1st summer here

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
toffeeboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

1st summer here

Postby toffeeboy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:00 am

Hi there, first summer in Andalucia and struggling with the heat and the bites, can someone tell me how long bite season goes on for and when the summer starts to cool. I have been told the 2nd half of August the nights start to cool down a bit.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:02 am

Hi and welcome! Depends where you are of course but realistically, bites continue well into October and sometimes longer, and nights rarely cool down before mid to late September!!
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

toffeeboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby toffeeboy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:04 am

Woo hoo lol. We are north of Cordoba in the campo. And no air con, and when we do manage to create a breeze through clever window and door openings, its a bit like a hairdrier

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:08 am

My first summer here I thought I would die of the excessive heat but you do get a bit used to it! :) Best thing we did was get the aircon units for the living room and the lounge. I never thought I would sleep for 2 hours in the afternoon, but I do now! As for the biters.... I use plenty of anti mosquito spray! Smother myself with it :D

Heston
Resident

first Summer here

Postby Heston » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:19 am

Welcome!! it is exceptionally hot for June at the mo this heat is normally July and August and they have given out severe heat warnings for jaen next week!!!!

As for bites buy Avon skin so soft shower gell and body cream and the blighters will leave u alone!!!The mossi plug ins from the Supermarkets are good too
x

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:20 pm

You can also get personal battery operated mosi repelants (Carefore)

They have a range of abut 2m, so clipped on your belt they bother other people - not you

It sure works for me .....

As for the heat ...and no pool and no air con - Drink continuosly - I find cerveza the best !
You dont get much cooler - but you just dont care !

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:23 pm

we sleep with the fan at the bottom of the bed,so that it moves the breeze left and right...this stops the mossies from being able to cross it..we rarely get eaten alive by them(unless there is a power cut in the night) :lol:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:11 pm

Last winter we hardly had any really chilly days, just a couple of slight frosts on the car nothing more.
No need for heating in the bedrooms (unless you are my friend who likes the bedroom temp over 26 deg)
When we were in Cadiz at the weekend the restaurant had a ´mist´ sprayer in the outside bit of the bar- it was lovely- I am sure I have seen them advertised somewhere in one of the free mags. Now I would really like one of them on the patio!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:22 pm

Halleys Insect repellent, available from farmacias, works better than Avon stuff or anything else......

Heat? Close windows and shutters against direct sun and open when in shade. Keep air moving, buy ceiling fans and set to cool, AC if really needed, fly screens on all windows and doors.....you do get sued to it but it feels hotter this year as the heat came on so suddenly after such a cool May

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:54 pm

According to Sur it is hot air coming from Africa. A few of us were discussing it in the local farmacía and the pharmacist blames the vast destruction of trees in Andalucía. Could be right, trees always work better than a sunshade.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:12 pm

To stay cool....

I lay in my tent on a bed of silk, whilst two sultry buxom wenches fan me with palm fronde's, and on my right side a scantily clan maiden of African origin feeds me with chilled grapes, and on my left side another gorgeous beauty pours me cava, which is chilled to perfection...And in front of me is a large screen television showing the highlights of this weeks footie..... 8)
WAKE UP...WAKE UP....
......your teas going cold...my Wife has rudely awoken me....

B@gger !!! :oops:

Oh well...I'll just have to turn the aircon on.... :(

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:44 pm

Benidorm wrote
and on my right side a scantily clan maiden of African origin feeds me with chilled grapes
More like...
on my right side a scantily clan maiden of African origin feeds me with Chilled FIGS
hahahaha

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:47 pm

The figs probably wouldn't be chilled though. He'll have to suffer those as they are!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:30 pm

To be quite honest if the figs were being served to me by a sultry maiden I wouldn't care if the figs were deep fried and battered .....with salt and vinegar......... :D :D

G..........

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:09 pm

randy old bugga! :lol: :lol:
Last edited by princess peach on Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:16 pm

Now I've got a lot of time and respect for scantily clad maidens and I think the world would be a poorer place without them, in my book they are a very good thing and provide a good service.........................but............

If a scantily clad maiden came into my house while I was watching football on the telly and started trying to feed me Chilled Cava and Grapes with her African knockers hanging out I'd say."Oi, scantily clad maiden, NO!!!!!!! 8)

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:34 pm

Campo Kenny wrote: If a scantily clad maiden came into my house while I was watching football on the telly and started trying to feed me Chilled Cava and Grapes with her African knockers hanging out I'd say."Oi, scantily clad maiden, NO!!!!!!! 8)
No you wouldn´t ............. you would

a. use the Sky control and pause or record
b. listen to the commentary with occasional glimpses at screen
c. try and wait until half time

:D

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:13 pm

:D

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Well.....
Being cross-eyed I am able to watch the footie and maidens at the same time, and anyway I need to have some distractions during the commercials..... :lol:

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: 1st summer here

Postby wagon ropes » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:41 pm

Welcome Toffeeboy
All suggestions for relief are good but, if you do get bitten, the only really brilliant remedy I have come across is Anthisan cream.It is amazing and stops itching at once. I haven't found anything to touch it in Spain but you can buy it in Gibraltar; or get friends to send it out from England
Life is 'ard den you die!