What do you really think of Gib

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
mijas bound
Resident

What do you really think of Gib

Postby mijas bound » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:16 am

HI All,
Just returned from a week on the CDS, had a great time except in Gib.
it was the first day of the strike. no queues getting in, very long queues for petrol at Morrisons and no queues getting out.

I think the whole place is really slummy, you can never park there, there are constant road works (really is like being in the UK)

just wondered what others thought of this "jewel in the crown"

i say give it back to Spain
Via con DIABLO

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:21 am

:( Always reminds me of downtown Portsmouth in the 60's. Interesting but grotty! (Oh, and expensive!).

Kmoppz
Resident

Postby Kmoppz » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:21 am

Been twice, I agree it's grubby at best. Dont plan to go back!

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:23 am

Give it back to Spain.....it makes Toxteth look like St Tropez 8)

mijas bound
Resident

Postby mijas bound » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:42 am

Yeah, i was surprised at how expensive it was, i ve been twice before and not really noticed, i was just amazed at how cheap the "essentials" were (cigs and booze)
was talking to a barman in Arroyo and he used to live in Gib. and says there is totally no night life at all there.
Via con DIABLO

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:42 am

I agree! I went once, 2 years ago....and once we enough for me! It was very grubby. It felt very claustrophobic. Parking was difficult, building work everywhere and just very very grubby! I couldnt wait to get back out of there!!
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:52 am

Campo Kenny wrote:Give it back to Spain.....it makes Toxteth look like St Tropez 8)
Toxteth has always been like St. Tropez - all the girls are very willing to get their t1ts out for nothing! 8)
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:58 am

The first time I went was years ago and I was really disappointed in how dirty and scruffy it was. The last time I went (last Oct) it was just the same and the traffic was awful. It reminded me of England years ago before they started tidying up and prettifying some of the towns. At 5pm everything shut and it felt very dead. It's only a tiny place so you would think that the powers-that-be should make some effort to improve the place and make it more attractive. The Main Street and large plaza at one end has been improved a bit, but it's not exactly a place I would rush back to or take visitors to.

The Pub grub was horrible and pricey too. Our friends 'treated' us to a very expensive afternoon tea at probably the most famous hotel there, and that was dreadful. The waiters were so rude and off-hand towards us and the tea itself was disappointing (tiny plastic pots of pink jelly calling itself jam - they should have used the little jars of Elsenham or Wilkins that you can get, or at least a good quality jam served in a dish) and the scones were dry and stale tasting. Amazingly there was no choice of teas or infusions either. I was told quite rudely that it they only had a "very good black tea" so it was that or nothing basically. I'm not usually a tea-drinker and a mint tea would have been a nice alternative. It was a very unpleasant experience.

jwc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jwc » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:26 am

When you have been once you don't really want or need to go back again.

kelly
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kelly » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:37 am

i was forced to go there by kids who missed London when we first moved over,bought two dvds that were ONLY supposed to be sold in USA. The place is a simmering toilet full of racists.

aidan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby aidan » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:13 pm

Gibraltar is a Car Park. This is the ideal place to experiment with Trams. No reason this place could not ban cars, it is so small but the taxi drivers are a mafia there. The only thing of value there is tobacco and cigarettes.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:02 pm

We have firends who ´love´ Gib- I think it is ok for cheap smelly stuff / booze/fags (for our neighbour) but not worth the day there. It is just like one giant housing estate. :(

Angie P
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Angie P » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:34 pm

And have you seen the price of property there??????

I cant believe they can seriously ask the prices they do to live there..

Some of the blocks people live in are ghetto like..

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:01 pm

Dirty, stinking hovel. I went once and vowed never to go back.

It always sounded such an idyllic and romantic place on Two-Way Family Favourites. Nothing could be further from the truth!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:11 pm

Perhaps we should send a link to this to their Tourist Board, or perhaps they don't care as they make enough income from all the off-shore stuff :lol:

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:48 pm

I agree with everything that's been said about the town - grubby and generally horrible. But I do think that the trip up the rock is impressive. Views are spectacular and the history is interesting. But once is enough thanks. Visitors are now sent on their own if they insist on going
AlisonB

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:06 pm

I have to agree with you Alison that the trip up the rock on my last visit was the best thing we'd done on our numerous trips there (we've only gone so often because we have been meeting the in-law's cruise ship when it has docked there - sounds like I'm some kind of masochist keep going there when I don't really like it :oops: )

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:20 pm

I think there are some real geniuses on here - one visit of a couple of hours and they have an accurate assessment of the place and its people....... :shock:
I must try that next visit we make: stop a passer-by and get his/her views on race, cleanliness, politics in Spain and Gib, then base all my views on that snap-shot!
As for prices, any resident of Porto Banus would thrill to pay so little for food and drink!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

mijas bound
Resident

Postby mijas bound » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:54 pm

i would say in defence of the place that i love the "two fingers up to the Spainish" attitude of GB.
its the most hypocritical attitude i ve ever seen, the Spanish "own " Cuerta, and thats on a different continent!!!

how dare they ask us for Gib back (but for my money they could have it )
Via con DIABLO

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:57 pm

Peteroldracer, can you tell us where we should go in Gib, I´m not being sarcastic, I would like to see the good side of Gib :D