Mucho viento!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:54 pm

El Cid wrote:
karandjon wrote:We used to live on the Costa Tropical and it was windy practically every afternoon, 9 months of the year! Often, if it started in the morning, it never gave up all day!
You do surprise me. We live on the Costa Tropical and while we do get some very windy days in winter (like everywhere else on the south coast) the wind is no different from the Costa del Sol.

In fact today we had some strong winds - but only 25 knots which is only a moderate to strong breeze in meteorological terms. This is the strongest wind we have had for 3 months. Most days this summer there has been little or no wind - not even a sea breeze.

Whereabouts did you live? There are always local effects that can create areas that tend to get stronger winds - funnelling effects in valleys etc but the coasts are less affected by this.

Sid
We lived 15 minutes inland from Motril. The Sierra Lujar was behind us with the coast to the front. The majority of the time, the wind would start up at almost 12-1pm every day!
I haven´t ever lived on the costa del sol so could not compare it to there. All i know is that the Huelva end of the Costa de la Luz , 15 minutes inland, is not windy at all. :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:40 pm

karandjon wrote: We lived 15 minutes inland from Motril. The Sierra Lujar was behind us with the coast to the front. The majority of the time, the wind would start up at almost 12-1pm every day!
That probably explains it Karen. I don't know what direction the wind was coming from but if it was from the coast it is a sort of inland sea breeze where the mountains heat up and the air rises, sucking more air up the valley from the coast. It would tend to start about the middle of the day.

We often get the opposite effect at night where the wind comes down from the mountains and gives a strong northerly wind. In the summer it can be very hot and in the winter very cold.

I have sailed along this coast many times and you also notice the effect at sea. When you sail past a valley the wind can increase dramatically offshore because of the wind being sucked up from the coast to the mountains. A few miles later - flat calm!

Sid

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:53 pm

Yes, it almost always came from the coast! I wondered why it happened so regularly. I could be in town and it was as calm as anything...as soon as i got halfway up road to the village....up started the wind!
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie