Transport Strike Starting Friday

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
jennyshaw
Resident

Postby jennyshaw » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:37 pm

Just heard from friends that have just been in to Baza, could'nt find any milk, bread, meat vegetables and no diesel anywhere there, they had to go back to the village and buy their produce at the local shop and eventually found some diesel.
I'm really panicking now just e-mailed the car hire company to see if they are still operating the full tank policy.
We have a hotel booked on the coast for 2 nights Mon/Tues just wondered if i should cancel it now, then at least we should get our money back.
Would you cancel the hotel?
Jenny

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:38 pm

Torrox Mercadona was much like the other shops today, the only part of the chickens left for sale were the feet - yummy! I can cope without meat but miss my usual banana a day and other fruit and veg. Whilst walking on the paseo at Algarrobo yesterday we came across a filthy camposino selling tomatoes at 1€ for 2kg so we now have a good supply of those if nothing else :lol: . Mind you, I don't fancy them raw very much so will be roasting them (the cats took a particular interest in them when we brought them home and all 3 had their heads right inside the bag sniffing intently for about 5 mins, :shock: )

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:50 pm

La Raya wrote:But as you say Gretch, there are some interesting things at the back of cupboards. :)
Have just found a tub of Sainsbury's skimmed milk powder...with a best before date of May 1999! Anyone else found anything "interesting"?

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:51 pm

Bongtrees, :( is that national strike on the 15th July just for a day?.........if it's more then I'll sod off to Morocco for a couple of days 8)

Katy, I'll fetch you a lettuce over but me tommies won't be ready :( .........I'll bring you a handfull of Jerseys instead :idea:

Kenny

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:57 pm

Cows????
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:02 pm

Jersey Royals????? Lovely new potatoes boiled with a tad of butter on serving :D

Sadie
Resident

Postby Sadie » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:25 pm

Oh yummy You can bring me a supply of jersey royals too please Kenny.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:28 pm

If all businesses in Spain, especially transporters, could reclaim all of their vat on fuel things might be a little fairer.

pirate
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pirate » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:04 pm

ha no eggs, meat, fish, frozen food or veg up here, so its biteing.

Will the police allow them the bring the country to a standstill or will they let them have a couple of days of glory before taking action?

One thing I`ll say for them...they got more guts than the Brits when they have a grievance with the government
Snot me, stwiscki

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:14 pm

The Spanish government is sleepwalking into disaster and its inaction over this dispute is only the latest example of its ineptitude.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:39 pm

Found a lovely tin of kidney beans in our cupboard JUST within its sell by date.....my chilli's are now nice and hot so guess what I'm eating tomorrow? :wink:

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:17 pm

I suppose a well hung wood pigeon in a brandy jus lying on a fricasse of wild Lancashire Rocket with hand peeled **** mushrooms is wide of the mark then 8) ?

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:18 pm

No matter how long the strike goes on for, I am NOT eating one of my hens :shock: Neighbours hens yes, mine no way!!

toyotadesigner
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby toyotadesigner » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:37 pm

At least you have something to trade :mrgreen:
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

sunkissed
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sunkissed » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:39 pm

toyotadesigner wrote:
Boycott products made in China (and the rest of Far East!) - it'll dry their economy up and give us back lower prices for fuel.

I'm well aware that a boycott of products made in Far East will cover around 99% of all consumer products, but what the heck - if we want to survive we have to take action immediately.
So it doesn't matter if millions of people in the far east live in poverty or starve, so long as you can have access to cheap fuel? Cause your life is more important than theirs ?
Last edited by sunkissed on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:41 pm

Have friends/pet sitters out tomorrow, have asked them to bring a food parcel. :wink: Strange isn't it, have most things in the freezer but the only things I don't have are salad items...and salad is all I wanted to eat tonight :roll:

toyotadesigner
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby toyotadesigner » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:01 pm

sunkissed wrote:So it doesn't matter if millions of people in the far east live in poverty or starve, so long as you can have access to cheap fuel? Cause your life is more important than theirs ?
So you really think they have a better life now? Have you been there?

Obviously you one of the 'good doers species' who prefer to give a fake better life to others while not caring about yourself. Pretty strange, don't you think?

And you still buy the 23rd flash light from Lidl for 2.99 Euros with an integrated radio, MP3 player, mobile phone, pocket calculator and ugly design, made of precious oil to be disposed of just 3 weeks later?

Come on, give me a break, as soon as you won't be able to drive any more to move your b*tt from A to B to buy something to eat and drink, you'll be the very first to run amok and scream for bread louder than anybody else on this planet.

Instead of sending funds to China I'll invite you to send me the diesel in your car - I really won't reject your donation, and you'll meet the lucky guy in person, whereas you'll never know where your money goes if you send it to China or Far East.
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:04 pm

Found some pudding rice 2 years out of date, half a packet of soft brown sugar and a full jar of maraschino cherries and tomorrow I'm going to hunt out OH's secret chocolate stash. Will have to go on a diet when the strikes over :oops:

sunkissed
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sunkissed » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:23 pm

toyotadesigner wrote: Boycott products made in China (and the rest of Far East!) - it'll dry their economy up and give us back lower prices for fuel.

I'm well aware that a boycott of products made in Far East will cover around 99% of all consumer products, but what the heck - if we want to survive we have to take action immediately.
toyotadesigner wrote:So you really think they have a better life now? Have you been there?
I never said they had a great life now, but what you were proposing is the whole of the west boycott their goods, forcing them into further poverty, so you can have cheaper petrol.

Without cheap imports from China over the last 15 years, you'd be paying by now £80 for a pair of shoes, £20 for a T-Shirt, £400 for a bicycle, £3000 for a flat screen TV etc, etc, etc. It's those lower costs goods that have helped keep inflation low and raised the living standards for everyone, even the poor in the western world.

Each American consumer uses roughly double the oil a European consumes, 26 barrels a year for USA, 12 for Europeans and many times more than the Chinese. They have 5 percent of the world's population and consume 25 percent of the world's oil. Driving around for years in gas guzzling cars.

The fed cut the rates so many times to bail out the banks, signalling they don't care about the value of the worlds reserve currency, many have invested in oil as it has real value, helping to push up the price.
Last edited by sunkissed on Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

bubba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bubba » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:28 pm

cassandra I also have brown sugar and cherries also have those packet sauce mixes , baking powder and gelatine. maybe I shall have to mix it all up in a bowl and eat it soon . It was strange today thought about what we should have for dinner and realised I didnt have much choice. weird.