Registering with a doctor, some questions

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Zofia
Resident

Registering with a doctor, some questions

Postby Zofia » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:38 am

Well I have finally got my Social Security number so toddled off to the local med centre to register the family with a doctor (nice to know that receptionists are the same everywhere.....helpful....NOT!).

She told me that our papers have to go to Granada and it will take a month before we can use the service. I asked what happens if we need a doctor before then, and she muttered something about Urgencias. But what if we need to see a dr when its not an emergency,but neither is it something that I want to wait a month for (I have an ongoing problem, a bit scary and would like tests to rule certain things out, and don't really want to stew for a month)? Can I insist on seeing a doc?

Also, do get a medical on registering, and if so, how thorough is it?

Do I need a separate gynaecologist? I have registered the kids with a paediatrician....

How easy is it to change doctors? I had to choose a doctor from a list (no idea about any of them), I asked if any of them spoke any English and she couldn't tell me. My Spanish isn't bad, but will find it a bit difficult to explain the intricacies of my medical history (especially 'ladies' stuff'), and OH doesn't speak much Spanish. Neither do the children (they are only 4).

And finally, due to previous stuff I have to have smear tests every 3 years for life, and am due one now. Can I just ask for one (and what on earth is the Spanish for smear test....?), I am also due a mammogram , same for that, are they provided at the med centres?

Any help/info appreciated. Thanks.
Finally really and properly living in Andalucia.

Andy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Andy1 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:03 am

Sorry, I can't help with the rest of your questions but smear test in Spanish is citologia.

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:06 am

Thanks Andy, that's something.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:38 pm

Years ago when I first moved here we were covered by our E106 for 2 years and I managed to register with a local doctor. I too have needed regular tests like you and I went to see the Dr and said I wanted them done. She asked me why, as it obviously seemed strange to her that I wanted them done just as a precaution, but I did manage to explain my previous history and I did get them done OK.

I don't know if it is any help, but I had these tests done privately last year as I am no longer covered by the NHS here and have no insurance, and they weren't too expensive. The 'citologia vaginal' was 21€ and the gynae consultation of 78€ included an internal scan. I needed both a mammagram and scan and that was 144€. Obviously it will be free if you can get them done through the local doctor but just in case you can't wait, it doesn't cost a fortune to put your mind at rest.

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:38 pm

Last week I asked my doctor for a smear test, as I have not had one scine I left the UK 4 yr ago. No problem, he printed off my appointment there and then. I have to go to Seville. Can´t remeber the terminology I wrote down, it was not what the above post said I am sure it was somthing begining with P. On my appointmet it says Primera consulta procedente de AP and it is with the Ginecologia department.............so I will have to wait and see :D

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:11 pm

How do I go about getting any tests done privately? a complete gynae overhaul sounds just thing I need!! Mammogram and smear tests can wait....

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:20 pm

I went to a private GP for various things and whilst there I asked about these tests and she recommended the Clinica Rincon in Nerja, (which obviously is not very useful to you in Loja!) In future I think I can just turn up and see the gynaecologist without any referral from a GP.