reported being targeted. David Copestake, 40, an estate agent with a holiday home on the Costa del Sol, said his car was pelted with stones. "One rock smashed into the windscreen, heading straight for my head," he said."
Doesn't he realise, it wasn't because he was a Bristish tourist... :wink:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:44 am

Kmoppz wrote:I was a little worrried sitting back here in the UK.
Welcome to our world :wink:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... s-dry.html

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:54 am

peteroldracer wrote:Yesterday one neighbour brought round a couple of courgettes, today another brought runner beans and some of those big spring onions.......who needs shops when you live in the campo!? :D
Plus there’s always ‘wild food’ growing in the campo. I went out yesterday looking for setas.....................And yes..................I found one :shock: :roll:

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:13 am

Well it reflects worst on David Copestake, what a dipstick. How irresponsible of the Telegraph to report so inaccurately, everyone who breaks the strike lines was being targeted, even our local supermarket had a lorry blockading the entrance and police were turning shoppers away to defuse the incident.......do you think Gordon has asked them to stop the drain of the earners to spain..?? :wink:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:53 pm

Wicksey wrote:
karandjon wrote:Am i the only person who checks her cupboards on a regular basis for any items approaching their date and bins them or use them before they expire? or maybe i just have OCD....? :oops:
You must be too young to remember days before the 'invention' of sell-by date :wink: . We have eaten natural yoghurt that is well past its best-before date, we just open things and if they smell and taste OK we eat them. I once used some Oxo Indian cubes 10 years past their sell-by date (that was when I was staying at a friend's house who is the ultimate hoarder) :oops: . It doesn't happen that often as we tend to use most of our cupboard stock quite regularly, but there's always something lurking at the back that gets forgotten, isn't there :D .
Sorry to go back to this again, but I see the Tonight prog is about sell-by dates so may be interesting. I am appalled by the amount of food that is apparently wasted in the UK - not quite sure how they know what is thrown away, but I rarely chuck anything out :oops:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:07 pm

I'm with you Wicksey. If it smells ok, tastes ok and isn't green and furry (not counting kiwi fruit!) it gets eaten. My huge jar of Marmite must be 5 years old, there are 2 yoghurts in my fridge that are 2 months out of date but will get used and as for herbs and spices, stock cubes etc, they are positively collectors' items in my house!

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:10 pm

I agree about the waste and must admit that we lob enough out each week to make a couple of banquets :? ................but if they do insist on putting sell-bys' on then I'm afraid I just feel ill at the thought of eating something that's 30 seconds over!

Kenny

PS It makes me laugh how you can well hang a pigeon for a month but buy a chicken and it's green if it's not quaffed that day :?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:14 pm

just been up to the petrol station on the malaga road and none of their pumps are covered up so i guess they had a delivery ?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:22 pm

Wicksey wrote: not quite sure how they know what is thrown away,
Little CCTV cameras installed inside your bins. They're everywhere, you know. :shock:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:30 pm

come down the market sunday, i´m selling tin foil hats ;)