'Signed for' post

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Robano
Andalucia.com Amigo

'Signed for' post

Postby Robano » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:02 pm

We have had parcels not arrive. I think it might be 'signed for' parcels that the local post office rejects. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have just ordered something from the UK and aksed them to send it ordinary parcel post but they have sent it 'signed for'!!

Steve
Now living, relaxing and passing the time Cornwall for a while - very often thinking of the Axarquia and its mountains.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:17 pm

Knowing what the Spanish post office is like I always get anything like this sent by carrier (preferable MRW and most certainly not SEUR) to my home address with instructions that my telephone number should feature prominently on the address label so that the courier can contact me to arrange a meeting point.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:23 pm

Must be a problem with your local postman/ post office.
Never have a problem here. He leaves a card in my post box and I go to the local post office to sign and collect.
Also haven't had any problems with SEUR or UPS.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:20 pm

We don't get a delivery at home and have a post box in the post office but they will not now put anything in our box unless it has the PO box number on it.

I have used SEUR three times over the years and each time they lost the document I was trying to send. I now use MRW with no problem whatsoever.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:22 pm

I've had letters that should have been signed for just left in my mail box, and a package sent ordinary post from the UK has just arrived back with the sender for the THIRD time. It is correctly adressed.
Gerry, you have been very, very lucky. We are less than 100 metres from the main Post Office in Torremolinos, but are lucky if we receive our mail once a fortnight. Utility bills frequently arrive after the payment limit date.
I would put Spanish postal delivery on a par with UK rubbish collection. :evil:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

costagirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costagirl » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:57 pm

I am in the Torremolinos area and have never had a problem with our post. I received something in the post from ireland today and it was posted on monday. :D

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:24 pm

Maybe our Postie just hates us, then. :shock:
I received something from the US today (3rd attempt), which apart from the post mark from Jamaica, NY (presumably there is a town in NY state called Jamaica?) also had a separate stamp on it, marked simply "Pakistan". Can anyone explain that? :shock: :shock:

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:26 pm

other than 2 items in the past 5 years, all our post to our PO Box has always been delivered efficiently. mail from uk and ireland take 2 or 3 working days to arrive. if the item is too big for mail box, a note is left in to collect it from the counter.
mail sent from here has also, almost always, been delivered safely too.
We are very pleased with the service we receive, both when we lived on Costa Tropical, and here in La Luz. :lol:

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:40 pm

No problem sending mail - seems they can't get rid of it quick enough. But I receive more mail in my box for other people, at completely different addresses, than for myself. Maybe our postie is illiterate?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:08 am

Miro wrote: Maybe our postie is illiterate?
I assume that you made that remark in jest, miro, but the just-retired postmaster in Comares certainly was - seriously! :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:59 am

When we first moved out, I found out which bar my postie drinks in, I went to this bar, introduced myself to him, bought him a drink and we’ve never had a problem with our mail.
OK, it’s a small town, but it’s maybe worth a try wherever you are???

gretch

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:52 pm

Got to try that Gretch. We have only had 3 letters sent to us by registered post and all three were returned to sender as un-deliverable. I guess we should be grateful for the fact that they were not just binned :lol:
We have only got an apartado address and that seems to be where the problem lies. We are currently trying to get the pensions office to accept certified copies of our birth certificates as we do not want to risk the originals getting lost!
Life is 'ard den you die!

Robano
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Robano » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:58 pm

I recieved a parcel this morning that was delivered to the apartado address - so some success. I will see where the one posted yesterday gets to - it was sent 'signed for' regardless of my requests to the sender!!

Steve
Now living, relaxing and passing the time Cornwall for a while - very often thinking of the Axarquia and its mountains.

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:21 pm

The postie here always leaves are card in the letter box for any signed for stuff if we are not in or it is too big for him to carry up the hill, I think there is a time limit though as to how long they will hold it in the post office.

But we have never had any problems :)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:26 pm

Not many problems, I do tip him about twice a year and sometimes he has been twice in one day. Our PO (sub) sends anything that needs signing for back to central Marbella after about 3 days.

Only blip is holidays and sickness when they send someone who looks about 13!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:54 pm

Had no mail for three weeks - then, three deliveries this week. Maybe our postie is reading this thread :shock:

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:02 pm

In the post office in Rincon they have a box for our village, and my friend and I look through it every couple of weeks. Sometimes post that has not been delivered to the correct place lies in this box for weeks.

Lots of people have PO Boxes, but you would be surprised at the amount of post that is addressed to the finca or parcela address, and ends up in the box.

It is more annoying to see post that is correctly addressed, but which ends up in the box, just because the postman can't be bothered to deliver it!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:29 pm

Yes! We have one of those boxes here too. It's a large green plastic container on wheels, and it's parked in the street just outside the main Post Office. Unfortunately, the council empty it every night, so if you don't check daily, you'll never get your mail. :wink:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:40 pm

We have one of a set of post boxes set up in the entrance to our village's little school, and this works fairly well except when the mail is registered or is a parcel.
An "aviso" is left, telling you to go to Comares (6km away up a rough track or 15 by road) in the case of registered mail, or if a parcel, to go to El Borge, a 45km round trip! If you are in Madrid and look at a map of Comares area, ignoring roads, it looks to be about 2km as the crow flies - in reality it is a couple of hours out of your life and 8€ in diesel! :twisted:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:05 am

We used to have an open box which resided on the steps to the post office. Mind you these steps were inside a building . Last year they gave us all the option of getting a post office box at the edge of an urbanization at the bottom of the hill on the way up to Los Portales. Any parcels too big for our box are kept at the post office for about two weeks and a note placed in the box to advise us of it and opening times for the post office. The system seem to work like a charm and they have even apologized for not being able to fit a small package through the slot. I have no complaints so far, though if mail is not properly addressed it is returned to sender. Nothing has disappeared since we first started receiving mail 3 years ago

Fred