Looking to buy a Satellite for UK TV

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
yummymummy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Looking to buy a Satellite for UK TV

Postby yummymummy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:22 am

Can anyone recommend a good and reasonably priced satellite installation company that would install in Marbella? Please pm me the details if you wouldn´t mind.

Also, how much should I be looking to pay?

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:47 am

Too far away for yourself but for reference, in our area it runs to about 250 euros with small dish and free to view box or I paid 450 for 1.3 dish and sky box/card.
Down on the coast the 1.3 installation seems to be 550-650 euros.
Although with the current recession I'd be doing one serious haggle 8)

Kenny

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:07 am

Television World (near La Cala) are reliable. Don't know about prices, they were never the cheapest.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:13 am

The cheapest is often a false economy.

Television World's prices, although competitive, are not the cheapest but they have been in business here for at least fifteen years and can be relied upon to do a good job with excellent after sales service.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:37 am

Exactly :)

yummymummy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby yummymummy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:43 am

Thank you all for your feedback. Is it then a false economy to buy my own dish (I´ve see a 1.3 advertised for 75euros) and then the box and get hubby to do it (who claims he can). Has anyone done their own?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:29 pm

This is possible but you need a good quality dish that is not warped or bent and an LNB that matches it.

Conehead
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Conehead » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:24 pm

And do not forget lining the dish up with the satellite.
Make sure you have line-of-site to the satellite you want, I assume Astra 2D.
Also find a good mounting point for the dish to ensure its not "adjusted" by the wind etc.
Then you have to get the best signal you can, this you can pay about E50 for somebody to do for you. Even with a "Satellite Finder" meter :P (have one, tried it, now relegated to the junk box) its best to leave it to the people with the correct signal strength and quality meter.
Paying for a good installation is well worth it. Have had no problems with ours even through all the high winds and never lost a channel due to winds etc.
Due to the high cost of energy, the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off until further notice.

lyndajo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lyndajo » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:52 pm

bear in mnd also that "size matters" when it comes to the dish :) You don't want it too small, :oops: , depending on what you want of-course :D

Also check, if you get a company to do it, that they do recalls free of charge....for realignments etc.

Pigeon Tim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pigeon Tim » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:01 pm

I used these guys and would recommend them

http://www.tvonespain.com/packages.htm

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:18 pm

Paul Anderson has been recommended on here a few times. He did ours and we've never had a problem. His phone number is 661568385. He's based in Benalmadena, and has a landline, but I don't have the number. I think he usually advertises in Sur in English. Sorry, can't remember what we paid as it was 2 years ago.
AlisonB

McT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby McT » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:23 pm

yummymummy wrote: Has anyone done their own?
I did it myself and it was relatively easy. I bought a second-hand dish and borrowed a cheap signal strength meter. Using Google Earth I drew a line from a point on the equator at 28 degrees east back to my house and selected a nearby landmark on that line to line up the dish by eye. I set roughly the correct elevation of the dish by the marks on the adjustment bracket where it had been set before. I then used the meter for fine adjustment.

McT

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Looking to Buy a Satellite dish for UK TV

Postby wagon ropes » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:28 pm

We did it ourselves too using a signal strength meter to set it up. It really is quite easy but you do need a TV near where the dish is otherwise someone has to sit in front of the TV in the house shouting the equivalent of 'up a bit down a bit' We used an old portable.

Actually, the reason we did it ourselves was because we got a huge dish, free, from the Spanish Diesel Line maintenance firm. They were changing one dish for another and himself plucked up the courage to ask if we could buy the old dish. No it's bassura the bossman said but we could have it for free!!! He told us he would clear it with the office and get the paperwork done and then 'phone us. To tell the truth I didn't expect to hear any more but about a week later we got a call from a woman who spoke English to say that we could pick up the dish the next day.

We were over the moon. The dish is a 1.8 metre one and we get a super signal plus I was so impressed by the effort the Spanish had put in to let us have it. They can be lovely people :wink:
Life is 'ard den you die!

alba
Andalucia.com Amigo

satellite tv/sky

Postby alba » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:42 pm

Had a engineer called Phil who works for a satellite company that we called but does "home jobs on the side. Rigged us up with a plamsa 42" a sky box, router to our bedroom where we can watch all and a small flat screen wall mounted. Basically the works but do not have the exact cost as the receipt is in our home in Monda, inland marbella. Give me your number and will contact with details. His mobile number is on my spanish phone. Due in Spain 16th July.
Alba

julian
Andalucia Guru

satellite

Postby julian » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:57 pm

Phil might be looking for a new job soon if his boss sees this :shock:

pirate
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pirate » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:45 pm

There is a box in the A.com classified adds for sale, obviously you would need a dish and installation, they are more expensive here than in the Uk
Snot me, stwiscki

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:15 am

boxes on ebay uk are cheap as chips, 15 pound upwards.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.