SO,YOU CAN SPEAK SPANISH THEN

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:13 am

its alright frog,peter old racer gets like this once in a while,he is frustrated you see....it depends on when the misses decides to give into him! :roll:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:59 am

princess peach wrote: ..it depends on when the misses decides to give into him! :roll:
As has been documented here by me before, due to many years of cigarette smoking, and despite giving up completely some six or seven years ago, my arteries are so furred up that for me erections are things put up by CdS builders.
A nice bowl of gazpacho, steak au poivre and a bottle of Ribero del Duero beat rumpo by a long way, anyway. :D
I still cannot accept that frog is male, as she goes on like an old woman. :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

spanish

Postby patricia » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:36 am

[quote
I still cannot accept that frog is male, as she goes on like an old woman. :roll:[/quote] what a sexist remark, are you saying that woman talk a load of drivel and men only make intelligent and insightful remarks just like the one above! You and Frog would make great friends :twisted:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:07 pm

It is not sexist to recognise that there are trends and attitudes much more prevalent in one gender than the other (or the one in-between the norms!).
Women use three times as many words per day as men, mostly struggle to rapidly get to the point, digressing into 'well she was wearing that blue dress that she wore to the Legion do, and her cousin is getting a divorce you know....."
There has never been the need for genetic or DNA testing to distinguish between the sexes: get the subject to sit in front of the television when a serious programme is on, such as 'Newsnight', 'Panorama' or 'Question Time'. Ask them to watch for twenty minutes, then to give you a summary of what they have seen: The male will describe the arguments put forward subject by subject, and probably volunteer an opinion on them. The female will tell you what hairstyle any female panellist/presenter had, what she was wearing, and if, in her opinion, the alpha males in the programme had "shifty eyes", had recently left their partner/wife, and if their tie matched the shirt. Teeth - their whiteness and state of general dentistry will be the deciding factor in whether she likes them.
She will not have a clue what was being talked about.
If there is one male and one female watching together, he will also not know what was being said, as she will have constantly spoken to him (being insecure about whether she matters to him) about the hair, teeth, tie and so on.
:twisted:
She may just be honest enough to say that she would not want to work for a female boss, in particular any of the women on the recent 'The Apprentice' programme, because they are all a waste of space and not capable of doing a managerial role.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:25 pm

Oh dear Peter
Have a look here:
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=wom ... e-than-men

and here:
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=121366

Feminist conspiracy do you think?
Grouser

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:58 pm

I sometimes can't think of a word in English (it's my age you know :wink: ) and can only remember the Spanish. I'm not particularly fluent but certain little phrases, like 'mas o menos' just come to mind before the English equivalent. On a bad day I sometimes break into French as well despite not living there for a year :oops:

spanish hopes
Resident

Postby spanish hopes » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:09 pm

The only similarity between peter and frog is their eagerness to make tongue in cheek comments. The main difference is that peter is good at it and shows a level of intelligence only dreamed of by frog and his harem. :lol:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:58 pm

Despite difficulties in other departments, I can still insert an active tongue between the right set of cheeks! :wink:
As for Grouser: never mind the research - I know what a word-count in our house would come up with! :wink:
As for women managers, the survey was in Australia, where the men generally make me ashamed of my gender - a kangaroo of either sex would probably do better than a Sheila! :P
Last edited by peteroldracer on Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:09 pm

I have days when I speak more spanish than english - I live in the campo with all Spanish neighbours, and as a result sometimes have great difficulty n remembering the English word for somethng! If a Spaniard replies to me in English, I ask if we may carry on in Spanish as I need the practice, and sometimes end up in a conversation where the Spaniard is speaking English and I'm rattling away in Spanish - could only happen here! Did get one over on the Spanish the other day, was at the local Seguridad Social office, and one very officious jobsworth tokk one look at me and said he spoke no English and I would have to wait to see his colleague - the look on his face when I pointed out quite fluently that there was no need was classic!
I can spell but I can't type

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:17 pm

On the first count:
Is that still true after a glass or two of vino Peter?
Grouser

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:15 pm

[quote="peteroldracer"
There has never been the need for genetic or DNA testing to distinguish between the sexes: get the subject to sit in front of the television when a serious programme is on, such as 'Newsnight', 'Panorama' or 'Question Time'. Ask them to watch for twenty minutes, then to give you a summary of what they have seen: The male will describe the arguments put forward subject by subject, and probably volunteer an opinion on them.
She will not have a clue what was being talked about.
[/quote]
Whilst I agree that it is not necessarily sexist to refer to differences between the sexes, your comments there are definitely a generalisation. And certainly don't apply in our house!

mijasmagic
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mijasmagic » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:52 pm

A Spanish waiter we know well once told us that if he´s not busy he will speak Spanish to Brits, but if he´s run off his feet he simply doesn´t have the time to try and understand/correct/repeat any conversations in elementary Spanish, so maybe the trick is to only practice our Spanish when the staff appear to have the time :roll:

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:49 pm

good point mijas,but there are only a few busy restaurants at the moment so i guess the expats are free to carry on in their own misguided way
jayne countys most famous song,google it