10 reasons not to live in a built up area

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
olive
Andalucia Guru

10 reasons not to live in a built up area

Postby olive » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:13 pm

10 reasons why I hate the "coast".

1. The noise. Cars, motorbikes, lorries, scooters, building work, Landanah's, chairs scraped across marble floors in flats at 3a.m., domestic arguments at 3.10 a.m.

2. Unfinished buildings, urbanisations, roads etc.

3. East end accents (Landanah's from the sarfend)

4. People not speaking Spanish in shops, bars etc. People shouting at the locals 'cos they don't understand English, German etc.

5. People drive everywhere like nutters instead of 40kph.

6. There is nowhere to keep pigs, goats and chickens.

7. Too much crime. You can't leave your car, garage and house unlocked. you can't leave your tools out overnight to pick up a job where you left off.

8. Dirty air and pollution - you only see that when you are entering the zone from the so called campo. Have a look at the pall over Malaga. You are breathing that. I wonder if the sea is any better?

9. All day full English breakfasts.

10. Finally the water tastes disgusting with all the treatments it has had to get to your tap.

Country for me, olive.

Kmoppz
Resident

Postby Kmoppz » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:20 pm

:D :D :D

I'd like a combo of both Campo and coast...

I want the land for growing stuff, and a few chickens, but I also want the bus of the coast, city boy at heart, ut want the trappings of the country!

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:25 pm

We do get noisy scooters at the weekend and summer when the Spanish go to their ´country houses´ :( Kids use the track by our house as their personal race track :shock:

shortfuse
Tourist

Postby shortfuse » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:47 pm

Hi Olive,
Although I am a confirmed & committed 'townie' I agree with much of what you say EXCEPT - '3. East end accents (Landanah's from the sarfend)'
These are three distinct geographical and, dare I say, ahem, cultural areas. :wink:

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:52 pm

east end.. and sarfend in the same sentence? wash ur mouth out :evil:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:56 pm

I think the words Olive is looking for are 'Estuary English.'
Grouser

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:12 am

"Estuary English"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

olive

Stupot
Andalucia.com Amigo

Coast v Campo

Postby Stupot » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:21 pm

Why is it that everyone seems think that the campo and the coast are the only two places to live around here? How about a village about 20 mins inland from Torre del Mar surrounded by campo. I am the only English person in the street but I have great Spanish neighbours and good British friends too. Water, electricity, telephone ADSL all 24 hours and reliable apart from the odd very rare short outages of electricity if there is lightning. There is no traffic to speak of but get the usual occasional idiot on a motorbike and very little crime.

Two village supermarkets, three banks, half a dozen bars all five minutes from home, own medical centre with Emergency treatment (up to a point), two ambulances, loads of little shops dotted around the back streets. As a THIRD option I can recommend it highly ( and I own the land the house is on!). Now, back to the terrace for a beer in the constant cooling breeze!
Stupot

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:11 pm

99 percent of the time it is the campo close to town for me. We are only 3 ks from our nearest town which has almost everything you could wish for. Unfortunately the 1 percent of the time when I do not like it is when, as now, there is a festering dead goat 100 yards from the end of our drive. Ugh!!
Life is 'ard den you die!

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:30 pm

no dead goats in town today,anyway i expect your local spanish bar may be having a carribean night soon
jayne countys most famous song,google it

samantha
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samantha » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:25 pm

number 12, Whats about the ehhh up chucks..........northern lads and lasses with their knotted hankies and sandles and white socks, complaining about the beer prices on the coast...'owww much? '
Please support Pepi´s Dog Refuge
www.pepisdogrefuge.com

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Living in Andalucia

Postby wagon ropes » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:46 pm

Guess what! Yesterday two men and a JCB arrived on our track to repair a huge gouge which was caused by an oversize load driving past about 6 months ago and then, today, the Municipal dead goat recovery lorry arrived and removed the festering goat. It just goes to show that, in Spain, be it coast or country, everything comes ( or in this case goes) for he who waits
Life is 'ard den you die!