Death In Spain

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Troglodyfae
Resident

Death In Spain

Postby Troglodyfae » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:55 am

Sorry I know this is not the best of subjects, but I have to ask. My mum, bless her cottons is not a very well lady, as some will already know. She is terminally ill with breast cancer. I know that someday soon 'Aud the intrepid' will finally shuffle off her mortal coil. Now do not get me wrong here, I love my Mum to bits and when that day comes I will be totally in bits. However I have to ask if someone dies at home, which is going to be the case, who the hell do we call? What is the procedure? Does anyone know? I could ask Aud as she has lost two husbands here in the last 21 years, but I feel that it would be a tad insensitive right now.

This thought struck me today because Aud is very unwell right now and given her age (84) I expect the worst.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:56 am

Troglodyfae, you are being very sensible to be prepared. My brother is ill and I am his next of kin (he is back in the UK though) I spoke to my friend who works in an undertakers office (in the UK) and she gave me a booklet to read about what to do, but I know the UK situation is different from the Spanish situation.
Maybe the local undertaker here would be the person to ask or your Doctor? I hope you can find some help to be prepared.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:12 am

We have the following Undertakers bookmarked, it may be of use to you:
http://www.stchristophersfuneralhome.com/

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:05 am

Hi I can't offer any help re your question just wanted to say how sad it is about your mum, she sounds like a fab lady and I'm sure with your positive attitude to life you will cope really well when the worst happens, my best wishes to you all xx

Ama
Resident

Postby Ama » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:11 am

I'm sure somebody from CUDECA could inform you.

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:03 pm

First of all the following is an account I was told by a friend.
In the event of death in the family home the police must be informed and the body will be determined movable only after a magisterial permit. Be prepared to give the police all paperwork relating to the deceased and be able to say whether or not it will be a burial or cremation.
When contacting the undertaker there may be monies to be paid.
Make sure you tell the chosen undertaker for the 4 days delay period so that family and friends can come over or else the funeral could take place in 24 hours.
Check to make sure that the deceased was not in a death plan in which case contact them and let them handle the entire proceedings.
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:26 pm

keddyboy wrote:First of all the following is an account I was told by a friend.
In the event of death in the family home the police must be informed and the body will be determined movable only after a magisterial permit. Be prepared to give the police all paperwork relating to the deceased and be able to say whether or not it will be a burial or cremation.

This is not the case everywhere, and only in the case of a sudden unexplained death.

Usually if the person is ill and receiving treatment and expected to die the doctors certificate will suffice and the police are not involved.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:38 pm

Be prepared to give the police all paperwork relating to the deceased
What is this paperwork please? Passport? Or what?

Andy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Andy1 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:54 pm

Our friend is very ill at the moment and paperwork has been given by his doctor that he is under to say exactly what the problem is and what he is being treated for. If he dies at home (which is probable)they will be able to hand over the paperwork so an autopsy etc is not carried out.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:40 am

Thank you all for your advice. I did finally get some rather good information from a site on the Costa Blanca and tbf I have no idea why I did not check there first as they have a listing on my website....doh!

This is a link to their website. They are a charitable organisation and the fact sheet on death I found most informative.

http://www.helpvegabaja.com/index_1.htm

I hasten to add all their fact sheets are pretty useful, and worth a look at.

My mother has now informed me that she has no immediate plans for departure, but when she does it will be first class :lol: :lol:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:24 am

My ex's mother was always a bit of a snotty cow - little finger stuck out as she sipped a pink gin, and never, never used sliced bread - but did come up with a gem when discussing her wishes for her funeral. There were two ways in to the cemetery, and she was quite firm that the courtege should approach along X road, and turn left, a she had "never travelled except by turning left as she set off".
Those who have only flown budget may not understand the reference!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

ICCSL
Andalucia.com Amigo

Death in Spain

Postby ICCSL » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:30 am

Many insurance companies offer a policy for this and very little cost per year. I took one out because both my daughters live in the UK and I can think of nothing worse than them having to deal with this, especially when they speak very little Spanish.

Many Spaniards also have these policies because effectively on the death of someone the insurance company organises practically everything. The cost of a funeral varies from area to area but in the last few years I have seen prices of funerals from 1,600 euros to 5,800 euros (and all of the funerals were for Spaniards)
Tina