resession? no money? where !!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

resession? no money? where !!

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:19 am

i was working in marbella today (riviera) and the people there were renting the house.. for 6000 euro a WEEK. ok it was a big place, but.. howwwwwwwwwwwwww much?? i thought everyone was sposed to be skint??
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

skint

Postby Julie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:14 am

The people who are in a postion of finacial security are ok, if you have no morgage and money in the bank, although having said that, you still notice everything is going up, the people who are retired and trying to get along on there pension, no realising the exchange rate would plummett, they will be feeling the pinch, and definately anyone who was already living above there means, I think its probably effecting more people than it isn't, :(
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

julian
Andalucia Guru

recession

Postby julian » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:46 am

There is the same amount of money now as there was before, it doesnt evaporate!

Acen
Resident

Re: recession

Postby Acen » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:44 am

There are plenty of people living on the Costa that work in Gibraltar and earn Pounds. So yes in £££ there is the same amount of money but with the weak pound, the spending power in Euros has evapotared by 20% since last year.

julian
Andalucia Guru

money

Postby julian » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:46 am

there is the same amount of money in the world whether it´s in pounds, euros or yens ! all this talk of no one having any money...it´s all out there somewhere!

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:14 am

Same amount of money maybe, although I don't know who verified that :?

What I do know is that the "same amount of moneys" buying power alters at an alarming rate year in year out.

Kenny

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:52 am

Too right Kenny - look at what happened in Zimbabwe - they just took 10 zeros off their currency.........

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:36 pm

Don't really understand your point Julian, the current economic climate means that the same amount of money gets you diddlysquat compared with what it got you 5 years ago.
Think Spanish Lad was just commenting that there are the lucky folks that are still able to spend a high price on renting a villa for their hols.
SL maybe they they rented one for 10000 last year and have had to tighten their belts this year :wink:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Story in the Mail today about a couple who have earnt 28 million from the credit crunch. Many making a good profit out of the rising/falling stock market too.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:51 pm

Yes read that, I say good luck to them.

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:59 pm

Is this credit crunch a breakfast cereal or a biscuit or what?
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:13 pm

julian wrote:There is the same amount of money now as there was before, it doesnt evaporate!
I, like many others expats in Spain, get paid my company pension from the UK in £ sterling.
About a year ago I was getting about 145 € for every £100, now I'm getting only about 125 € for every £100.
Yes, I like many others, are begining to feel the pinch.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:32 pm

SL there will always be rich people, often with more money than sense. I don't suppose the sale of Rolexes, Aston Martin's, designer clothes, paintings etc have been too badly hit (look at Abramovich spending 17 million pounds on a picture of a big fat woman on a couch :shock: ). It's just Mr and Mrs Average like most of us who notice that our money doesn't go so far these days, and have to cut back on our spending :cry: .

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:14 pm

gerryh wrote:
julian wrote:There is the same amount of money now as there was before, it doesnt evaporate!
I, like many others expats in Spain, get paid my company pension from the UK in £ sterling.
About a year ago I was getting about 145 € for every £100, now I'm getting only about 125 € for every £100.

Cheers
Gerry
Yes I think most people have an income from the UK in one way or another. It will also have an effect on the local Spanish economy too.

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:27 pm

gerryh wrote:

Cheers
Gerry
Yes, same here, we live on my husband's Teachers' Pension.

As well as the exchange rate getting worse, the cost of living is also going up.

We were in the UK for seven weeks earlier this year and one of the things we found, contrary to expectation, was that Asda is cheaper than Mercadona.

That wasn't the case when we first came to Spain four years ago.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:32 pm

Tomatoes, peppers and most other stuff was cheaper in The Netherlands a few weeks ago. Has been for a few years.

Was a programme on TV this morning, said inflation is now over 5% and rising. They were asking for comments in a Spanish food market and everyone was whinging. Good news is Olive oil has come down in price but Sunflowere oil risen about 30% :)

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:29 pm

Can't see how olive oil coming down is good news!!

An awful lot of people in Andalucia supplement or eke out a living producing olives. Fertiliser, chemicals, equipment and fuel have all rocketed. Maybe it is a seasonal thing to get rid of last years stockpile to do maintenance and cleaning in prep for this years harvest.

How can there be justification for sunflower oil going up by a whopping 30% by the same argument. The economy is not in good shape.

olive

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:44 pm

Er...good news was tongue in cheek! Suppose Sunflower oil has risen because they are no longer allowed to import all the dodgy toxic stuff from the Eastern bloc. Olive Oil is reduced because there is a glut of it at the moment, result of too many subsidies from the gang of idiots in Brussels.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:30 pm

I believe one of the main reasons for the price rise in sunflower and many other oils (rapeseed, maize etc) and sugar is because they are being contracted for and bought up for use as bio fuels.
Sandramay

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:02 pm

I'm all for converting my car to run on sunflower oil if it's going to save the planet, but not sure about frying my chips in diesel oil.
Somebody didn't think this idea through very well, did they? It's all very well looking for alternative ways to power our vehicles, but not if the flip side is millions of starving people surely? :shock:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.